Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Layer markers to flv-cuepoints not working in ae cs6

Oct 22, 2012 10:11 AM

We are currently working on a project where we create layer markers in ae with File>  Scripts > Converted selected properties to Markers.jsx

With the property "Position" selected of a layer in AE with motion tracking data from the underlying footage in my comp.

Next i added the comp to the Render Queue. In the output module i choose .flv and render.

When i import this flv in an flvPlayback component in Flash there are no cuepoints visible in the palyback properties panel or when i add an Eventlistener "CUEPOINT" to the flvPlayback. This used to work perfect in AE CS5. Is this an AE CS6 bug or am i missing somthing?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 10, 2012 10:57 AM   in reply to grasland tammam

Could be a bug that went unnoticed. Though I wouldn't rule out changes in Flash, too. Are you using the CS6 version of Flash Pro?

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 7:11 PM   in reply to grasland tammam

Ouch. Yes, confirmed that is a bug; very likely in After Effects and not Flash. Sorry about that. I have filed this as a high priority bug.

-=TimK

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 11:04 PM   in reply to Tim Kurkoski

*woot* One more....

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 1:39 AM   in reply to grasland tammam

Tragedy!!!

I spend 4 days on this...check my code again and again...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 5:24 PM   in reply to grasland tammam

Is this working in an update of the software yet? I downloaded the latest release and noticed it's still not working for me. Any news on this?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 5:13 AM   in reply to grasland tammam

Hi there,

any news when this bug will be fixed? I have the same problem and can't switch back to CS 5.5, because the serial was used to update to CS6. This is really unfortunate, because I am working on a tight schedule project where there's only few ammendments to be made. The only solution would be to install CS 5.5 as trial which leaves out vital additional features.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 9:25 AM   in reply to Dennis_PK

Dennis_PK wrote:

. . .  I have the same problem and can't switch back to CS 5.5, because the serial was used to update to CS6. This is really unfortunate, because I am working on a tight schedule project where there's only few ammendments to be made. The only solution would be to install CS 5.5 as trial which leaves out vital additional features.

There is nothing in the licensing agreement or in the install procedure that kills your license for CS5.5. I have CS4, CS5, CS5.5 and CS6 all running on the same machine, all upgrades. Installing CS6 does not overwrite a previous version or disable it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 11:24 AM   in reply to Rick Gerard

Never mind. I've got the CS5.5 to work again. I had to type in the serial of the CS5, which was used to upgrade do CS5.5 to activate it. The Adobe Application Manager got me confused.
    Thanks for the hints guys.

Unnessesary hassle though, if the bug wouldn't exist in the first place I wouldn't have to go through this whole procedure. Still waiting desperately for the CS6 update.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 1:39 AM   in reply to jnickel

I have this CS6 bug too, I can't believe it!

Adobe please fix

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 6:38 AM   in reply to grasland tammam

I have just run into this bug as well! How long does it take to make something work just like it already has last version!? It is already 4 months since it got noticed. According to the application manager I have everything up to date. So please take this as a reminder to fix it, Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2012 8:32 AM   in reply to Bob9743

Really unbelievable. It still isn't working.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 2:32 AM   in reply to Tim Kurkoski

There was an update to After Effects 11.0.2 today. It still is not working. But hey, it is not like an international multi-billion-dollar-company would work on this for five months as high priority... oh no, wait, it is like that... *sigh* Does the bug need to get filed again? What is to do to get this working again, I really need that for my work.

I have found half a work-around though:

The Media Encoder still is able to encode with cue points. So an After Effects composition can be imported to the encoder and encoded with cue points BUT it only recognizes comp markers, not layer markers. It is the same when saved to a Premiere-file. The layer markers are there when opened in Premiere but they are not recognized by the encoder.

I have seen that cue points can also be imported via XML to the Media Encoder. Is there a possibility to export ALL cue points from a composition to XML? My project already contains lots of layer markers, which I do not want to change to comp markers manually. This would not only cost me time but also flexibility for changes.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 12:35 PM   in reply to Bob9743

Ok, after several hours experimenting, I have found out that the cue points are completely messed up in CS6, also in Flash and the Media Encoder. Here is the problem (besides the known AE issue):

- Take any video in the Media Encoder, set it to FLV, open the export settings.

- Add somewhere a navigation and an event cuepoint and render.

- Open flash, create a new AS3 scene and import the rendered video.

- If you look at the properties, everything seems fine: It has a navigation and an event cuepoint.

- Add an actionscript tracing all metadata.cuePoints.type and test the movie.

- Result: It traces every cuepoint as event cuepoint. Therefore all tries to use commands for seeking to navigation cuepoints result in invalid seek errors.

Please, could somebody at Adobe fix this?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 12:44 PM   in reply to Bob9743

Guess it seems much more important that another programm like Photoshop now is able to handle video and primitive 3d ;-) Instead of fixing functions which are really used by poeple.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 1:28 PM   in reply to herrenderschoepfung

Oh yes, I agree. Especially considering that it already has been working just fine for years...

