Skip navigation
wayneg2012
Currently Being Moderated

How create a single path to type on, not compound path from many paths?

May 11, 2012 9:34 PM

Tags: #paths #compound #shape

Hi,

I am a bit new to illustrator, but I am having trouble figuring this one out.

I have some negative space I created(black area, see image) that I want to fill with type, not just a simple fill.

Basically I want to create the negative space from a bunch of small minus signs(-) that need to line up as they go across. If I type on each path one at a time as the text doesn't line up that way. This needs to be one continuous path.

Unfortunately if I add them together, it creates a compound path, which you cannot type on, unless I am mistaken? So I need them to be a path, not a compound object.

Hopefully that made sense, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

negative.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 11, 2012 10:24 PM   in reply to wayneg2012

You should read about the appearance panel which will give you  lot of freedom and expand ypur abilities to do things seem like impossible.

Here is a video o how to do this, keep in mind if you wish to add text or remove text the the black background will expand or contract accordingly, all you have to do is type as long as the type size and font are the same.

You can do it with different fonts as well but you will have to adjust the font size baseline shift etc o make them match but it can be done.

here's the video

http://www.wadezimmerman.com/videos/NegativeType.mov

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 10:55 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

So with a little adjustments you get this you get this…I use a square character from wingdings and made it a smaller size then the other characters then a baseline shift sufficient to line up with the triangle shape opening in the A and then kerne it serverly so it overlapped that triangle shape but you can just place a white filled path over it and group it with the text.

Screen Shot 2012-05-12 at 1.49.53 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Mathias17
    451 posts
    Feb 20, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 11, 2012 11:45 PM   in reply to wayneg2012

What what what . . .

Either I'm not following this very well (it is 1:15a here so cut me some slack heh) or all you need to do fill your paths with a pattern, right? In this case, just fill the implied rectangle "behind" the word "-NEGATIVE.", filled with white, with a hyphen lookin' pattern.

Why bother with Area Type?

-IF-   you're wanting to fill the black areas in your design with little hyphens that never get cropped/covered up and that look like they follow the shapes they're seemingly filling, that's another matter. Unfortunatley, I have to suggest a blockier font than Futura so that the negative spaces within have a more naturally square area to populate. I think it'll work better, Plus, I think just kocking out the word "NEGATEIVE" from a rectangle sufficiently conveys the concept of negative space. . . . but this isn't the design crit subforum.

naygaytivv.PNG

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 3:31 AM   in reply to wayneg2012

Is this what you were looking for? Essentially, every hyphen in the background that is not fully exposed by the white letterforms (or nearly so) is removed ...

Dashed.jpg

Ron

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 3:36 AM   in reply to wayneg2012

Wayne—

It looks like you've solved this method, so I didn't spend any more time on the whole text wrap idea, but I thought you might like to see another approach to the whole negative / positive space thing ... first, in black & white: (click image to enlarge)

Math_BW.jpg

And in color:

Math_RW.jpg

Best regards,

Ron

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers