Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

autosave in illustrator CS6

May 11, 2012 8:24 AM

Hi ,

Is there an autosave feature in Ilustrator CS6 like there is in Photoshop CS6 ?

Thank you !

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 11, 2012 9:05 AM   in reply to kililio

The short answer is no.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 5:24 AM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

This is an outrageous omission. Why do smart people make stupid omissions?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 12:21 PM   in reply to DavidLaufer

Auto-save was not feasible for Illustrator until Illustrator was 64Bit in nature. CS6 is now 64Bit. It's my hope that in the future more changes will be made which were not possible in the 32Bit app.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 10:29 AM   in reply to [scott w]

There were scripts and other techniques to allow auto-saving for years.  Therefore, it is clearly not true that auto-saving was not possible before AI was 64 bit.  I continually wonder how After Effects and far more powerful software like 3ds max can have autosave for (15+ years in the case of Max) and poor little Illustrator does not.  This is just another example of pathetically bad and user-unfriendly software programming by Adobe.  I requested Auto-save at least 10 years ago to the Adobe wishlist.  Still waiting. Every time I lose work I've done in Illustrator I internally bless Adobe for their great work.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2013 4:44 AM   in reply to kililio

is totally stupid to not have an autosae future on illustrator cs6, it is a basic UX feature, yet Adobe enjoys making people suffer it seems... Good way to loose users...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 9:23 PM   in reply to Dhamma_seva

Absolutely maddening. I'm sure I lose 10 to 20 hours a year, and I'm not alone; multiply that by the thousand+ people in my company that use Illustrator and you've got nearly half of a million dollars of wasted time, just within my company, purely because Adobe can't figure out how to incorporate an auto-save feature.

. . . and that's not even billable time.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2014 7:06 AM   in reply to AndrewSalveson

Inkscape has an autosave feature but of course isn't nearly as comprehensive as Illustrator. I don't know what your company does but maybe it could consider switching some people over. Losing customers is the only thing they'll pay attention to.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2014 11:30 AM   in reply to condor47

28,000++ views of this thread, way to "not" pay attention to your customers Adobe, I guess add this to the enormous list of basic things Illustrator lacks.

Anyway, you could probably set up an AppleScript (mac) or Visual Basic (windows) to run in the background and do an autosave of sorts.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2014 12:05 PM   in reply to W_J_T

But how do you expect it to work? Since Saving in AI involves a complete rewrite of the file as it exists at the moment of Save, it will have to suspend your working on the file until it is done. Is this acceptable to you. If it is, then just hit Save on a regular basis.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2014 12:45 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

Larry G. Schneider wrote:

But how do you expect it to work? Since Saving in AI involves a complete rewrite of the file as it exists at the moment of Save, it will have to suspend your working on the file until it is done. Is this acceptable to you. If it is, then just hit Save on a regular basis.

Well, presumably the need for any autosave feature is based upon a users inability to remember to save their file on a regular basis, otherwise yes what is the point just hit save as you claim. So even based upon your statement of needing suspension and user interaction it would still fill this void (of human error) and allow the user to chose to save or forgo saving until the next timed prompt and chose to do so under a common repeated interval, or stop the feature all together. I guess it could maybe even be handled in JS as well right within Illustrator from this regard. Regardless to me it all comes back to the ability or rather inability to remember to save ones work. Over the course of ones career in using any software I am sure this has at times been an issue and work has been lost under whatever circumstances even for those with the best of intentions. Do you know preemptively when your file or software might crash, if not then what's wrong with having a reminder and process for saving when you're working?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2014 1:06 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

Larry, I guess you know and use InDesign.

Isn't its file backup (recovery) technique an exemplary pattern for Illustrator?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2014 1:26 PM   in reply to Kurt Gold

Yes, but ID is basically just a database with links to the images and such. AI is a much different animal.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2014 1:35 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

Not sure if that is a strong argument.

In case it is, then that AI animal urgently needs a metamorphosis.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2014 2:27 PM   in reply to Kurt Gold

No disagreement on that, Kurt.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers