Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is Illustrator CS5 performance better than Illustrator CS6?

Jan 8, 2013 10:23 PM

Tags: #illustrator #lag #cs6 #jumpy

There is a pretty sharp decline in smoothness of panning, zooming, dragging elements around the screen in Ai CS6.

Using both versions side by side on MacBook Pro i7, 8gb Ram, 10.6.8. Ai v16.0.0. The files are as small as 0-200k.

Ai CS6 is simply jumpy and laggy. Try a new blank artboard of 800x600 in both and drag around view at 100% zoom. The artboard skips around.

It's not unusable, but its there, and for me overshadows the improvements.

Thanks,

Brent

Replies 1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 8, 2012 9:37 AM   in reply to Brent Blaskievich

The Swatches and Edit Colors panel can be added to that list.  Pantone + libraries are an absolute nightmare for production use. Attempted to work on a Pantone job and it went absolutely no where real fast.  Could type in the PMS color in the Edit Colors dialog section and searching for a color when they aren't in numbered like a production facitility would use makes it pretty much impossible to find the color easily.  Plus adjusting screen tints is a lot more difficult since it won't show the selected color below the tint slider anymore.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 11:47 AM   in reply to Brent Blaskievich

My performance has significantly decreased. Even simple things like turning a layer on and off, in CS5 it's an instant action off/on, but in cs6 there is a half a second delay. Also dragging objects has a weird jaggy motion to it. I know this is an early release, but all of these reviews that are touting all of the great performance increases seems far fetched from what I have seen. I mean I can create a new file with 2 white boxes with a black background and it feels sluggish.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 12:06 PM   in reply to Brent Blaskievich

There must be some other force causing the poor performance. Log in as a differnt user and see if the issues go away.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 12:31 PM   in reply to [scott w]

Hey Scott,

Just checked it in another user login and still has the same problems. I would say the load times and things like file>new actions are way better and faster, but dealing with the layers panel issues like hiding and showing layers on and off are just slightly too sluggish.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 9:54 PM   in reply to Matt Warner

I do not find that there is a delay with hide show except on files that contain veryresource intensive art.

I created such a file which I am not going to do over with CS 6 which though took about 15 seconds for CS 6 to open CS 5 could not open it before crashing. Also though hide show showed a little lag for this file when doing hide show in the layers panel I do not believe it would have been faster or even as fast if CS 5 could have open the file.

On simple files I cannot tell the difference in hide show dragging and zooming and panning are fluid for me in both CS6 and CS% I catualy see no difference thoughi  feels more fluid in CS 6 bu I am not certain if it is because I have it set to the default background color which is dark or it actually is snapper it feels snappier.

As far the Color thing I for one do not quite understand what the poster is referring to. I don't think anything has changed? Please show a screenshot of what you say is missing?

Screen Shot 2012-05-11 at 12.44.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-05-11 at 12.48.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-05-11 at 12.49.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-05-11 at 12.49.46 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 10:10 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Wade:

In the Recolor artwork panel....change the color book to the Pantone + color guide, Coated for example.  After the colors change, double click one of them to choose the library.  In CS6 I'm unable to type in the color I want to use.  In CS5.5 it's a simple type in the number.  With the Pantone + libraries being chromatically ordered it's so much harder to locate a specific color without being able to just type the number in.  Scrolling through pages and pages to find the color isn't very time consuming.  I went ahead and copied the standard Pantone swatches from CS5.5 in.  It's quite the hassle to load the Pantone + swatch library in, sort by name just to get them to appear numerically in this dialog box.

The next complaint was this: CS6 on the left, CS5.5 on the right.  With the Tint % color showing CS6 no longer displays what the select color is.  Now with a one or two color job it's no big deal but put a 5-6 color job with similars colors getting the right color isn't going to be a lot trickier.

editcolors.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 12:32 AM   in reply to z284pwr

z284pwr wrote:

[............ stuff .........]

I can verify both of these are a problem.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 4:30 AM   in reply to [scott w]

I am sure yoiu are correct I can see the tint problem I  guess I have not used recolor art in that way, but I do not see where one would enter a colors pantone number to select it to replace another color?

As far as the first problem I eally would like to see where one would enter a pantone colors number to get it to be slected, I am definitely missing something here.

But regardless my own issue, I would agree they should be corrected and recolor art should be updated and zi would really like to see it as panel so one could do undos rather than a dialogue where you cannot do undos.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 9:44 AM   in reply to Brent Blaskievich

Do not know if it help.

Here´s the system requirements for Illustrator CS6 Mac OS and Windows: http://www.adobe.com/products/illustrator/tech-specs.html

Even if your computer attends the system requirements..Does Illustrator CS6 look slower than CS5?

I´ve tested Illustrator CS6 in both plataforms and for me it looks faster than never.

Gustavo.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 6:32 AM   in reply to Brent Blaskievich

I have been working on a project with very large number of layers, groups and symbols and with heavy effects and appearances. CS5 was an absolute dream. quick, responsive and almost one step ahead of me. CS6 on the other hand has about 50% of the performance of CS5 using the same documents and spec and im constantly waiting for redraw and selections to catch up.

I have now tested illustrator CS6 on my practically brand new (MBP i7 8gb ram) in the following modes:

OSX

Windows (virtual machine)

Windows (bootcamp)

interestingly, it runs better on windows vm than it does natively in osx. Windows in bootcamp mode is also very performant but i just cant understand how this performance issue could slip through beta. As an advanced illustrator professional, this is very bad news indeed and will most likely cost me if it isnt addressed soon.

This is very similar to Autodesk Maya 2012 version. When is went 64 bit, it just destroyed the professional user base.

- - - - - - - - some initial performance testing results - - - - - - - - -

It would appear that illustrator is a disk hog. You can get a slightly better performance by running it on its own with nothing else. even better if you go through your processes and kill everything except what you need. This still doesnt bring it up to cs5 levels.

The worst case scenario: I have found that using spotify to play local files while using ilustrator is a complete disaster.

mat

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 7:40 AM   in reply to Brent Blaskievich

I am running 10.7.3 on an original Mac

And Illustrator CS 6 runbs much faster than Illustrator CS 5. For instance i do a test for each new version to see if the performancce of my computer is the same for each version of Illustrator and do a different one for Photoshop.

In my test I asked CS 5 to apply the a drop shadow to 10,000 small squares that cover an 18 x18 inche area it takes CS5 3 minutes to do it but it takes CS6 1 1/2 minutes twice as fast.

In CS6 I accidentally made a mistake the first time i tried this, and this is important, in which when making the configuration of squares I did not leave a gap between the squares which meant the squares where bigger, that time it took CS 6 2 minutes to complete the task. Still bvetter than CS 5 by 1/3 faster. However I decided to see what CS  5 would do if the sqaures were arranged the same way. well it took over four minutes but it ran out of memory and could not complete the preview where as in CS 6 I could do this again in the same document without the need to close it out but in CS 5 I would no longer be able to obtain a preview for that document no matter what I did.

That is important because it shows that CS 6 magaes memory better can access both the scratch and RAM better use more of it and is more stable. In other words it is not just the speed that couunts and is being delivered it enables you to do things that simply where not possible before.

So where you say you are having problems I say the source could well be outside of Illustrator.

For instance say access to the RAM is some how being denied to Illustrator which uses more RAM to perform the task faster and with more capability, well then perhaps that would make it not appear to be doing its job correctly.  What would deny it this access to more of the available RAM I do not know. Or another thought is that you cold be using a different scratch disk for CS5 than you are for CS6 or what you are doing in CS6 is different from whyat you are doing in CS5.

But IMO this is not an equal evaluation in some form or the other. keep in mind about the RAM CS5 can only access i think it is 3GB orf RAM but CS 6 can access more if it is not getting to that RAM I would say that might curtail its performance since it is designed to use more memory.

But your Mac Book Pro should be running CS6 faster than CS5 unless of course it is configured to run as 32 bit instead of 64 bit!

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 8:15 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

In terms of general power, its great. as soon as it receives a task then the processor takes over and it does seem much quicker. What im talking about here is the speed at which the application responds to selections, screen draw, zooming, panning etc. for example, lets say I hold the space bar, thatll take a good 1-2 seconds to acknowledge and moving the display around with the hand tool will give me about 1 screen refresh every 2 seconds. Another example, double clicking on a symbol to edit it take 2 seconds in and longer to get out again.

Ive created new users, deleted prefs, reinstalled and everything. It would seem that it just cant manage large complex documents. It can crunch them sure, it just cant keep up with the pace in terms of manipulation of environment and objects. CS5 did it beautifuly.

cs6 is certainly in 64bit mode, that i know. disk usage is low, processors are practically idle, memory is freely available.

