Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PAragraph Direction Selection Option is missing in CS6

May 11, 2012 9:30 AM

Hello,

I just downloaded CS6 specifically to do some testing on our Arabic fonts. Even thought I have selected the Adobe World Composer option, I do not have the option that lets me choose the paragraph direction like Adobe's website document shows:

Screen shot 2012-05-11 at 12.26.11 PM.png

This is what mine looks like:

Screen Shot 2012-05-11 at 12.25.21 PM.png

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to have this option appear in my Paragraph panel?

thanks!

babs

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 11, 2012 9:55 AM   in reply to iBabs2

I think that you'd need to either purchase the Middle East edition ($$$), or buy World Tools ($). The only thing that has seems to have changed in English ID, as far as multilingual work goes, is that the World Ready Composer has been exposed.

Can you post this link?

I do not have the option that lets me choose the paragraph direction like Adobe's website document shows:

I have also seen some misleading information w/r/t CS6; I don't think that they're doing a good job showing what is in the ME edition versus other editions. If you're talking about this page

http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/indesign/using/arabic-hebrew.ht ml

then note that it says

New and improved features for working in Arabic and Hebrew are available in the Middle East and North African edition of this software.

Gotta read the small print.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 10:04 AM   in reply to iBabs2

I was asking you where you saw the picture with the paragraph direction button, in your screenshot.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 10:30 AM   in reply to iBabs2

Photoshop Help, Babs dear?

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 10:36 AM   in reply to iBabs2

Yup, that page has the same small print - I didn't even notice that it was the Photoshop page but all of the new CS6 help pages about ME features have that same comment about needing "the Middle East or North African edition of this software."

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 11:03 AM   in reply to iBabs2

I won’t even pretend to know the specifics but you can trigger RTL text by cmd/ctrl clicking Fill With Placeholder Text under the Type menu and choosing Hebrew or Arabic.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 11:16 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob, as far as handling complex scripts in InDesign goes, I predict that you just posted the Hack of the Year.

It won't give the user any any of the control which would be necessary for any halfway-decent typesetting. But if all you need is RTL text direction - like an alternate-formats-are-available-in-your-language statement, for example - then this is an obscenely easy way to get it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 11:50 AM   in reply to Joel Cherney

Obscenely easy is good!

Hack away.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 12:43 PM   in reply to iBabs2

I suppose I should have said "tip of the year" - not everyone on the Internet uses "a hack" to in its classical sense of "a method to use a given technology in a clever way, such use not intended by the designer of said technology."  Still, very clever. You could even use the Arabic lorem ipsum to make character and paragraph styles with RTL text flow, come to think of it.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2012 2:24 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob, what if I don't have the option for selecting Hebrew or Arabic in that place?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points