• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can Photoshop CS6 Standard Import Video

Community Expert ,
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With CS6 standard menu File>Import>Video Frames To Layers is not grayed out but when I try to use is I get this Error Message pop-up

VideoFramesToLayers.jpg

CS5 menu File>Import>Video Frames to Layers works ???

JJMack

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, John, what kind of video is this? is the animation panel showing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2012 May 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PECourtejoie wrote:

Hello, John, what kind of video is this? is the animation panel showing?

Any video. CS6 does not have an animation panel its been replaced with the timeline panel. There would  be nothing in the animation/timeline panel for there is no open document.  CS5 menu File>Import>Video Frames to Layer works and presents a dialog for you to select a video file then it open a document and creates layers in it each a video frame from the video file. Your limited to 500 frames though.  CS6 pop-up the error message never presents the import dialog where you can select a video file to import.

Strang thing Todat I tries again and now CS6 is also working go figure.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess the DynamicLink Media Server must be available today.

That's sounded very knowledgeable, didn't it?  Unfortunately, I have no idea what a DynamicLink Media Server IS.  Sorry, I'm just being a smartass. 

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

Unfortunately, I have no idea what a DynamicLink Media Server IS.  Sorry, I'm just being a smartass. 

-Noel

Well it made me laugh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2012 May 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SmartAss let me tell you this Phooshop CS6 Video Feature is impressive handle my Canon 1D Mk 5 video + audio well.  There are many presets for rendering video the first single process to make my I7 kick up its Fan to high speed use aboyt 70% of all 8 precessors and 6GB of RAM.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 30, 2012 May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So we've been looking into it and have a few suggestions.

Would you please try the following and report back. Thank you!

- Of course a restart of Photoshop, preferably with clean preferences is a good place to start.

- Try to open the movie file in Photoshop with the Open command. If dynamic link manager isn’t working, Photoshop should show the same error manager.

- Try browsing and playing the file in Bridge. Does that work?

- Make sure any parental control applications, such as Net Nanny, have not blocked access to Photoshop's dynamiclinkmanager.exe and dynamiclinkmediaserver.exe files. Add Photoshop as an exception to any such application that you have running. 
- There are some frameworks / libraries Photoshop includes for communicating with DLM. If any of those are missing, that will show this error message. A reinstall would be necessary.

Thanks for  your help and patience,

Meredith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 06, 2012 Jun 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I see restarting Photoshop solved the issue for you.

The DynamicLinkMediaServer process takes 30 seconds to end after the application has quit.

We've run into a timing issue where one app is quitting and DLMS is exiting at the same moment the next application is checking to see if it's running... it gets a positive answer right before DLMS says goodbye.

The solution would be to restart Photoshop if you got into such a situation.

If you run into this again in the future, please comment in here or contact me directly via private message.

Thanks,

Meredith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2013 Jul 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried reinstalling and I've cleared preferences, I've also cheched my virus scanners, and even played the video through Bridge with it working fine but the same error message still pops up. I need this problem to be fixed right away. Please help. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 08, 2013 Jul 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hipsta_Please,

I responded to your private message with instructions to quit all Adobe applications, wait 30 seconds before going to Task Manager and quitting any process with dynamiclink in the name, then restarting the system (overkill), and launching Photoshop.

If these steps do not work for you, please reply with more information.

- What are the steps to what you're trying to do (ex:. 1. Launch PSCS6  2. File > New...   3. File>Import>Video Frames To Layers).

- Please include your OS information.

- Also include info on any other Adobe video-capable application installed (ex: LR4, AfterEffects CS5, Premiere CC, etc)

Thanks,

Meredith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2014 Mar 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I check my Task Manager, those processes do not show up. I checked and I know i have the files, but they do not start when I try to import a video. I have reinstalled Photoshop multiple times and continue to get the same problem. It was working fine before, then randomly began showing this error message

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2013 Jul 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same problem. Before I even select a video, the error pop up comes up. I've re-installed the program, but to no avail. I am using the Photoshop CS6 trial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 10, 2013 Jul 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Whiplashturtle,

Could you please clarify your steps for me? Are you doing the following?

1. Launch PSCS6 
  2. File > New...  or  Open...
  3. File>Import>Video Frames To Layers...
  4. Result: Error dialog "Could not complete the Video Frames to Layers command because the DynamicLinkMediaServer is not available."

What is your OS?

What other Adobe applications do you have running? Installed but not running?

If on Win, in the Processes on Task Manager, do you see any items running with "dynamiclink" in the name?

Did this used to work for you?

Thanks,

Meredith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2013 Aug 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem, and I have a windows 8 laptop, so i don't know if that affects anything?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AStretton3,

Do you have QuickTime installed? It's a system requirement.

I have a few different replies with things to try above. Could you please try some of those (particuarly May 30, 2012 reply) and let me know if they work?

If they don't work and installing QuickTime doesn't work, would you please let me know the exact error message?

Thanks,

Meredith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed QuickTime, and restarted my computer, I've tried the things above, but the message keeps saying, "Could not complete the video frames to layers command because DynamicLink is not available." I've also tried downloading

Dynamic Link Media Server 1.0.1 Update for Windows. Also if I go onto the task manager I don't see anything saying Dynamic link so I can't stop it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2014 Jan 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Meredith,

I'm attempting to File > Import > Video Frames To Layers (or even just File > Open) with a .mp4 video and I don't even get an error message, just the spinning wheel of death. I right-click the CS6 icon in my toolbar and find that the application is not responding (has essentially crashed). Thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2014 Feb 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously, can somebody answer Ladylemon's question? It's been over a month. As someone who has the same immensely frustrating problem, it'd be nice if Adobe wasn't sitting on their collective keister, and was instead working to resolve it. Some of us would like to have the capability to make batch edits to videos, hence our purchasing this buggy ass software.

To pre-empt the questions:

I've attempted both File > Import > Video Frames to Layers and File > Open, and both operations hang just before the import process completes. The size of the video file seems to be irrelevant, as does the filetype. I've restarted Photoshop, giving ample time for the Dynamic Media Server to reset. I've also forced both the Dynamic Link process and the Photoshop application to end. Neither of these resolved the problem. Please inform us how to fix this issue. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you think there is a bug please report that to Adobe on their feedback site.  These forums are for used by users of Adobe products and are not managed by Adobe employees. There are a few rules. Being polite is also a good policy you might even get some help then.

Seriously if you want help you should provide pertinent information rather then stating everything is irelevent.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/guidelines

Supply pertinent information for quicker answers

The more information you supply about your situation, the better equipped other community members will be to answer. Consider including the following in your question:

• Adobe product and version number
  • Operating system and version number
  • The full text of any error message(s)
  • What you were doing when the problem occurred
  • Screenshots of the problem
  • Computer hardware, such as CPU; GPU; amount of RAM; etc.
JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually already submitted a bug report - I came to the forum hoping to find a resolution to this issue, as I knew I wasn't alone in having it. In my dismay at the unresolved problem, I may have let a bit of my frustration seep into my post, so I'm sorry if anyone was offended by my use of the phrase buggy ass software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2014 Feb 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lucifertakesthewheel wrote:

I may have let a bit of my frustration seep into my post, so I'm sorry if anyone was offended by my use of the phrase buggy *** software.

I do not believe anyone is offended by what you wrote. Its just frustrating that you don't provide any pertinent information. I hope you did in the bug report you made.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually felt that I had. I described the process I was attempting when the problem began, my attempts at work arounds, and while I didn't explicitly state it, I thought it was clear that the product I'm using is Photoshop CS6. There is no error message, so there is no text to copy. Taking a screenshot is likewise difficult, as the process itself freezes/crashes. As for my software and hardware, I'm operating Windows 7, and my RAM, CPU, and GPU all exceed the recommended specifications for running CS6.

Essentially, what I'm unclear on is why this particular importation process (importing a video, in any form) fails for some but not for others. It should also be noted that I do not have a problem importing other media. Any photo format works just fine; rather snappily, in fact. Can anyone besides Ladylemon confirm having this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lucifertakesthewheel wrote:

As for my software and hardware, I'm operating Windows 7, and my RAM, CPU, and GPU all exceed the recommended specifications for running CS6.

I believe you still we have no idea as to what hardware you using or display driver you are using.  Many Photoshop related problem often turn out to be problems with display drivers from intel, amd and the likes.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2014 Feb 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, yeah, I would like an answer...

Here's what I can tell you. I'm running OSX version 10.6.8. Hardware info:

hardware.png

Here's what I've already tried:

• Deleted my preferences folder and restarted Photoshop
  • Attempted both File > Import > Video Frames to Layers and File > Open. Both now giving me the same error after many moments of a turning wheel: "Could not complete your request because Dynamic Link is not available."
  • As far as I'm aware I'm not using any "parental controls" software
  • I also have Adobe Bridge, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash. Video isn't opening in Bridge but I think it's an unrelated issue.

I've tried it with .mp4, .mov, .flv, nothing works. What am I missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2014 Feb 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We work on different platforms. I use Windows.  I also do not really do video. However I have done a little. Mostly just trimming *.MOV files my wife records on her Cannon 1D Mk IV DSLR.  These I trim and encode into *.mp4 to reduce the size for the web.  

So I tried some testing for your of what you seem to be having problems with.  Now as I wrote I use windows and my machine is beefier then yours.

I found I could Drag and Drop onto Photoshop or use File Open on just about any video file on my system  .MOV,  AVI, WMV, MPG (Mpeg 1),  MP4 and FLV.   An exception seemed to be some old mpg files which were Mpeg2 I had from work I made years ago. These would not open in CS6. CS6 popped up a messages  Capture.jpgI could play then with Windows Media Player.  

As for  File>Import>Video Frames to Layers.  It seems that CS6 limits you to a maximum of 500  I tries quite a few video file of various types and could import up to 500 frame and even have the import make a frame animation.

It Also looks like If I open a video if I use the video timeline fly-out menu Convert Frames>Flatten Frames to Clips.  I can the delete the video group and be left with Layers. Then  I cane use the video timeline fly-out menu Convert to Frame Animation then  I use the frame animation fly-out menu Make Frames frome Layers.  I did that on CS5 Sample Cheezi-puffs.mov wound up with 1229 layers.  I believe Photoshop has a 8,000 layer limit.

My Machine

Dell Outlet Precision Fixed Workstation T5600, 825W Tower

Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit Operating System DVD

Processor: Intel Xeon Dual Six Core E5-2620 Processor (2.0GHz, 15M, 7.2 GT/s,Turbo)

2GB NVIDIA Quadro 4000, Dual Monitor, 2DP & 1DVI (max resolution 2560x1600 two)

8GB, DDR3 RDIMM Memory, 1600MHz, ECC (4 DIMMS)

PERC H310 RAID Controller

256 GB Solid State Drive

500 GB SATA, 3.5 Inch, 10K Hard Drive

8X DVD +/- RW Optical Drive

English  Keyboard

Dell USB Optical Mouse

Precision T5600: 3 Year Basic Hardware Service with 3 Year

$2,029.00 Dell Outlet       + $180 4TB external USB3 Disk  $316 32GB ECC memory  Total $2,525,00

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines