Skip navigation
bberg4
Currently Being Moderated

Prolonged Startup of NIK software plugins with CS6

May 10, 2012 6:55 PM

I have CS6 (WinXP SP3) using NIK Software plug-ins ColorEfex Pro4, SilverEfex Pro2, Viveza, HDREfex Pro, Pro-Sharpener and Dfine.  When I click on CS6 to start the program, it quickly reaches the point where it says "starting plug-ins."  At this point, a few plug-ins load up, the ColorEfex Pro4 starts, but it takes 4 full minutes for this plug-in to load into CS6.  The SilverEfex plug-in takes about 4 seconds thereafter, and all the rest load almost instantly.  Once loaded into CS6,  the plug-ins do work.  If I remove the ColorEfex 4 itself, then the SilverEfex takes about 4 minutes to load.  With each of these, the computer warns me of high CPU usage.  If I delete both Color and SilverEfex plug-ins, the others load immediately.  What I do not understand is why I did not have this lengthy delay when I used these plug-ins with CS5.  It took about 25 seconds for ColorEfex Pro4 with CS5 but 4 minutes with CS6.   I know  I have an older computer, but it never was this slow before . Any thoughts?  Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 10, 2012 6:59 PM   in reply to bberg4

You'll have to ask Nik what they're doing during that time.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 7:10 PM   in reply to bberg4

I had the exact reverse; took forever to load in CS5 but greased lightening with CS6.

When I installed CS6 I un-installed all my NIK products, checked they had really gone from CS5, then re-installed, the NIK installer found all bersions of CS5 and CS6 (32bit and 64 Bit) and  all was OK. Assuming you have tried this approach and you still have slow loading of these plug-ins, I would reach out to NIK support.

But I can tell you NIK likes fast machines, on my old XP machine, Silver Efex Pro 2 took forever, and in use was a complete dog as well. When I upgraded to Win 7 loading was a way faster. I feel for you as I really did not want to spring for a new machine, but now glad I did.

MK

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 11:53 AM   in reply to MikeKPhoto

May I ask which folder you put the Nik's softwear in? Adobe are telling me not to put it in the plug-in folder.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points