Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Audition CS6 crashes on startup (Mac 10.7.4)

May 11, 2012 7:08 AM

Tags: #crash #audition #startup

Just installed *all* CS6 apps from Creative Cloud and all of them startup and run fine *except* Audition CS6.

It crashes repeatedly at the same spot on startup (related to fonts? see crash log snippet below).

Anyone have this happen to them?  Ideas on what to clean out or try?

Thanks

Jeff

-----------

Process:     Adobe Audition CS6 [11827]
Path:        /Applications/Adobe Audition CS6/Adobe Audition CS6.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Audition CS6
Identifier:  com.adobe.Audition.5.0
Version:     5.0x708 (5.0)
Code Type:   X86 (Native)

Parent Process:  launchd [286]

Date/Time:   2012-05-11 09:00:57.772 -0500
OS Version:  Mac OS X 10.7.4 (11E53)

Report Version:  9

Interval Since Last Report:      135473 sec
Crashes Since Last Report:       9

Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  42 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   8

Anonymous UUID:                 

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:  EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:

objc[11827]: garbage collection is OFF

terminate called throwing an exception

abort() called

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

0   libsystem_kernel.dylib    0x9b0289c6 __pthread_kill + 10
1   libsystem_c.dylib         0x9ab31f78 pthread_kill + 106
2   libsystem_c.dylib         0x9ab22bdd abort + 167
3   libc++abi.dylib           0x92578921 abort_message + 94
4   libc++abi.dylib           0x925761bc default_terminate() + 36
5   libc++abi.dylib           0x925761fe safe_handler_caller(void (*)()) + 15
6   libc++abi.dylib           0x92576268 std::terminate() + 23
7   libc++abi.dylib           0x925772a0 __cxa_throw + 112
8   com.adobe.auui.framework  0x04e5e2b3 BIB_T_NMT::BIBThrowError(BIBError*) + 195
9   com.adobe.auui.framework  0x04e62d5d BIB_T_NMT::CCTFontDict::GetSWFFontDesc(unsigned short*, unsigned long&, unsigned int&, unsigned int&) const + 73
10  com.adobe.auui.framework  0x04e856e9 dvaui::drawbot::AGMFontData::LoadFont(BIB_T_NMT::CCTFontSet const&, std::basic_string<unsigned short, std::char_traits<unsigned short>, dvacore::utility::SmallBlockAllocator::STLAllocator<unsigned short> > const&, std::basic_string<unsigned short, std::char_traits<unsigned short>, dvacore::utility::SmallBlockAllocator::STLAllocator<unsigned short> > const&, bool, bool) + 223
11  com.adobe.auui.framework  0x04e859ef dvaui::drawbot::AGMFontData::AGMFontData(BIB_T_NMT::CCTFontSet const&, std::basic_string<unsigned short, std::char_traits<unsigned short>, dvacore::utility::SmallBlockAllocator::STLAllocator<unsigned short> > const&, std::basic_string<unsigned short, std::char_traits<unsigned short>, dvacore::utility::SmallBlockAllocator::STLAllocator<unsigned short> > const&, bool, bool) + 157
12  com.adobe.auui.framework  0x04e85b18 _ZN5dvaui7drawbotL16CreateFontStylesERKN9BIB_T_NMT10CCTFontSetERKSbIt St11char_traitsItEN7dvacore7utility19SmallBlockAllocator12STLAllocator ItEEERSt6vectorISC_SaISC_EEb + 120
13  com.adobe.auui.framework  0x04e85e2d dvaui::drawbot::CreateDefaultFontFallbackSet(BIB_T_NMT::CCTFontSet const&) + 557
14  com.adobe.auui.framework  0x04e746d0 dvaui::drawbot::AGMSupplier::AGMSupplier() + 236
15  com.adobe.auui.framework  0x04e749be dvaui::drawbot::NewAGMSupplier() + 30
16  com.adobe.auui.framework  0x047c2031 aui::Application::InitDrawing() + 149
17  com.adobe.exo.framework   0x01d2d4d3 exo::app::AppBase::Initialize(exo::app::AppInitArgs&) + 439
18  com.adobe.auui.framework  0x047c7131 aui::Application::Initialize(exo::app::AppInitArgs&, std::basic_string<unsigned short, std::char_traits<unsigned short>, dvacore::utility::SmallBlockAllocator::STLAllocator<unsigned short> > const&) + 145
19  com.adobe.auui.framework  0x047d5162 AudMacMain(int, char**) + 386
20  com.adobe.Audition.5.0    0x00002e3f main + 159
21  com.adobe.Audition.5.0    0x00002c55 start + 53

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 11, 2012 8:08 AM   in reply to Jeffrey Adams

Happens to me as well, all the time.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 9:00 AM   in reply to Jeffrey Adams

Did you install all apps on 10.7.3 and updated to 10.7.4 or installed it after updating to 10.7.4?

try launching Audition from a new user account.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 9:25 AM   in reply to vipul vaibhav

Hey Guys,

We are very sorry to hear that this is happening. We ran into a few cases where fonts caused problems with the new "Adobe Graphics Manager" before release but we thought we caught them all.

