Skip navigation
Dooferryforeva
Currently Being Moderated

Mask doesn't work.

May 10, 2012 2:00 PM

Tags: #masks

In Photoshop why is the area of my layer mask slightly visible, when it should be completely invisible?

When I add a layer mask to any layer, select the layer mask, then use the brush tool to paint COMPLETELY black on part of the layer image, where I've painted usually becomes totally invisible.

However, lately the part where I've painted on stays at about 7% visible, no matter how many times I paint over it, kind of like there's some setting which makes layer masks only work to a certain percentage, then doesn't let you to erase anymore.

***THE BRUSH OPACITY IS AT 100%.*** This happens on all the files I've tested on (including new ones). Both of the layers blend modes are normal.

Is this a glitch or a setting I added then forgot about? Even after I restarted the computer, the problem persisted, so I'm guessing it's a setting, but which one?

Replies
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,935 posts
    May 24, 2010
    May 10, 2012 2:25 PM   in reply to Dooferryforeva

What happens if you simply fill the mask with black rather than paint it in?

Try resetting Preferences (hold down Shift Alt Ctrl  or Shift Opt Cmd immediately after starting Photoshop).

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 10, 2012 3:31 PM   in reply to Dooferryforeva

Sounds like a glitch.  A perfectly black layer mask should make the layer perfectly transparent, and that's what I see it do.

Is your document an RGB document?

Can you do some screen grabs showing the problem graphically, and post them here?  Make sure your Layers panel is showing.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 10, 2012 3:55 PM   in reply to Dooferryforeva

When I sample your screen grabs the black color showing in your masks and in your foreground swatch is not (0,0,0).  Thus it is not pure black.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 10, 2012 4:08 PM   in reply to Dooferryforeva

I've seen some users mistake 100%K (in CMYK) for pure black. It is not. Make sure your brush (or fill color) is loaded with 0, 0, 0 RGB.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 10, 2012 6:32 PM   in reply to Dooferryforeva

Just to add, when using masks it easy to set the foreground and background colors to pure black and pure white and vice versa by hitting the D key for foreground black and background white

and the X key to switch to foreground white and background black.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 10, 2012 7:27 PM   in reply to R_Kelly

R_Kelly wrote:

easy to set the foreground and background colors to pure black and pure white and vice versa by hitting the D key

...Or clicking this little icon:

ThisLittleIcon.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points