Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

<FEFF> changes the line endings - Is this a BUG?

May 11, 2012 5:05 AM

Hi All,

(I am doing this by java script)

I am inserting hyperlink text anchors to have link between "Text A" and its corresponding citation say "Para B". After that the line ending of the "Para B" is changed.

"FEFF" character is a "zero width no berak space".  So I assume that it should not make any adjustement in the layout of the paragraphs, but it does.

It seems to be a bug to me. Anyone had this problem before? Did anybody have the solution?

-------------

Green4ever

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 11, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to Green4ever

Although its width is zero, it can nevertheless change the layout, e.g. by removing kern values.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 10:50 AM   in reply to Peter Kahrel

1. Using this code as "zero width etc." has been deprecated for a while by the aunicode consortium. It only worked -- for a while -- because there usually is "nothing" associated with this code. Nowadays, use of the Byte Order Mark anywhere else than at the start of a file is actively flagged as an error, for example in an XML file. (http://www.w3.org/TR/unicode-xml/, Sec.3.5)

>Although its width is zero, it can nevertheless change the layout, e.g. by removing kern values.

Oh that's absolutely true. I've had text reflown in InDesign because I added XML tags to my text! (These are internally added as U+FEFF characters, and subsequently mess up my perfectly good formatting.)

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 2:05 AM   in reply to Green4ever

> Do you think this idea will work? Can I give it a try or is it just a useless effort to do that?

Sure, try it. To get around the kerning problem to a certain extent, place the marker at the beginning or the end of words. That may help.

> So finally can we conclude this as a BUG?

It's not necessarily a bug. Anything that comes between two kerned characters cancels the kerning. It's up to you to be careful where you place markers.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 3:00 AM   in reply to Green4ever

Edit: Sorry, my post was out of the topic!

U+FEFF indeed is the ZERO WIDTH NO-BREAK SPACE in Unicode, but InDesign is not fully Unicode-compliant*! Basically, ID uses U+FEFF to internally encode various markers (index marker, note marker, conditional text marker) so it's probably not a good idea to use that character as a ZW NBSP. Maybe you could try U+200D (ZERO WIDTH JOINER) instead…

* Take a look at: http://www.indiscripts.com/blog/public/data/idcs4-special-characters/e n_InDesignCS4-CS5-SpecialChars.pdf (code points which appear in RED indicate where InDesign does not comply with Unicode semantics).

@+

Marc

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 6:36 AM   in reply to Peter Kahrel

>It's not necessarily a bug. Anything that comes between two kerned characters cancels the kerning. It's up to you to be careful where you place markers.

I cannot decide to put my XML markers anywhere else. These (and Greenies Hyperlinks) are not layout elements, and should NOT be messing with text layout!

It's a bug because this interferes with text when it shouldn't, and it's due to the way Adobe implemented these supposedly "invisible" markers as actual character codes!!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points