Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Open the "Merge Files into a Single PDF" utility via script or exe?

Mar 26, 2012 3:06 PM

Greetings:

I'm trying to find a method to open the Merge Files into a Single PDF utilty without opening Acrobat first.  Does anyone have some example code on how to open this dialog window?  It doesn't matter what language it is in, I can do the legwork to translate it to something I can understand.

Ideally, I'd like to open the combine/merge window through an EXE or VBScript and pass it a handful of filenames that would appear in the programs list to process.

Any help would be *GREATLY* appreciated.

Thanks,

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 27, 2012 1:47 AM   in reply to Chireven

Hi,

As far as I am aware it is not possible to pass a list of files to this dialog using any API in Acrobat.

You could however create your own VB .net application that has a mutli file select dialog box and the use the JSObject to merge all those files and open the resultant file in Acrobat.

There are samples in the Acrobat SDK that show how to use the JSObject and the JavaScript function you could use to perform the merge are in the SDK documentation, I would start with investigating "insertPages".

Please note that using the Acrobat SDK requires the Acrobat program to be installed and it will also need to be running in order to convert the files.

Hope this helps

Malcolm

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 7:59 AM   in reply to Chireven

Hi,

Did you find any solution for your problem?

I'm searching a solution for a similar problem:

1. in an external program I have list of files (pdf, Word, Excel, ...) stored on the file system
    2. I want to send this list of files to the combine/merge dialog of Acrobat Pro (shell, command line, automation, ...?)
    3. now the user may work within Acrobat (reorder the files, create pdf, save)

Thanks for any ideas.

Roni

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 8:10 AM   in reply to roniho

There are no APIs for doing this – sorry.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 11:41 AM   in reply to BarlaeDC

Hi Roni, I am also looking for solution to similar problem of combining two or more images into one pdf.

Where can I get the info on all the functions in the acrobat SDK ? What is the API utilities ?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points