I will keep testing to isolate problem scenarios but at this point, generally, it seems a bit Beta.

any more suggestions would be gratefuly received.

mat

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 9:15 AM   in reply to edgeux

I have a very different experience han you are having with CS 6 it is responding much faster I see no delay at all.

here see for yourself I have no lag of any kind

http://www.wadezimmerman.com/videos/Pan.mov

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 9:38 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

I also noticed especially when I did the video that the display is much better in CS 6 than any previous version and since I have an Epson 1900 printer, which is not postscript, if Icould get a good print from Illustrator CS 6 without first exporting to Acrobat and printing from Acr4obat.

Well it turns out that in fact I no longer need to save as a pdf file and print from Acrobat I can print directly from Illustrator CS 6 to my Epson 1900 and get a perfect print.

As far as I am concern I have no reason to ever use CS 5 again.

I am really happy with the idea that Illustrator now prints to my inkjet like in the old days before Apple screwed things up.

All I can sayis well done job Illustrator team and thank you.

Wade

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 9:42 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Thank you for the example but I think we're talking about 2 completely different scenarios here. Just like you, I can draw simple shapes and manipulate them as you have shown. I can also crunch large tasks quite well. The deal is... I have a document i created in cs5 that contains about 50 hi res images, hundreds(if not thousands) of objects, 20 artboard, masses of effects and countless gradient fills. At this level cs6 simply cannot deliver an experience that cs5 could.

I have since tried embedding images, saved the file as uncompressed, removed superfluous data and used the cs6 file format. This has had some success, about 25% better than before. running illustrator solo on a fresh user account also gives about another 25%, that still leaves a significant performance issue for me with documents of this kind.

mat

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 10:09 AM   in reply to edgeux

I can't believe this I have to see a video comparing CS 5 and CS 6 or I am nott buyoing it at all.

I have file that tkes CS 6 about four minutes to pen and it has over twenty thousand objects with drop shadows and it does lag when I zoom and pan but CS 5 cannot open it because it runs out of memory. I just can't believe that you even expect such a large file to perform better in CS 5 than it does in CS 6. Show us!

Not only that yousay your running such file on a Mac Book Pro I find that evne harder to believe.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 10:46 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

I find this hard to believe my self : )

Sadly i cant show you this file, its a working project file and under strict NDA.

If I can find something else to show you then I will. for now, im afraid, youll have to take my word for it.

I have ordered a SATA 3 SSD 6Gbs drive that will arrive in the next couple of days. im hoping that this might help speed things up a bit as i see more slowness when there is other disk activity, but Im not expecting much difference.

Thank you for your continued interest. I will keep this thread updated with information as I find it.

mat

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 11:09 PM   in reply to edgeux

VERY disappointed with screen redraw performance in Illustrator CS6. Screen redraw still uses only one processor core, so on my iMac there are three cores useless while I wait the lagging screen to redraw. No performance enhancements at all where they are most needed.

The files I'm working with are typically screen printing separations with overprinting spot color blends (must use overprint preview to view correctly) or cmyk graphics with blends and various opacities. Document sizes are typically 200 cm wide and 20 cm tall. Zooming in and scrolling is very slow... 16GB RAM, Core i5 iMac.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 7:08 AM   in reply to ant_tip

I am now booting from SATA 3 and negotiating a 6Gbs link in the hope that this might improve scratch disk/disk activity and therefore some performance boost.  This hasnt made the slightest bit of difference other than opening and saving files.

Unusually, illustrator can now open and display the file faster than it can redraw it.

The entire mac is now really super fast, save illustrator.

mat

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 7:33 AM   in reply to edgeux

Yu know this is very hard to believe especially the part about the NDA and not being able to show it when you wrote you have lots of these files. And we have another user who also has problems on an iMac with a much smaller file which is even haarder to belive after seeing how it performs on my Old original MacPro which has a supposed much slower processor.

I just find this very hard to believe that your CS 5 is working faster wheen my CS 6 beats the living crap out of CS 5.

How do you figure it?

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 7:43 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

hey, look im not here to give or receive misinformation. I appreciate you're finding this hard to believe but can you please just accept that this is a valid observation because if you dont then all youre doing is making me sound like im intentionally trying to mislead or defame, which im not.

