Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

effects effecting half tones

Sep 7, 2011 1:00 PM

I'm have issues with the special effects causing my b/w half tones to go flat. It's really odd, if I use a drop shadow or bevel or any other effect anywhere on the page the photo goes flat. Any advice out there? Anyone know the cause or how to fix it? BTW this only happens in greyscale, not cmyk or rgb.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 7, 2011 2:07 PM   in reply to Marcy McGuire

When do you see it go "flat" upon export, print or on screen?  If export to what format and assuming PDF using what export setting?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2011 3:10 PM   in reply to Marcy McGuire

Well as luck would have it Peter Spier is answering the same question inanother thread here as we type.  Have a look at that.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2011 3:23 PM   in reply to Marcy McGuire

Probably the only real "fix" is to convert them to gray using the Black Ink channel for your CMYk target space.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2011 3:25 PM   in reply to Marcy McGuire

And would you minde removing the auto-signature from your email responses? You may get reported as a spammer.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2011 3:47 PM   in reply to Marcy McGuire

Yes, in Photoshop. I just put a screen capture in the other thread...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2011 4:07 PM   in reply to Marcy McGuire

No Idea what thread from 2002 you are talking about, but I just put a screen cap into http://forums.adobe.com/thread/900015?tstart=0 a little while ago.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2011 2:44 AM   in reply to Marcy McGuire

Sorry,

Had to quit for the night.

>" Photo shop takes me to my ColorSync Profiles."

Pick the CMYK proile you are using for output. Photoshop will load the black channel for the gray profile.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,142 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Sep 8, 2011 4:45 AM   in reply to Marcy McGuire

Check this thread

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3484956#3484956

Grayscales can be color managed with a CMYK profile. From Color Settings Working Spaces Gray choose Load Gray.. and then load the desired CMYK profile:

Screen shot 2011-09-08 at 7.32.25 AM.png

Screen shot 2011-09-08 at 7.33.00 AM.png

Note that you have to click More Options and get the expanded Color Settings dialog for this to work. Also make sure the Grayscale doesn't have an assignment. You may need to choose Edit>Assign Profiles and choose your working gray space:

Screen shot 2011-09-08 at 7.43.56 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 2:01 PM   in reply to Marcy McGuire

CS6 suuports expor to a grayscale profile, but I don't think that's what you really mean.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 2:18 PM   in reply to Marcy McGuire

Export to grayscale is more or less analagous to the exisiting conversion to CMYK or RGB options that allow you to leave images in their native color space and export a grayscale PDF (you used to have to Print to PDF to get composite grayscale). I don't think it is going to do what you want, but why not download the trial version and see for yourself?

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,142 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    May 11, 2012 2:32 PM   in reply to Marcy McGuire

The problem you are describing only effects the preview of the layout, the change in preview has no effect on CMYK output. The original grayscale numbers are always output unchanged to the black plate when you export or print to document CMYK.

You've always had the option to convert the entire layout to grayscale from the Print dialog and in that case your starting gray values could change. Peter's saying now you can also make that conversion via a PDF export.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 3:54 PM   in reply to Marcy McGuire

To my knowledge, nothing has changed in CS6 that would affect that.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,142 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    May 11, 2012 4:14 PM   in reply to Marcy McGuire

greyscale image it chaged the contrast and YES it did print this way. The work around was Peter's suggestion of changing the greyscale in PS to black plate only.

That's because the InDesign black plate preview is more accurate than the default Photoshop 20% Dot Gain grayscale preview. When you change profiles the grayscale preview changes but the numbers don't—you can see that in Photoshop by checking the grayscale numbers in Info.

When you load the more accurate profile in Photoshop the preview changes and you are adjusting the image accordingly. It's your image adjustment that's changing the output, not the profile.

Even if ID did have a grayscale color space you would still have a preview problem if you used the default 20% Dot Gain in Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points