Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Some Videos and Games Do Not Work, Mac Snow Leopard

Apr 24, 2012 7:08 PM

Tags: #video #mac #os_x #snow_leopard #games #10.6 #inconsistent

This is a problem I have actually had for a while, but it never really affected much that I considered important. Now it is just getting annoying.

Basically, certain video players and online games do not work. Most video players outside of YouTube will not work. The player will load, but the video never does. For example, the most recent video I have had trouble with is the Nickelodeon video player for The Legend of Korra. When I try to watch that, I get a black box, and a “Loading” type image pops up, swirls around once, and then disappears. After that, the whole thing becomes unresponsive. This is typical of many, but not all, video players I have encountered on the web.

I am not sure if it is related, but I have also had trouble with various games. Often time, they will work fine until reaching some transition point, such as the end of a level, and then they will become unresponsive. A good example here is the game Bloons Tower Defense 4. This is a game I know was responsive on my older system. But now, when it loads the level, it freezes up before loading the available towers to place and becomes otherwise unresponsive.An example is shown below. The top-left question mark box in the right-hand sidebar should reveal a dart monkey, and my starting money should be filled, but instead the game hangs up. I have had similar hang-ups on a number of games, so I am certain the problem is not just with this game.

btd.png

As I said, I have had this problem for a while now. I have upgraded both Flash and my browsers a number of times since they started. I have these problems in all my browsers (Safari, Opera, Camino, Firefox), so it seems to be a problem with Flash. I have also tried uninstalling and re-installing flash and disabling all other browser plug-ins.

I am using a MacBook Pro with Macintosh OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5, with Flash 11.2.202.233. Current Browsers: Firefox 11.0, Opera 11.61, Camino 2.1.2, Safari 5.1.5

Any ideas what I could be overlooking?

Replies
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    May 10, 2012 4:19 PM   in reply to bchri

This is odd.  I know you mentioned that you uninstalled/reinstalled Flash, did you also clear your Flash cache to see if that helped?  Any chance you're running a system level ad blocker/proxy like Glimmer?

How do I clear my Flash Player cache and settings?

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    May 15, 2012 4:12 PM   in reply to bchri

Can you take a look at your local and global storage settings to make sure websites can save settings on your system?

Btw, I also noticed the formatting problem if the browser window's width is too narrow.  We just changed our forum skin and these issues have been popping up.  I'll let the team know.

Chris

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    May 16, 2012 6:49 PM   in reply to bchri

Ok, I think the next step would be to give our 11.3 beta 3 release a try and if that doesn't solve the problem, go ahead and enter a new bug report at bugbase.adobe.com.  Please be aware though that we're going to need to be able to reproduce this problem to have a shot at fixing it.  I suspect you've got something different about your system and we'll need to figure out what it is.

Chris

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    May 18, 2012 4:12 PM   in reply to bchri

You might want to give the debug player a shot, maybe it'll throw and exception that will give us a clue with what's happening.

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/updaters/11/flashplay er_11_plugin_debug.dmg

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    May 22, 2012 2:19 PM   in reply to bchri

These errors make me think that Flash is having problems writing to the folder were the Flash cookies are stored (LSO, sharedobject).  On the Mac, this is

• ~\Library\Preferences\Macromedia\Flash Player\
    • ~\Library\Caches\Adobe\Flash Player\

Can you check the permissions for these folders?  You might want to run verify permissions on your drive (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1452) then delete the ~\Library\Preferences\Macromedia folder and the ~\Library\Caches\Adobe\Flash Player folder.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    May 23, 2012 1:47 AM   in reply to bchri

It could be you are just running into known exceptions with the applicaitons.  If you're able to get further now, I'd suggest uninstalling the debug version of the player and reinstalling the release version. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 25, 2012 7:51 AM   in reply to bchri

The symptoms you describe are exactly what I've been seeing, except that I'm running Windows 7 instead of Mac.

It would be great if someone could help. I've scoured the internet trying to find someone with a similar problem.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points