Im am posting here because it seems the best place for people to constructively support eachother and potentially find solutions. I will continue to post findings in the hope that it will help someone else.

mat

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 10:31 AM   in reply to Brent Blaskievich

Has there been any discussion on whether or nothing this being an Operating System problem at this point?  It seems most of the slow performance is from users on OSX platform?  I'm running a Core i7-930 with 12GB ram on Windows 7 and have had zero observable slow downs using the 64-bit version in comparison to CS5.5.  Is the Adobe suite being developer more closely on the Windows platform and simply ported to OSX similar to Console vs. Computer video games, perhaps the OSX versions isn't as well refined as Windows?  Just a thought.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 11:47 AM   in reply to Brent Blaskievich

Possibly using a different Document Raster Image Effects Setting that could make a very big difference.

Lower the raster image Effect to 72 and yiu are probably flying again and you only hsve to change it back when sending to output

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 11:57 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

The specs on some of the computers posted in here should have zero problems running a 72 vs 300 dpi raster effect.  I have always kept mine at 300 dpi.  The neckties I design are 5"x19" and CS5.5 handled them like it was nothing even with several hundred individual vector shapes and other with full 600DPI 5"x19" backgrounds.  It wasn't until I bumped these up to 12"x60" that my machine started to get upset with me.  Most of the computer specs people have posted in this thread are pretty similar so.  Then again I always have a fresh OS install with every CS version that is released so I know it's nice and clean and no garbage from previous versions causing issues.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 3:26 PM   in reply to z284pwr

I'm guessing that the issue is due to fonts, font caches, or some other OS related issue.

|
    Mark as:
  • Mathias17
    451 posts
    Feb 20, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2012 4:45 PM   in reply to Brent Blaskievich

Another happy Windows 7 x64 CS6 user here, too.

I'm McLovin', guys!

Too bad, mac users. Sorry to hear about that.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 4:50 PM   in reply to Mathias17

It's not a general Mac issue. There are many, many Mac users without the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 2:04 AM   in reply to [scott w]

ok, lets have a little benchmark here.

open up the Natures Journey sample ai file. i'll list some of the issues im having and lets see how it stacks up.

0. open file

how long does it take to render image completely

1. under the two characters on the left is a swirly tree. with the selection tool, select it.

how long did it take before it was active after mouse click?

2. click and hold it and move it to the other side of the page.

how long did it take before it started to move after your action and caught up with the cursor?

3. release the object

how long does it take to release and redraw the screen in the new position?

4. zoom in to 200%

how long does it take to redraw the screen in the new level of zoom?

5. undo the move of the tree

how long does it take to redraw the screen in previous position?

6. select and move the '25years' text then select the background gradient

how long does it take for illustrator to release the object and select the new one?

0. 250ms

1. immediate

2. 1500ms

3. 2000ms

4. 3000ms

5. 4000ms

6. 4000ms

This is with a 6Gbs ssd disk and 8gb ram i7 mbp. running illustrator on its own.

pretty much all manipulation of the viewing area is delayed considerably. you can imagine that over the course of a working day, this adds up to a staggering loss of time.

have a go at timing these tasks, you should find the sample file in your install somewhere.

mat

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 3:11 AM   in reply to edgeux

0. open file

how long does it take to render image completely

1. under the two characters on the left is a swirly tree. with the selection tool, select it.

how long did it take before it was active after mouse click?

2. click and hold it and move it to the other side of the page.

how long did it take before it started to move after your action and caught up with the cursor?

3. release the object

how long does it take to release and redraw the screen in the new position?

4. zoom in to 200%

how long does it take to redraw the screen in the new level of zoom?

5. undo the move of the tree

how long does it take to redraw the screen in previous position?

6. select and move the '25years' text then select the background gradient

how long does it take for illustrator to release the object and select the new one?

0. 6.3sec

1. immediate

2. immediate

3. not immediate but faster than my fingers can click start and stop. Less than 1 sec

4. not immediate but faster than my fingers can click start and stop. Less than 1 sec

5. immediate

6. immediate

6Gbs SSD, 32GB RAM, Mac OS10.6.8 (booted to 64bit), 2010 2.4Ghz 8Core MacPro

Currently with Photoshop, Acrobat, Indesign, Premier Pro, FTP client, Word, Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Quicktime, BBEdit, email client, all open and running and the Finder performing a 9GB copy between a third internal drive and a usb thumbdrive.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 3:13 AM   in reply to [scott w]

On an iMac 3.4ghz i7/16gb RAM - SL 10.6.8 here, and there is a definite "drag & scroll" lag... sometimes... and it's not necessarily * all Illustrators fault.

1) Try turning off Smart Guides and/or snapping. Depending on the artwork or background and what your trying to move, everything snaps all over the place.

2) Turn off any web streaming and/or close your browser. I tried listening to a radio stream with Firefox, and the Live stream in Quicktime player; both made Illustrator act up and become slow.

3) Those on a Mac may want to repair their permissions, do a restart of the Mac, and see if that clears up anything. Also, look into something like Onyx (free) that allows you to clean your font caches. Fonts = unbelievable after 20+ years that I find this to be the most common problem re: crashes in design software(!!!)

3) as mentioned earlier in the thread, turning off unnecessary processes may also help... but let's be real here: why should a "designer" need to be a tech-nerd and do that to get a "vector" program to work correctly?!? Freehand = 43mb ---- Ilustrator CS6: 261mb + Plugins 129mb = 390mb. And yet Freehand 11 could do more, better, and far easier "vector work" than Illustrator v.16 (CS6). Makes ya wonder... and shake your head a little.

*  While there does seem to be some good things about CS6, there are still many (many!) areas for improvement, such as:

a) select a stroked path by it's appearance rather than having to first add the "Outline Stroke" effect;

b) a truly "smart" selection arrow with option toggle;

c) a panel and pointer that makes stars and rounded corners truly interactive, even single rounded corners (inDesign even!) and select points on stars and rounded corner boxes to change them. See Freehand's implementation that is over 16 years old... which even allows individual mixed corners, with negative numbers/curves... all starting from a single drawn box. Adobe owns the tech, code and patents, so why is this so difficult?

While I realize this is no place for a rant or program suggestions, I am going to ask why is CS6 even offered as a "suite"? So many overlapping features; so many, MANY completely different dialog boxes that are "supposed" to do the same exact thing.

Just 1 example:

the Scale dialog in inDesign and Illustrator -- in Illustrator hit "s" then return to get to the dialog...no go in ID... when you do get to the Scale dialog in ID... anemic!... no checkbox for scale strokes and effects, it just does it whether you want it or not.

Imagine a "suite" that used the same dialogs, didn't overlap features and functions**, but was module-based that switched toolsets to what you needed to do, or opened that lightweight module/program that did some things more advanced. Imagine Vector, Text, Photo, Film toolsets and modules that actually did the exact same thing in each suite program. That would be a start.

Question(s): can someone give me one good reason why "Photo Effects" belong in a vector program? Any "pro" knows that you are going to have a much finer control in Photoshop by creating your photo stuff there. Why doesn't Photoshop recognize the Illustrator data as vectors/paths, rather than rasterize them when opening the document?

Just on a closing note... I really believe and humbly suggest that Adobe needs to make a really tough choice after ironing out the bugs in CS6, and consider rewriting everything to use common frameworks, before even thinking about a CS7.

as is common.......... /rant.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 3:19 AM   in reply to DocPixel-BMW

Yes i noticed that streaming of any kind significantly slows illy down. im going to sort the font issue out also. tnx

mat

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 3:31 AM   in reply to DocPixel-BMW

Just opened the file mentioned above and had no problems moving, selecting, zooming, etc. Considering the artwork, it's rather amazing. CS5 is much slower(!)  I saved it out and tested it with and without CS6 running at the same time. CS6 had no problems moving things even with CS5 open. Performance was not improved when closing CS6 either.

A dreaded file in the past, to say the least!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 3:35 AM   in reply to DocPixel-BMW

I have mountains of files that are all slow and delayed while working in v15.1. Every single one of the slow, muddy, working files is blazingly fast in v16 on two separate systems with two different OS versions (10.6.8 and 10.7.4). This is why I really think the delays are very system specific and due to some other non-illustrator issue and Illustrator is merely making the problem more apparent.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 8:16 AM   in reply to Brent Blaskievich

OK.... just ran across major performance degradation in CS6. I was working on some logos and after about the last 3 hours, a noticable slowness became worse and worse until I shut Illustrator down and restarted it.

Memory leak? Clipboard problems? Where is the "clear clipboard" command if that's the case.

Re: nasty clipboard problems were also with CS5 when copying pictures and/or  vectors with any effects as simple as a drop shadow. In CS6 I was only copying simple vector/no effects... so I don't "think" it could be the clipboard... however...????

PS. zooming, panning, etc. were most effected. Now with a new start of Illy, everything is fast as normal.

Message was edited by: DocPixel-BMW

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points