Skip navigation
donal017
Currently Being Moderated

Can I recover an audio file from CFA/ PEK file?

Apr 29, 2012 7:20 AM

Hello all:

I've somehow "lost" some important audio files, and the only related artifacts I can find are the .CFA and .PEK files in Adobe's "Media Cache Files" folder.

Any ideas on how I might recover a usable audio file from there?

Many thanks,

Donal

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 29, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to donal017

im pretty sure I did some research on this a while back..and basically found out ( if my memory is correct ) that the pek files are basically graphic representations of the sine wave of the sound file..and once generated and saved it speeds up the amount of time it takes to "show" the graphic representation of the waveform...

if the pek has to be generated each time you open the audio file it takes longer than if you generate it and " save " the pek file.

there is no sound information per se ...in the pek files.. no way to make sound from it.

if my memory is correct about this then there is no way to get audio out of the pek files.... its just a graphic basically.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 2:59 PM   in reply to donal017

They do, but they're for PP's internal use, so I don't know of any way to open one in another program to convert it back to WAV.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 5:18 PM   in reply to donal017

Sorry but, to the best of my knowledge, the CFAs won't help you here.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to donal017

My experiences mirror those of others here - CFA's can only be used by Premiere, when the original media files are available. I have never found a way to convert them to a self-contained audio file.

Sorry, but good luck,

Hunt

PS - if the original audio files were Deleted, then you might be able to recover them. I have had good luck with Stellar-Phoenix and also Recover My Files - two file recovery utilities, but I would try those ASAP, before the areas of the HDD are overwritten.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 5:15 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

OHHHHHH... i forgot all about that stuff...duh....i use this one

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

worked pretty good for me but you gotta catch it quick ..sorry...shoulda thought of that before !

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 4:47 PM   in reply to donal017

Sorry about that. Unless the HDD had seen virtually no use in that time, no defragmentation, etc., recovery will be impossible, this side of the NSA, and maybe not even then - they are in byte-heaven - RIP.

I was hoping that someone would drop by with "Oh, that's easy. Just run the CFA through _____, and it'll produce a WAV for you."

Just some radonm thoughts:

Were those files from a miniDV tape, and Captured?

Is that/those tape(s) still available?

Was the audio recorded onto tape (remember that flimsey brown stuff)?

If music, does another copy of it exist elsewhere?

Probably a big NO to all, but just thinking.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 5:01 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

here's another idea....

=========

I may be talking nonsense, but I'm a bit desperate as they are old recording of my kids saying cute things that I'd really love to recover.

Any ideas?

==========

soooo, you figure out what they were saying.... ( read their lips maybe on footage ) .... and you get ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS to do a Voice Over for you !!!!

fun for kids as they laugh at their chipmunk voices.. fun for the whole family !

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 12:18 PM   in reply to donal017

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers