Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Wrong Reader Version - Acrobat 10.1.1 is actually 10.1.0

Sep 19, 2011 10:19 PM

Tags: #acrobat

I just downloaded the distribution version of Acrobat Reader 10.1.1 (AdbeRdr1011_en_US.exe) from


In preparation for deploying it my organisation, I have extracted the EXE with 7zip and done a test install on my PC. After installation, Acrobat Reader's Help-About menu shows version 10.1.0. Huh? What went wrong here?


So, I downloaded Reader 10.1.1 again, unzipped it again, then unzipped the I check the version of the AcroRd32.exe (from the Data1 folder) and is says version (see screen capture attached). Ok, so now I find, download and apply AdbeRdrUpd1011.msp. Reader Help-About now says version 10.1.1 and the ArcoRd32.exe from the Program Files folder says it is version (see screen capture attached).


To double check that I'm not going insane, I download AdbeRdr1011_en_US.exe again (and bypass our corporate proxy this time). I also remotely logon to my server at home and download it there too (just to make sure I'm ovoiding any sort of internet cache). I extract the EXE again, and (both at home and at work again) the AcroRd32.exe still says version


What gives, Adobe? Why are the files contained in AdbeRdr1011_en_US.exe not the same version as those in AdbeRdrUpd1011.msp?


Further to this, I have noticed that the files from 10.1.0 and 10.1.1 (when extracted out of their respective version installer EXE) are exactly the same size; the exact same byte count. Also, when eact is extracted, the contents from each is eaxtly the same too! Does this mean someone accidentally published the wrong in their 10.1.1 installer? And if so, why is the 10.1.1 installer 12.5Mb bigger than 10.1.0 when they contain the exact same data!?


Ok, the bottom line here is... when will the distribution installer AdbeRdr1011_en_US.exe be updated to it deploys the correct version of Acrobat Reader? Once this is done, I can update it across my organisation.



Wrong Reader Version.PNGWrong Reader Version2.PNG


Message was edited by: Mayday1756

  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 19, 2011 10:23 PM   in reply to Mayday1756

    This EXE you are trying to take apart contains full Reader 10.1.0 installer and a Patch, which is suppose to bump Reader version to 10.1.1

    It is not guaranteed that AcroRd32.exe will be updated to version 10.1.1, but if you are simply looking into, you will not find newer AcroRd32.exe for sure.

    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 19, 2011 11:06 PM   in reply to Mayday1756

    Could you please let me know what command are you using to extract the Chained Installer for Adobe Reader 10.1.1 i.e. AdbeRdr1011_en_US.exe.


    I believe the correct command to extract the contents is as follows:

    AdbeRdr1011_en_US.exe -sfx_o<Output Directory where you want to extract the contents> -sfx_ne

    Please note that there is no space between -sfx_o and the output directory location.


    This will ensure theat the contents are extracted the mentioned location without actually installing the application.


    Hope this helps.


    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 10, 2012 11:27 PM   in reply to Mayday1756

    I am such an admin....


    This is 100% exactly the same problem i have now with Version 10.1.3!


    I completly agree with Mayday1756. And its a shame that its 05/2012 and still nothing happens.


    Seems like we are not alone...


    We have a normal win2008 Server structure. There must be thousands of Admins worldwide that are stucked with the same problem. I cant understand why there is no easy solution.


    Maybe i kick pdf reader out of our company and give PDF-Xchange a chance. There is a msi easy to download.


    Adobe! Here you can learn something, its called customer-friendly:


    Mark as:

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)