The workaround is to turn AGM off - but since you can't launch the application to do that, we need to do some file swapping.

For anyone having this issue, please send an email to me directly at audbugs@adobe.com with your crash log and I will send you the steps.

I'll make sure this crash information is submitted to our developers for investigation.

Sorry for the trouble with this.

Thanks,

--Ron

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 9:40 AM   in reply to Ron_Day

Also, for anyone having this problem - do you happen to have the Stone Sans ITC TT font installed on your machines?

If so, does removing that font resolve this problem?

Thanks,

--Ron

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 10:39 AM   in reply to Jeffrey Adams

Hey Guys,

Here's an update regarding this issue..

Our developers are looking into the problem and we are trying to determine what fonts might be causing this on some systems. We have a workaround (which I outline below), but the real fix here is to determine any fonts that cause this to happen and fix the issue for future versions or updates of Audition (by avoiding the problematic font and just using a different one). If anyone determines the specific font that is causing this, please let us know as it will be extremely helpful.

For now, here's the workaround:

1. Create a new .txt file and name it 'Debug Database.txt'
    2. Open the newly created .txt file and add this exact text to the top line (copy and paste from here): UseAGMDrawbot  false
    3. Save the .txt file after this change is made.
    4. Go to the following folder: Users/<your_user_name>/Library/Preferences/Adobe/Audition/5.0/

5.  Delete all files that are in the 5.0 folder.

6.  Copy the created "Debug Database.txt" file into that folder.

7.  Launch Audition again.

NOTE: If you are using Mac OS 10.7 (Lion), you will have to "unhide" the Library folder in order to access the location above. Here are a few ways to unhide the Library folder:

a. Use Command+Shift+G from the Mac desktop (or Finder > Go > Go to Folder) and type in ~/Library to temporarily access the Library directory. When finished, close this window and the folder will no longer be visible.

b. Hold down the Option key while accessing the "Go" menu from the Finder. This will show the “Library” directory as an option in that menu.

c. To permanently show the Library folder (like in OS 10.6 and earlier), open the Terminal application and use the following command: chflags nohidden ~/Library/

We will be creating a specific knowledgbase article describing this workaround soon, but for now - the steps to get around this are above.

If you are still experiencing this issue after following these steps, please send an email to audbugs@adobe.com and we can work with you directly.

Thanks,

--Ron

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 5:33 AM   in reply to Ron_Day

First tried removing Stone Sans ITC TT. Still have the problem.

Then tried the workaround. Still have the start up issue. Will follow this thread for more info.

I'm on 10.7.4.

Just installed CS6 and was hoping to use Audition for a project tomorrow.

Liam

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 8:45 AM   in reply to liamcampbell

This is what solves it:

Hey Vincent,

We are very sorry to hear that this is happening. We ran into a few cases where fonts caused problems with the new "Adobe Graphics Manager" before release but we thought we caught them all.

The workaround is to turn AGM off - but since you can't launch the application to do that, we need to do some file swapping.

Here are the steps:

1. Go to the following folder:

Users/ Appearance.

I'll make sure this crash information is submitted to our developers for investigation.

Sorry for the trouble with this but please let me know how things work out.

Thanks,

--Ron

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 1:09 PM   in reply to Jeffrey Adams

Hi everyone,

I got it to work by doing a combination of the suggestions outlined above.

After installing Audition and having it crash, I created a new user with admin privileges. 

Using this user I was able to lauch Audition without any problems.

I turned off AGM in the Audition preferences.

I quit Audition.

I went to the folder: Users/<your_new_user_name>/Library/Preferences/Adobe/Audition/5.0/ and copied this entire folder to my desktop.

I then logged in to my computer using my original user name.

I copied the Audition preferences folder from the desktop to Users/<your_original_user_name>/Library/Preferences/Adobe/Audition/5. 0/ and replaced the folder that had been created when Audition crashed. In other words replace the entire folder (5.0) with the new folder (5.0).

Lauch Audition.

