Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS5.1 replaced my CS5 with problems

May 10, 2012 9:07 PM

I have written this a few minutes ago but th forum shows only a blank sheet

Following the advice of a knowledgeable individual, i attempte to consolidate my many actions into a single master folder and to use aliases in the appropriate folders oc CS5 and CS 6, to avoid clutter.

After i finished, WHATEVER it was that  I MAY HAVE DONE, i attempted to restart CS5. I was shown a message that some important files were missing and that I must reinstall CS5. I then uninstalled CS5.

I could find only a .dmg file for CS5.1. It was already present on my hard drive. I ran that installer and now I have Photoshop CS5 and a Photoshop CS5.1 folders, along with the appropriate bridge, manager, prefs, folders, etc.

Now both of these apps appear to run fine but there is a problem with prefs. Also, i don't know which of these to delete, and which associated folders. I suppose all that are labeled with CS5 or with CS5.1.

any advice other, than "be very ashamed"?

thanks,

vince

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 11, 2012 1:58 AM   in reply to vinsolo

vinsolo wrote:

Following the advice of a knowledgeable individual, i attempte to consolidate my many actions into a single master folder and to use aliases in the appropriate folders oc CS5 and CS 6, to avoid clutter.

People with the knowledge to help you will problably need more information about the "many actions" you are talking about and what changes you made.  Did you try to combine system files of both versions in one folder?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 11, 2012 2:02 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

I think I found your original post that contains more information.http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1002373?tstart=0

Today the forum software seems to be acting up.  I also got blank windows when trying to view some posts, but your original post seems to be there ok.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,528 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 11, 2012 3:02 PM   in reply to vinsolo

vinsolo wrote:

I'm not sure I fully understand what you're saying here about aliases...

Is it possible you mean plug-ins?  I ask because Actions are just data files you can load into Photoshop.  One .atn file could be loaded into any number of Photoshop versions from one place on your disk.  Photoshop does not refer directly to .atn files that have been loaded.  In fact, it stores the actions in a separate preferences file.

Is it possible you mean plug-ins?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,528 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 11, 2012 6:05 PM   in reply to vinsolo

Actually, you have it mostly right, but I think what you really want to do is to save your created actions, and 3rd party actions you've obtained from elsewhere, as .atn files in a safe central location separate from any of the Photoshop installation areas.  You can use subfolders as needed to organize things, and this should be a place you back up, much the same as your important documents, so that you're protected from loss.

Without doing anything special regarding setting up Aliases, in Photoshop just use the little fly-out menu icon at the upper-right of the Photoshop Actions panel and choose Load Actions and choose an .atn file.

Each .atn file you load will show up at the bottom of the Actions panel, and you can drag it to a different place in the panel if you like.

To save a set of actions, click once on an actions set name to highlight it, then using that same little fly-out icon choose Save Actions.  Save the set as an .atn file in that safe place on your disk you've created for actions storage.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,528 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 11, 2012 6:14 PM   in reply to vinsolo

Just take it slow, and if something doesn't seem right or you see it do something unexpected, just come back on the forum here; someone will help you get through it.

I'm sorry to say I don't have a good idea why what you did should have corrupted Photoshop.  But in general you probably shouldn't mess with the files in the various Photoshop installation folders.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points