Skip navigation
momsquad60
Currently Being Moderated

Newbie Elements Editing Question

May 11, 2012 9:02 AM

Tags: #elements_10_organizer

I have a 29 minute video that plays in full in Organizer, however when I try to edit it in Elements only the first 14 seconds are available.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 11, 2012 9:14 AM   in reply to momsquad60

The folks in the Premiere Elements forum would know:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 9:14 AM   in reply to momsquad60

Moving to the Premiere Elements forum.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 10:08 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

What model of camcorder is this video from and what format and resolution is it? How did you get it from your camcorder to your computer?

When you started your Premiere Elements project, which project settings did you select?

When you added the video to your project, did you wait for it to completely conform before you started editing? (You can see the progress in the lower right of the interface.)

Try clearing the file from your project and re-importing. This time wait for it to completely conform before you do anything else with it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 11:01 AM   in reply to momsquad60

When you started your project, did you select the option for a standard definition Hard Disk Camcorder? This is very important.

Then put the DVD in your computer's disc drive and use Premiere Elements' Get Media/From DVD Camcorder or PC DVD to rip the files from the disc to your project.

Then wait for it to conform before you edit.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 12:01 PM   in reply to momsquad60

>copied the video from a disk. It has a .vob extension

How about telling everyone the model camcorder, just to provide more information?

Also, read Read Bill Hunt on editing a VOB/MPG file http://forums.adobe.com/thread/464549

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 12:05 PM   in reply to John T Smith

If you let the video conform after you use Get Media to get it into your project, it should work fine.  But it does take a couple of minutes, depending on how long the clips are and how fast your computer is.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 2:19 PM   in reply to momsquad60

>video clips on it from about 15-20 years ago

>Sony_DVD_Recorder_Volume

Since I do not think there was such a thing as a DVD camera that long ago, my GUESS is that someone converted movies to a playable DVD at some time, and what you have is a copy of that, not something that was directly recorded to a DVD by a camera

Depending on HOW the conversion was done, you may (or may not) have any easy time editing those files... I think if you read in Hunt's link that I posted, he mentions that DVD recorders (like to recorde a TV show) sometimes do "odd" things that make it very difficult to edit the files

You may want to ask the person who gave you the DVD just exactly what they did

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 2:21 PM   in reply to momsquad60

Kim,

Having the VOB's, seems to indicate that the disc might be a DVD-Video (standard DVD to play on the computer with DVD software player program, or on a stand-alone DVD player, hooked to a TV). Are those VOB files inside of a VIDEO_TS folder, along with some IFO and BUP files?

On a DVD-Video, there should be a VIDEO_TS folder (and possibly an AUDIO_TS folder). If that is the case, then the first VOB should have any navigation, any Menus, and then the first part of the MPEG-2 file, which can, and usually will span the other VOB's.

However, all VOB's are not created equal, as that article, that John T. linked to, will point out. Most DVR (DVD Recorders) will create a first VOB, that will give PrE issues. That is due to their rudimentary navigation, that is seldom 100% DVD-compliant. If that is the case, then using other software to rip the MPEG-2 from the VOB container, will probably be the best course of action.

Now, it could well be that someone did a DVD-Data disc, and just copied over the VOB files from a DVD-Video.

Also, for Importing VOB files, I would Copy those over to an internal HDD (Hard Disk Drive), and Import from there. This will do two things:

1. Speed the Importing process up greatly
    2. Relieve you from having to have that DVD in the multi-drive, every time that you Open your Project

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points