• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Advanced action with effect

Enthusiast ,
Mar 23, 2012 Mar 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri created an impressive tutorial that included adding an effect to an advanced action.

My question is: Is there a way to adjust the timing on the effect in the advanced action. The effect I'm using is Faded Zoomin. I want to speed it up so that it takes about half the time that it does now.

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 23, 2012 Mar 23, 2012

Hi Jay,

No, you cannot time an effect in an advanced action. One of my multiple feature requests for advanced actions that I hope will once be added.

The only workaround is to create a custom effect with the wanted timing and apply that with the advanced action. You do the timing, save the action (best in a folder Custom in the Gallery\Effects). Then be sure first to apply the effect in a normal way to an object, or it will not show up in the dropdown list in the Advanced action.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jay,

No, you cannot time an effect in an advanced action. One of my multiple feature requests for advanced actions that I hope will once be added.

The only workaround is to create a custom effect with the wanted timing and apply that with the advanced action. You do the timing, save the action (best in a folder Custom in the Gallery\Effects). Then be sure first to apply the effect in a normal way to an object, or it will not show up in the dropdown list in the Advanced action.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri,

It's great that there is a way to adjust the timing.

I'm not able to make it work. Could you explain in a little more detail?

What I did was:

1) Selected an object on the slide.

2) Applied the effect to that object with the proper timing.

3) Used the Save button in the Effects panel to save the effect. I saved it into the Gallery > Effects > Entrance folder > Custom folder, gave it a unique name and left the .xml file extension.

However,  I don't see it in the list of effects in the Effects panel, nor in the list of effects in advanced actions. Since it isn't showing, I'm not able to apply the effect in a normal way to an object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only folder I could get visible, without having to reset the Preferences (by deleting the Captivate 5.5 folder in the user's profile) is the Custom folder, but right under the Gallery, not as as a subfolder under Entrance.

Think I explained this in an old post (but did not reread it, too late and too tired over here), and posterous seems to be down. It was one of the first posts I wrote, and it seems now that posterous has been acquired by Twitter that I should have to move because it happens too often that the site is completely down.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

Thanks. I found the correct folder and am now able to choose my custom effect in the advanced action. Still a problem, though. The timing is the same as before: too long. Captivate doesn't seem to be aware of the change in timing.

If you have any suggestions to fix this timing issue, that would be great. Otherwise, I'll have to live with the longer timing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2012 Mar 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jay,

Forgot to add that timing is always relative for effects (another of my feature requests to be able to choose for absolute timing as well): if the object's timeline is 3secs and the effect 2secs, and you'll add the effect later to an object with a timeline of 6secs, the effect will get a duration of 4secs. Did you time the effect taking into account this? I didn't check the XML-file for this effect, but if it doesn't work you should have more control combining two other effects (combination to be saved in one custom effect): scale (for the zoom) and alpha (for the fading). But even there the relative timing is applied

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 28, 2012 Mar 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri,

Just to let you know, I gave up on the custom effect. It didn't work correctly for me, and in addition, seemed to cause corruption on the slide that has the custom effect in the advanced action. So, I let Captivate have its way, and used a standard effect.

Thanks for your help. Your advise and tutorial allowed me to get the effect I wanted, even if it is a little slower than I'd like. Still impressive. I've learned so much from you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

two questions about timing and advanced action:

- I am trying to do something similar: I got 4 drag and drop widgets on the same page. I want that, when one drag and drop is finished,  the text used in that widget turn into grey. Only "tint" in advanced action makes it flash one second. So I did what you have done: set my effect (tint grey on total time of object). save it, put it on an object, go to my advanced action, choose the custom effect. The fact is: when I updated my advanced action, my effect turns automatically for "tint". So it only flash.... Do you have an idea why?

- Is there a way to do something like : if button is pushed, make appear something, then (after 2 sec) go to next slide.

thanks,

Laurie-Anne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources