Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 H.264 Blu-ray  5.1 Dolby

May 9, 2012 2:42 PM

CS6

I don't seem to have the option of Dolby Digital 5.1 sound export from the H 264 Blu-ray preset.

I have not activated the Surcode plugin yet ( I'm waiting for the code email) but the Mpeg 2 dvd and Blu-ray give the 5.1 option.

Richard Knight

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 10, 2012 1:45 PM   in reply to Richard M Knight

AS far a I understand encore has no way to take blu-ray to replication anyway. Encore lacks the security lock (AACS)  that all replicated blu-rays require. therefore the only options with replication of blu-ray to begin with is do-studio, blu-print, or scenarist. (that's how it was with cs5 anyway)

EDited to add: n/m I completely misinterpreted the OP. too much multi-tasking today. Info still stands for replications, but as far as the DD 5.1 I don't work with that, so I have no advice I hear adobe fixed the DTS issue in encore though.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 1:33 PM   in reply to Richard M Knight

Hi Richard,

Two points to answer your initial post:

First is that you need to use the H.264 Blu-ray (Legacy) option in Premiere Pro and AME CS6 to access Surcode Dolby. This is why the "(Legacy)" option is there. We encountered a late technical problem which prevented us from hooking up the Surcode encoder to the new H.264 Blu-ray encoder (the non-legacy one). We therefore decided to keep the Legacy encoder available so all functionality from CS5.5 is preserved.

Second is that none of the presets enable Dolby audio; by default they use PCM. If you want to use Surcode then you need to edit the settings manually. You can save those custom settings as a new preset.

-=TimK

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 2:24 PM   in reply to Richard M Knight

It's not a preset, it's a different option in the Formats list. This is how it looks in the Export Settings dialog:

H264BR_Legacy.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 2:33 PM   in reply to Tim Kurkoski

No legacy options in my  windows build (319).

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

As Richard noted, this option is in AME and not in the Export Settings dialog you see in Premiere Pro. Sorry about the confusion (I'm an After Effects guy, but I minored in AME).

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 2:49 PM   in reply to Tim Kurkoski

There are only two legacy options in H264 BluRay and they are for dv 480 and 720.

The other legacy options appear when you select the DV legacy option in AME.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 2:50 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

Ann, that doesn't sound right. Please post a screenshot of what you're seeing.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 2:57 PM   in reply to Tim Kurkoski

This is what i see when i open the export settings.

no legacy.png

I select a preset and hit queue: AME opens.

legacy ame.png

I select the DV legacy and go back to the export settings when i get this.

legacy 3.png

Hope this makes sence.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 3:07 PM   in reply to Richard M Knight

I don't do DD5.1 (I do DTS) but could the op just export the video as an h264 export with stereo sound, then a second export including the dd5.1 attached to an mpeg blu-ray export, and delete the mpeg video when done and just import the 2 separate assets to encore ? Or simply export the dd5.1 by itself with no accompanying video? Extra time, but won't it work?

Sent from iPhone 4s

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 3:19 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

Richard - You're looking at the list in Premiere Pro. The Legacy encoder options don't appear there, only in AME. I don't know why that is and have asked a colleague on the Premiere team about this.

Ann - The preset you are selecting is the "Match Source Attributes" preset for the legacy H.264 Blu-ray encoder. It will match the frame dimensions, frame rate, field order and PAR of your source. Open the settings for that preset to confirm this. It is not a DV preset.

I think what may be confusing you is that the Frame Size column summarizes the frame dimensions as 720x480. This actually isn't true, AME is using "720x480" as a placeholder for "Whatever the frame rate of your source video really is", which is too long to fit in that field. (Note that the Frame Rate column lists "var. fps" for that preset.) This is something of a bug, or rather a design decision we didn't fully resolve in CS6. Sorry about the confusion.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 5:29 PM   in reply to Tim Kurkoski

I am getting no Legacy options in Premiere export Dialog OR AME CS6 in my Adobe Cloud downloaded setup. One of my main things I was anticipating was PCM surround instead of AC3, but now I apparently have neither!

Screen Shot 2012-05-11 at 8.21.30 PM.png

Edit: I'm apparently missing quite a few presets in my install! I have no DVD presets, nothing under "other", HDV, or MPEG-2 options!

HELP!

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 5:45 PM   in reply to geffyb

geffy - Can you post a screenshot of what your format list looks like? Do this:

1) Add something to the Queue in AME.

2) Click the drop-down menu in the Format column (should get a list like: AAC Audio, AIFF, DPX, F4V, etc.)

3) Take a screenshot of that.

We are currently investigating a problem where AME, when installed with Premiere Pro or After Effects via Creative Cloud, does not have the MPEG2 or Dolby encoders. I suspect you're running into exactly that, and I just want to confirm.

Regarding the Legacy encoders, yes, you do have them. The two presets for "Match Source Attributes" that are in your screenshot belong to the H.264 Blu-ray (Legacy) encoder. (If you widen the Format column header in the Preset Browser panel, you can see the full names. Also, the menu I asked you to take a screenshot of will confirm this.)

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 6:08 PM   in reply to Tim Kurkoski

Does this thread mean that we can't create and author a DVD or BD with 5.1 surround sound using the Adobe tools like multi track Audition and 99 tracks of Premiere Pro? With such powerful audio tools why should Adobe look for a 3rd Party to accomplish this? I really don't get it. I recall years ago when I last used Pinnacle Studio 9, it had the option of creating a 5.1 surround sound although limited to two 2 audio tracks in the timeline.

I am cutting a low budget movie right now with CS5.5 but can't figure out how to export my foley, SFX, dialogue and ambience from different angles to create that surround system by just using the renowed Adobe tools.

This suite includes video editing, visual effects (AE & PS +IL) and AU for the audio, so how can I get this to give me the surround feeling without leaving the timeline and dynamic link?

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 6:11 PM   in reply to srukweza

srukweza wrote:

Does this thread mean that we can't create and author a DVD or BD with 5.1 surround sound using the Adobe tools like multi track Audition and 99 tracks of Premiere Pro? With such powerful audio tools why should Adobe look for a 3rd Party to accomplish this? I really don't get it. I recall years ago when I last used Pinnacle Studio 9, it had the option of creating a 5.1 surround sound although limited to two 2 audio tracks in the timeline.

you can create it, you just can't trasncobe it without the surcode plug-in which is $250 (last i checked) still a steal for fully license DD5.1, but if you want to do any 5.1 (DD or DTS) you do need an external encoder (dts) or a monetary plugin (DD)

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 6:39 PM   in reply to Tim Kurkoski

Here's the screenshot, I can confirm I'm missing MPEG-2

Screen Shot 2012-05-11 at 9.25.09 PM.png

It is ridiculous that we can't export to 5.1 out of premiere. I thought the partnership with DTS would bring this about? or was this a dropped feature? http://finance.yahoo.com/news/dts-alliance-adobe-brings-dts-120000997. html

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 7:31 PM   in reply to Keith_Clark

Why should this be solved by a third party when  Adobe has got a complete Production Suite?

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 7:34 PM   in reply to srukweza

srukweza wrote:

Why should this be solved by a third party when  Adobe has got a complete Production Suite?

its always been this way. adobe used to work out a deal with surcode to get a discount. don't know if they still are... but, thats how it has always been. evidently, surcode is a fully licensed version of DD5.1, meaning you can even use it for major productions, and be able to boldly advertise you have DD5.1 without being sued. its legit DD5.1 if adobe packed that in, they would have to raise costs, and the consumer would pay. since not everyone uses DD 5.1 (i'm on of them) why should we have to pay for it?

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 8:11 PM   in reply to geffyb

geffyb wrote:

It is ridiculous that we can't export to 5.1 out of premiere. I thought the partnership with DTS would bring this about? or was this a dropped feature? http://finance.yahoo.com/news/dts-alliance-adobe-brings-dts-120000997. html

article states:

"Adobe Systems Incorporated has integrated DTS audio technology to enhance the upcoming release of Adobe® Encore® CS6 software, the latest 64-bit version of the disc authoring software tool designed for video professionals, which is included with Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 and Adobe CS6 Production Premium. The software’s integration of DTS-HD Master Audio™, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio™ and DTS Digital Surround™ technologies enables users to publish Blu-ray Disc™ and DVD disc images with up to 5.1 channels of surround sound for an immersive audio experience and condensed audio file size, which increases multi-device compatibility. "

which is true. encore now handles DTS-MA which it never did before. so the deal they worked out was a success in that regard. the deal never said anything about adding DTS encoding to PrPro.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 10:13 AM   in reply to geffyb

geffy: Over the weekend we released a 6.0.1 patch for AME CS6 that fixes the problem where the MPEG2 and MXF OP1a encoders are missing in AME when installed via Creative Cloud.

Apply the patch by choosing Help > Updates in AME or any other CS6 application. Please try that and report back if it fixed your problem.

Everyone: there are a number of other bug fixes in this patch as well, it is a recommended update. Here's Todd's initial post about it. We'll be posting more detailed information about this patch in the near future.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 4:51 AM   in reply to Tim Kurkoski

Thanks! It fixed all my issues, great responce on this guys!

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 8:18 AM   in reply to Richard M Knight

1 Question.

When i export video in adobe encore cs5 with h.264 Blu-ray i have 3 files but i can't play this files on PC. What i have to change to create h.264 Blu-ray in 1 file (with video and sound together)?

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 8:36 AM   in reply to Triprosopos

You dont. Just do an h264 file instead and skip the Blu-ray export.

Sent from my iPhone

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 4:14 AM   in reply to geffyb

geffyb wrote:

Here's the screenshot, I can confirm I'm missing MPEG-2

Screen Shot 2012-05-11 at 9.25.09 PM.png

Actually, you still cannot encode to DTS even with Encore CS6's internal encoder. Adobe completely lacks a DTS encoder in the entire Creative Suite because DTS encoding requires the payment of a hefty licensing fee to the company that markets DTS that would have substantially increased the price of the Premiere Pro application into the tens of thousands of dollars per copy (as opposed to the current price of several hundred dollars). What Encore CS6 adds as far as DTS is concerned is just add support for already-encoded DTS audio with or without transcoding. Encore CS5.5 did not handle DTS audio at all even on import.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 9:08 PM   in reply to geffyb

I decided to return to CS5.5. CS6 seems to be an work in progress. Seems to be a software that was not completed developed, and by the pressures of market place, was delivered in this way. I cant time to be converting my raw material to a format that Premiere Likes. My mainConcept Studio, works perfectely and like Surcode is perfect legal to encode in 5.1, and with better results . I know is very expensive, but worths the fortune it costs.

The lack of MPEG2 support is a shame, and ridiculous.

Maybe someday, in a Year or two, CS6 will be completed.

And still have the problem of not being able to install the suite of MainConcept in CS6.
    The fortunes of Adobe is the ability to install via cloud services and users can pay just a little each month. So the malcontents like me who saw that is a bad release, and felt discouraged by this version´s many fails, the missing resources, without many skills with the many formats that were natively supported in 5.5, just drop back and return to the previous that worked well.
    Thus, in this case Adobe gets rid of long process of justice, because for less than $ 100 no one will waste time suing Adobe.

The worst part of this back-to-the-past, story are the two working days reinstalling CS5.5, then the suites of MainConcept, Boris, Magic Bullet, Grid Iron, NewBlu, iZotope, and another third-party plugins I use. The good of this whole story is that the major flaw was that in the CS5.5 : The Limited Audition, but can now be overcome with the installation of Audition CS6, which brings back many great features of 3.0 that disappeared in CS5.5. Remember that the damn lack of support for MPEG video continues in Audition, but it supports MPEG4, WMV, MOV, which is enough to do a good job of post production sound.

In my opinion, the best we can do is one step back now to do two steps ahead in the future.

Leon Unger.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2012 4:43 PM   in reply to LeonUnger

The lack of MPEG2 support is a shame, and ridiculous.

And also incorrect.  CS6, even in trial mode, has no issues with MPEG media.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2012 9:02 PM   in reply to Richard M Knight

I ran across this nasty little problem creating a Blu-ray disc for a film festival we got selected to screen for. I am using your workaround of encoding the audio and video separately. I have done this before with long renders as I found once or twice, I have had audio drop out on a very long encode session, but not if I rendered audio and video separately.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2012 10:17 AM   in reply to PlatinumProductionz

Separate video and audio files is the preferred work flow for authoring, not a work around.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2012 7:21 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

In fact, we discover that the lack of MPEG2 support will be resolved in CS6, but AA CS6 still do not import, but PPro CS6, Encore, AE, will import with no problems , and even that infamous error when importing a project from 5.5 , or CS5 in CS6, he says that there are no importers to decode the content, resolves, it is clear that using external plugins like I use, (Boris, Magic Bullet, Mojo, etc.) must be also be installed on CS6, finally, the CS6 is now open smoothly projects with contents in MPEG2 normally as did the previous one.

The problem is that this solution costs about $ 1000 .... !! yes ... unfortunately ... This price is high as this way when purchasing all the modules that includes all exporters standards for digital cinema, as Motion JPEG and other formats used in Digital film.

To work without need this exporters, the amount paid is less.

The whole problem in this story is that WE HAVE TO BUY, AND PAY more money for a software package of plugins to do something that the old versions were already done .

I think it must have a trick with the Adobe for the behalf of MainConcept, to increase their sales.

For CS5 and 5.5 the version of this package is the MainConcept Suite 5.1 and the CS6 version changed its name to ROVI TOTALCODE V6.01.

Another benefit from ROVI TotalCode is the full support of CUDA hardware from NVIDIA. It can be used to import, play the timeline smootthy , better than Mercury Engine, and

can be use to export ( acceletated presets on Rovi´s Settings pane ) , that cut off substantial time in our work.

I hate to accept that this new purchace was the only solution we learn after months of researh , to get this solutions for us here. The most part of our material is in MPEG, SD or HD.

We here love MPEG !!!!

You guys can get more information on their website in www.mainconcept.com.

So with this solution , all tha way we are accostumated, returns. The PProCS6 goes directely to Encore, to generate our BluRays and DVD etc ...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2012 5:28 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim Simon wrote:

Separate video and audio files is the preferred work flow for authoring, not a work around.

While I appreciate the wisdom of adjusting our work-flow, due to experience, to this technique, me-thinks if this were not a workaroud, Adobe would have not allowed Video and Audio to render together ... or at least post somewhere a recommendation this not be done.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2012 5:30 AM   in reply to LeoSSom

LeoSsom, it's hard to follow what you are saying.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2012 9:10 AM   in reply to PlatinumProductionz

PlatinumProductionz wrote:

Jim Simon wrote:

While I appreciate the wisdom of adjusting our work-flow, due to experience, to this technique, me-thinks if this were not a workaroud, Adobe would have not allowed Video and Audio to render together ... or at least post somewhere a recommendation this not be done.

what he was referring to is, the only way (encore atleast) will build a dvd or blu-ray is multiplexed (or is it de-multiplexed?) video files, meaning 1 video, 1 audio, seperate (unless its blu-ray and it's a h264 complient stream, it's possible that way). almost all the options of joined assets, are for digital delivery (like sending to youtube, uploading to web servers, ipod touches, hosting on a local server, etc), or intermediates (composite avis, quicktime files for mac, low quality mpeg for use of heavy effects that are later replaced, etc). if you export in any form of compressed media (sans BR complient h264 file) for disc build, encore will just retrasncode it to seperate it for you since you did not do that for it to begin with, resulting in a generation loss, and a waste of time. may as well skip the middle man and render out to a disc complient version yourself in premiere (seperated dvd-mpeg, seperated bluray mpeg, seperated bluray h264, or bluray complient joined h264) [caveat: the only reason some of us (not me included) export to one stream is exporting to dv-avi video file for dvd, or similar codec for blu-ray, and letting encore decide itself how to encode.... but i prefer to do the number crunch myslef. i get the menu complete and all other misc. assets complete in encore, build a disc image, deduct the size of that from the size of the disc, and then use premiere to adjust bitrate to fill remainder disc space for main presentation. that way i don't have to wait for encore to render a file i could have exported myself from premiere.]

there is no reason for adobe to post this as a recommendation, encore SHOWS US this is the recommendation with how it works

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2012 9:41 AM   in reply to Keith_Clark

Put that way, I get it. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2012 10:40 AM   in reply to PlatinumProductionz

Also, going back to the original question (DD 5.1 SS), one will be Encoding that Audio Stream with the SurCode DD 5.1 SS plug-in, so they will not be muxing the output file, but doing a separate Export for the Video Stream, and then the Audio Stream as a DD AC3 through SurCode.

Also, some Adobe programs do not do the best job with muxed MPEG files. There is a very slight bock size difference, between the Audio and Video Encoding, and that, or something else, seems to interfer with the demuxing, for authoring, and/or editing.

As Jim states, having separate files for each Stream is preferred by most, when doing authoring.

Muxing is really only useful, when one needs to deliver a streaming file, and most players do a better job of keeping the Audio & Video in sync.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2012 1:39 PM   in reply to srukweza

srukweza wrote:

Exactly. This is supposed to be a full production package, I'm not saying DTS, but at least Dolby 5.1 should be included. I had to buy Sony Vegas to have that capability, which I got for only $99 because I had a previous version and they were running a one day promo, but if a $500 NLE like Vegas has it, it can't be that expensive to include, especially when you're trying to market Premiere as the new NLE of choice for pros.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points