At least for the people who are as desperate as me I have found a tedious work-around:

I have written an AE-script that exports all markers as a Flash cue point XML (see below, it sure is not perfect and parameters are not considered, but it works). This XML-file can be used in Media Encoder to encode the AE composition with cue points.

Use the RichFLV App (http://richapps.de/?p=66) to change these cue points to navigation which should be of that type.

Here is the code, you need to check in the preferences that scripts are allowed to write files:

var comp = app.project.activeItem;

var XMLStart = "<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' ?><FLVCoreCuePoints>";

var XMLEnd = "</FLVCoreCuePoints>";

var XMLTemp = "";

var XMLFinal = "";

var layerCount = comp.numLayers;

var layer = new Object;

var layerMarkers = new Object;

var markerCount = 0;

var curMarkerTime = 0;

var curMarkerName = "";

var curMarkerType = "";

var curMarkerXML = "";

//Layer markers

for(i=1; i<layerCount+1; i++) {

layer = comp.layer(i);

layerMarkers = layer.marker;

markerCount = layerMarkers.numKeys;

for(j=1; j<markerCount+1; j++) {

curMarkerTime = layerMarkers.keyTime(j) * 1000;

curMarkerName = layerMarkers.keyValue(j).cuePointName;

if(layerMarkers.keyValue(j).eventCuePoint) {

curMarkerType = "event";

} else {

curMarkerType = "navigation";

}

curMarkerXML = "<CuePoint><Time>" + curMarkerTime + "</Time><Type>" + curMarkerType + "</Type><Name>" + curMarkerName + "</Name></CuePoint>";

XMLTemp += curMarkerXML;

}

}

//Comp markers

var tempText = comp.layers.addText("");

var tempSrc = tempText.text.sourceText;

tempSrc.expression = "thisComp.marker.numKeys";

markerCount = Number(tempSrc.value);

if(markerCount > 0) {

for (i=1; i<=markerCount; i++) {

tempSrc.expression = "thisComp.marker.key(" + i + ").time;";

curMarkerTime = Number(tempSrc.value) * 1000;

tempSrc.expression = "thisComp.marker.key(" + i + ").cuePointName;";

curMarkerName = String(tempSrc.value);

tempSrc.expression = "thisComp.marker.key(" + i + ").eventCuePoint;";

if(tempSrc.value == "true") {

curMarkerType = "event";

} else {

curMarkerType = "navigation";

}

curMarkerXML = "<CuePoint><Time>" + curMarkerTime + "</Time><Type>" + curMarkerType + "</Type><Name>" + curMarkerName + "</Name></CuePoint>";

XMLTemp += curMarkerXML;

}

}

tempText.remove();

//create output string

XMLFinal = XMLStart + XMLTemp + XMLEnd;

//Write file

var cueFile = File.saveDialog("Save the XML file", "XML:*.xml" );

cueFile.open("W");

cueFile.write(XMLFinal);

cueFile.close();

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2012 12:48 AM   in reply to Bob9743

Another thing I have found out about this work-around: For some reason I do not understand, the timecode format under the preview in the export settings window of Media Encoder is an independent preference and has nothing to do with your actual export format. So if you have e.g. a 25fps source and a 25fps output, the timecode could still be based on 30fps or whatever is set in the preferences. This is a problem, because all cue points, either set manually or via import, are converted based on that timecode.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2012 10:23 AM   in reply to Bob9743

Sorry this is taking so long, but we are working on a fix for this.

If anyone on this thread would like to help us to test the fix, feel free to add that information to a bug report. Yes, it's still valuable to submit bug reports after we've already acknowledged the bug, since it helps us to see how many people are encountering this issue and what the details of each circumstance are. It's also a good way for us to receive your contact information for follow-up.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2012 1:51 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Nice to hear that you are on it, I hope it gets fixed completely and very soon! I have to say, I am rather disappointed on how this is treated by Adobe, especially after being called "high priority". It happens to be that I need this feature very often and working around it is not only annoying but unnecessarily time consuming... Anyway, I have already filed two bug reports, one for After Effects and one for Media Encoder/Flash. Feel free to contact me for testing.

By the way, your bug report is buggy as well: At first I wanted to file one under Media Encoder, but this does not exist in the application list. Then I tried Flash but got an email that it could not be delivered because the address is unknown by the server. So I filed it generally under Creative Suite. Maybe it was only a temporary problem but now you know.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to grasland tammam

Ran into this bug just today. Never thought that I would use flvtool2 again:

* https://gist.github.com/4088555

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 7:56 AM   in reply to Bernd Suenkel

Thanks for the advice on how to inject cuepoints, but could you please explain, what has to be done with the source code your link points to? It neither looks like Actionscript nor like an After-Effects-script or am I wrong here?

Remarkably another month went by without a fix from Adobe. It seems to be really hard to transfer the working code from CS5.5 to CS6...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 11:07 AM   in reply to Bob9743

flvtool2 is a command line tool to manipulate flv files. The source in the gist is actually a small Ruby script which takes all *.flv files in a folder and injects the cue points defined in the xml file. Afterwards all files are zipped into an archive. I used this script to inject cue points into multiple videos after rendering them in After Effects. I needed the videos to contain cue points because they were used to trigger some actions in an ad campaign (Adobe Flash).

(1) Define your cue points and save them to an xml file, eg. cuepoints.xml

<tags>

<metatag event="onCuePoint" overwrite="true">

<name>myFirstCuePoint</name>

<timestamp>3015</timestamp>

<type>event</type>

</metatag>

<metatag event="onCuePoint" overwrite="true">

<name>mySecondCuePoint</name>

<timestamp>4018</timestamp>

<type>event</type>

</metatag>   

</tags>

(2) Fire up a command line and run flvtool2

flvtool2 -APUt cuepoints.xml input_file.flv output_file.flv

The output_file.flv should now contain two cue points. The first one named "myFirstCuePoint" at roughly 3 seconds and another one ("mySecondCuePoint") at 4 seconds in the video. This only works for the flv container! I am working with Ubuntu. But there should be some Windows binaries for flvtool2 as well.

Adobe, please fix this…

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 2:23 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Excuse me, but this is getting absolutely ridiculous. Still no update after eight months!!! To fix something that already worked fine and is not even new! Will I have to buy CS7 to get this fixed!? If I treated my customers like that, I would not have any. But almighty Adobe is free to do anything and still earn billions. It is obviously like everywhere, the bigger the company, the less important the customer. And Adobe is pretty big. Probably the forum is not the right place to complain, I will try to find an address of somebody in charge... Has anybody any hints or experience on that?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 4:32 AM   in reply to Bob9743

Hi Guys

I have made a little guide explaining the workaround:  http://kim.thoeisen.dk/ae-cs6-flv-cue-point-export/

Thanks a lot for the info and helping posts! I just hope Adobe will fix the bug soon!

Regards Kim

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 5:05 PM   in reply to kimdt27

I can't give specifics about fixes or features coming in future versions, but I did want to give an update on this.

We are working on a fix for this, and we are hoping to make it available in the near future.

Again, I need to stress that I can't make specific promises about what will be in which version and when, but I wanted to make sure that you knew that we are absolutely not ignoring this issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 10:42 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

See the list of significant bug fixes in the next version of After Effects:

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/04/whats-new-changed-after-ef fects-next.html

This issue is fixed.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 11:08 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Oh well.. Like we thought..
    We need to pay for the upgrade or buy the new version of AE to fix the bug!
    That’s just awesome!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 11:10 AM   in reply to kimdt27

No one has said specifically that this bug will or won't also be in an update for CS6. I won't comment on that yet if asked, either. But keep in mind that we have many times released bug-fix updates for a previous version even after releasing a paid upgrade to the next version.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 11:14 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Okay, fair enough, if that is the case.

I just have 25 students working on interactive short movies, where a lot of them use tracking data as cue points in flash to amp up their interactivity.

They all need to do the workaround for all of their sub-clips to be used in that manner.

For us, the bug just creates many frustrations.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 11:13 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Well, I believe it when I see it, talk is cheap. To me the bug remains unfixed until an update is actually released. It is nice to hear that something happened behind the curtains - but this unfortunately does not change a thing so far for all the users who are already waiting for a very long time to get this fixed. So please, put it out there, the sooner the better!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 11:43 AM   in reply to Bob9743

I second that!

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 4:49 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Excuse me, I am a little late: Happy birthday, dear cue point bug! May you live long and stay just the way you are... NOT! Still no update, still no bugfix. I still need it. I still waste time working around it. And I am sure I am not alone. That it is even a question, whether the fix for a one-year-old bug gets released or not, tells a lot about how much Adobe cares about customers. Why did you wait with fixing it until the new version arrives in the first place?

Anyway, I guess that you, Mr. Kopriva, are only the messenger. Since you cannot make the release decision, could you please tell me, who is in charge of this and how I can contact this person?

Thanks,

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2013 5:23 AM   in reply to Bob9743

AE-CC version fixes this.  What a pleasure!

In the output mod it's essential to turn metadata on (I think).  Been working perfectly for me for the past 240+ cuepoints! 

Would love a script to import and export those cues.  Lloyd?

RT

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 10:11 AM   in reply to rtinfow

Did this ever get fixed in CS6??!! I tried it this morning without success. I went back to AE CS5, and it works as it used to.  Adobe, do you plan on fixing this for CS6? I don't want to 'upgrade' to CC. Please advise...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 10:19 AM   in reply to mike_morales

We have an update for After Effects CS6 in the works that fixes this. We are on track to release this update this month.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 10:20 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Glad to hear it is being worked on and soon to be released. Thanks for the update Todd.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2013 5:36 PM   in reply to mike_morales

Adobe After Effects CS6 (11.0.3) has been released. This update fixes many crashes and other bugs, including this FLV cue points issue.

Details: http://adobe.ly/AE_CS6_1103

Also, this fix is in After Effects CC (12.0), as mentioned above.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points