Skip navigation
trospero
Currently Being Moderated

What happens to my LR3 if I buy LR4 from the App Store?

May 10, 2012 4:14 PM

Tags: #app #lightroom3 #app_store #lightroom4

I currently have Lightroom 3 (education version) and I wish to buy LR4 from the Apple App Store. If I do, will my current settings, catalogs, presets, etc., be migrated to LR4? Or will I be losing all my LR3 data? Any other unforseen difficulties I might be facing if I buy LR4 this way? Thanks.

Paul

What.....NOBODY has an answer for this??

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 11, 2012 12:28 AM   in reply to trospero

No answers simply because LR4 isn't available in the App Store. You need to get it directly from Adobe and it will import all your catalogs, presets and settings you've made and set in LR3.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 12:32 AM   in reply to trospero

I think Adobe is a better place to buy it from than Apple

I simply installed LR4 while LR3 was installed (win7) and can now run either. My presets showed up in LR4 when I opened it.

Having got used to LR4 I may soon uninstall my LR3 because LR4 is better

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 1:11 AM   in reply to dhphoto2012

Lightroom 4 is available (apparently ) in the App store for US customers only. However it is cheaper to buy it directly from Adobe as you can get an upgrade price which isn't available from teh App store (and it doesn't look like the App stroe version is upgradeable either)

However you buy it,  you should be able to run both LR 3 and LR 4 as the catalog is upgraded to LR4 by making a copy, leaving the original LR3 catalog intact, should you wish to return to it, but carrying over the LR3 setting into the new catalog.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 1:26 AM   in reply to Susan S.

For the annoucement re the Mac App Store , see http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/05/lightroom-4-now-availa ble-on-the-mac-app-store.html

Also see Matt's valid concerns http://lightroomkillertips.com/2012/news-lightroom-4-is-on-the-mac-sto re/

And remember that when you buy from Adobe, they get the money. When you buy from Apple, they take their cut.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 1:31 AM   in reply to Susan S.

Oh wow, I'm sorry, didn't know that. I'm on the other side of the pond here and I checked the App Store and couldn't find it, hence my comment...

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 3:45 AM   in reply to emile.gregoire

There's not much in it but I'd prefer Adobe to get my money over Apple, who I hate.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 11:17 AM   in reply to dhphoto2012

dhphoto2012 wrote:

There's not much in it but I'd prefer Adobe to get my money over Apple, who I hate.

That shoudn't be a problem ... Windows users can't purchase software from the Mac App Store ... so you have nothing to worry about ...

There are many benefits from purchasing software from the Mac App Store, Easy access to updates, which are Delta updates, no need to download and install the entire program, just the updated code, it is installed and registered in the background and available from the Cloud from wherever you can access the internet ... no more tracking install discs and serial numbers ... you can also download, install and use the software on up to 5 computers ...

That said ... unless or until Apple offers an upgrade path, for apps like Lr, it may not be in the average user's best interest ... since the App Store is so new, all of the software is first generation (as far as the store itself is concerned) so we may have to wait and see how Apple addresses the upgrade issue ...

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 11:20 AM   in reply to john beardsworth

johnbeardy wrote:

And remember that when you buy from Adobe, they get the money. When you buy from Apple, they take their cut.

Well ... more money for the Adobe coffers doesn't always equate with a benefit for the common good ... otherwise Adobe wouldn't bother with offering the software on the App Store ... the bean counters must be just fine with losing a commission to Apple ... I don't understand why folks aren't so upset when Amazon or Staples and other resellers are getting a "cut" ... Why is there only one evil entity on this planet?

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 6:13 PM   in reply to trospero

trospero wrote:

dhphoto2012 wrote:

EXACTLY ... if you are not a solution  ... you are part of the PROBLEM!

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 6:27 PM   in reply to trospero

trospero wrote:

Thank you everyone who answered my question. I think its unfortunate that it also turned into an "I hate Apple" discussion as well. I like the Apple computing environment and I use the App Store, so it is an appealing way for me to get LR4 and keep it up to date. I wasn't looking for critiques on my choice of options to acquire the software :-(

Please consider this a closed topic, thanks.

The problem is, that at the moment  Apple have not yet got their head around the issue of upgrade pricing on teh App store - so once LR5 comes out (as things stand at the moment) you will have to pay full price again. So keeping up to date may be a problem. But if you want to install LR on more than 2 macs, and not having a Windows licence is not an issue, it's a decent way to buy the program. I'm not an Apple hater by any means, but the whole app store thing works less well for more expensive applications where significant upgrade discounts are available from the software producer.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 8:10 PM   in reply to Susan S.

Susan S. wrote:

The problem is, that at the moment  Apple have not yet got their head around the issue of upgrade pricing on teh App store -

True ... but we are at least 18 months to 2 years away from Lr 5 ... Don't you think perhaps Apple will address the issue of upgrades by then? The Apple store has only been open for a little more than a year ... and don't lose the sight that Apple doesn't make a dime if no one buys the software offered ... I don't think they are going to do anythung detrimental to that income opportunity if at all possible ... Sooner or later ... they will have to offer an upgrade path in the store ... the manner in which they do is the only question ...

While I agree, that currently , there is no upgrade path in the App Store ... I also don't think that avenue will be dormant or non existent in the future ... time will tell ...

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 8:40 PM   in reply to Butch_M

Butch_M wrote:

Susan S. wrote:

The problem is, that at the moment  Apple have not yet got their head around the issue of upgrade pricing on teh App store -

True ... but we are at least 18 months to 2 years away from Lr 5 ... Don't you think perhaps Apple will address the issue of upgrades by then? The Apple store has only been open for a little more than a year ... and don't lose the sight that Apple doesn't make a dime if no one buys the software offered ... I don't think they are going to do anythung detrimental to that income opportunity if at all possible ... Sooner or later ... they will have to offer an upgrade path in the store ... the manner in which they do is the only question ...

While I agree, that currently , there is no upgrade path in the App Store ... I also don't think that avenue will be dormant or non existent in the future ... time will tell ...

But for any one who already owns LR3, that's more than a bit of risk to take, as Adobe are quite up front about the issue of upgrades (quoting the Adobe press release:)

• "There is no upgrade pricing available on the Mac App Store for Lightroom customers who own Lightroom 1, 2 or 3.
    • Because there is no upgrade pricing or upgrade validation currently available on the Mac App Store, there is no guarantee that upgrade pricing will be available to Mac App Store Lightroom 4 customers when Lightroom 5 and future versions of Lightroom are released."

If you want to install it on the maximum of 5 Macs that can be linked to an Apple account then it's not such a bad deal. But for anyone else, there's not a whole lot of extra convenience, some up front extra cost and uncertainty over future upgradability.

(Not that it affects me as it's not available on the Aus store anyway. I'm still running the LR4 trial and hoping that it will be included in the creative cloud before the trial run out, so I don't have to pay for a stand alone LR4 upgrade plus the creative cloud)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points