Everthything should work since you are now basically lauching Audition with AGM turned off.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 1:24 PM   in reply to Charles Wall

Hi,

I had this response from adobe: (and it works)

Here are the steps:

1. Go to the following folder:

Users/<your_user_name>/Library/Preferences/Adobe/Audition/5.0/

2. Delete all files that are in the 5.0 folder.

3. Copy the attached "Debug Database.txt" file into that folder.

4. Try to launch Audition again.

This will essentially disable the option for using the Adobe Graphics Manager which is a user preference in Preferences > Appearance.

Sorry for the trouble with this but please let me know how things work out.

Thanks,

--Ron

I can't attach the file here, but it's a text file called:

Debug Database.txt

The text file itself contains the following:

UseAGMDrawbot     false

So copy text and name en make this texfile

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 1:28 PM   in reply to Vincent Steinmetz

I tried adding the Debug Database.txt file and it did not work, that is when I came up with replacing the entire Audition/5.0 folder described above.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 5:35 PM   in reply to Charles Wall

That worked for me also.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 9:15 AM   in reply to liamcampbell

Hey Guys,

I want to make a slight update to the steps for creating the "Debug Database.txt" file I mentioned in my earlier response.

I forgot to mention that you need to add a line break after the inserted line of text or the workaround will fail.

Here are the new steps:

1. Create a new .txt file and name it 'Debug Database.txt'
    2. Open the newly created .txt file and add this exact text to the top line (copy and paste from here): UseAGMDrawbot    false
    3. Hit the ENTER key to make sure there is a line break after the first line of text.
    4. Save the .txt file after this change is made.
    5. Go to the following folder: Users/<your_user_name>/Library/Preferences/Adobe/Audition/5.0/

5.  Delete all files that are in the 5.0 folder.

6.  Copy the created "Debug Database.txt" file into that folder.

7.  Launch Audition again.

NOTE: If you are using Mac OS 10.7 (Lion), you will have to "unhide" the Library folder in order to access the location above. Here are a few ways to unhide the Library folder:

a. Use Command+Shift+G from the Mac desktop (or Finder > Go > Go to Folder) and type in ~/Library to temporarily access the Library directory. When finished, close this window and the folder will no longer be visible.

b. Hold down the Option key while accessing the "Go" menu from the Finder. This will show the “Library” directory as an option in that menu.

c. To permanently show the Library folder (like in OS 10.6 and earlier), open the Terminal application and use the following command: chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Thanks,

--Ron

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 10:36 AM   in reply to Ron_Day

One last comment on this from me...

We now have a Knowledge Base article on this issue posted here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/audition/kb/audition-cs6-crashes-launch.html

We have attached the proper .txt file to that document to make this process easier (to avoid potential creation issues with the file).

For anyone running into this issue you can delete all existing preference files, download and copy the .txt file to the preferences location and re-launch Audition.

--Ron

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 9:12 AM   in reply to Ron_Day

My error is the same and the locale.txt file keeps writing it self to the folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 9:57 AM   in reply to Ron_Day

9 hours with adobe technical help no fix, 3 minutes on this forum problem solve on 3 machines.

Thanks Eric

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 7:46 AM   in reply to Ron_Day

So the Knowledge Base article was posted on May 14, that links to the patch you can download (version 5.0.1) that was presumably put in place on May 14 as well. I can't say for sure, since there is no date on the page. The file was "Created on July 20" so lets say July 20.

I installed Audition on Nov 11 from Creative Cloud. I got version 5.0, which promptly crashed. So my question is:

Why does Creative Cloud give me version 5.0 when it is clearly broken? Why don't I get 5.0.1? Shouldn't I expect to get the latest version when using Creative Cloud? I thought that was the whole idea.

Why did I waste hours of my time trying to solve this when it should never have been an issue in the first place? Come on Adobe, you can do better.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 7:56 AM   in reply to GaryRosenzweig

5.0.1 is only a patch not the complete program which is still 5.0. However there is a later patch 5.0.2 which you should install to be completely up tp date.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5473

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 8:00 AM   in reply to ryclark

That's even worse. So the page with 5.0.1 didn't mention that I am wasting my time downloading and installing it because it is out of date and I should be getting the 5.0.2 patch.

But it still doesn't get to the root of the issue: why does Creative Cloud give me the unpatched 5.0 version which doesn't work. Why doesn't Creative Cloud give me the up-to-date 5.0.2 version then? What's the point of continuing to waste people's time with an unusable 5.0 install of Audition? Update the installer to give you 5.0.2.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 8:04 AM   in reply to GaryRosenzweig

Sorry I should have noticed that this is a Mac thread.  5.0.2 is only relevant if you are running a Windows machine.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points