Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

another one step forward, one step back post

May 9, 2012 3:25 PM

Just noticed this on CS6 (Mac):

After I work on a project, I use ChronoSync to backup my project folder (which contains all my media and other assets besides caches) to another drive, which is an interim backup until LTO.

Now, ChronoSync is re-writing ALL my media to the back up disk.  This is a big deal when I have 120GB of media in a project, which isn't unusual.

What was taking a few seconds or minutes is now taking hours.

I can see that Pr is changing the modification date on my media when I open (or maybe save) a project.  This is what ChronoSync is looking at to determine whether to backup that file or not.

I'm not changing the media (not intentionally anyway).  Why the change in the way Pr works?  I don't see an advantage.  Can anybody (especially from Adobe) provide some insight?

I'm guessing that Pr is adding some metadata to my source files, yes?  Is this necessary?  Can I turn it off? 

If Pr is modifying my sources, doesn't this risk corrupting my media files?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 10, 2012 10:58 AM   in reply to Jim Curtis

Hi Jim,

I haven't used ChronoSync before, instead relying on Time Machine to back up all of my files except the media files.  I put those files into a separate folder which I exlude from the TM backup (And I back up the original media files once to a drobo on ingest so I can always go back to the original camera footage if necessary)  Anyway, you didn't ask about other workflows, but I'm wonderng if an interim solution is to leave all of your media in a separate folder structure that you can ignore with ChronoSync?  Probably not a groundbreaking idea, and it doesn't address the actual issue of why Pr re-writes the modification date....but maybe something to do right now to make sure you have backups.

Now I am curious - can you give me  brief explanation why ChronoSync is better for backup than Time Machine? Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 11:21 AM   in reply to Jim Curtis

Doesn't anybody else do incremental backups?

Only manually, and even then just the project file itself using Save Copy... to a separate hard drive.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 12:15 PM   in reply to Jim Curtis

Thanks for the longer description of your workflow. 

A couple of notes:

As far as the ingesting of footage coming off of cards or HDs from the shoot, I use an app designed especially for this called Shotput Pro.  It is designed to ingest footage, append filenames, copy to multiple locations and verify the data.  If you haven't already, check it out - works great on location for a smooth data process.

Time Machine will work in the same way of only doing incremental backups of what has changed since the last scan.  I guess in this way, you would come up against the same issue of the changed modification dates causing havoc.

I use Time Machine to back up everything except for the shoot reels, which would quickly fill my TM drive.  After ingesting all of the footage into my file structure, I will copy the Shoot Reels to a Drobo drive where it will be protected as a backup outside of Time Machine.  Since the original media isn't being modified over the course of an edit, I can always retrieve it and relink the files if my HD that I edit from blows up.  (Not to delve too deep into a backup discussion, but if it is really sensitive footage, i will make another copy and store it in my safe deposit box at the bank)  So, that leaves all of the other files that do get backed up to TM hourly, which are generally much much smaller. 

I also like to leave everything related to one project in 1 folder.  Your note about not wanting to have to think about exluding folders from backup is something I share - however, I do have to manually tell TM not to backup the shoot reel folder for each project I create.  I haven't found an automated way of doing this yet.

I can be more specific about how I organize my project folders and how it fits into a backup workflow, but I don't think that is what you are looking for since you already have your workflow down (with the exception of this wrench Adobe threw into the works...) Only if you are interested i will share my system.

To your original question - I agree that the way CS6 modifies all of your footage mod dates is annoying and I wish i had an answer for you.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 1:28 PM   in reply to Jim Curtis

It was the Write XMP ID To Files On Import option that was relevant here.

That preference tells Premiere Pro to add a single piece of metadata (a number, basically) to each piece of media so that it can be tracked throughout the pipeline. That helps, for example, when creating media cache files, since Premiere Pro checks that number to see if that piece of media has already been processed.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 2:03 PM   in reply to Jim Curtis

Jim,

Glad you got this sorted out.  I'm curious - what RAID system do you have?  I have just striped 2 drives in my MacPro 4,1 and it has been ok, but looking to get a dedicated RAID.  I got really confused about RAID controllers and other hardware needed.  Don't mean to hijack the thread, but since you mentioned it, any advice you can offer?

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 2:33 PM   in reply to Jim Curtis

Jim Curtis wrote:

Thanks, Todd.  What does the "Refresh Growing Files Every ____ seconds" do?

That's a broadcast feature - for systems like Omneon MediaDecks, where you can be generating an MXF on the fly (say, an incoming satellite feed), we allow you to edit the file while it's still actively being captured.  That pref is the refresh interval at which PPro will update its snapshot of the MXF details, ie the available media duration.  This setting only actively applies to MXF files that it detects as incomplete (ie no partition footer).  It should have no bearing on completed MXF files, or on any other media type, for that matter.

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 4:45 PM   in reply to Jim Curtis

Jim, have you had any issues since you unchecked Write XMP ID To Files On Import ? Your post has inspired me to dive into Chronosync and I am wondering if:

a) Your always-updating file date situation has resolved

b) Any metadata or database issues cropped up since you don't have that option checked?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points