Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Retain bounding box dimensions after reflecting object

Nov 29, 2008 12:47 PM

Is there any way of retaining the dimensions of a bounding box after reflecting an object. E.g. if I create a rectangle and rotate it 45 degrees the bounding box is flush with the rectangle around its perimeter. However if I reflect the rectangle vertically at 90 degrees the bounding box is no longer flush with the rectangle and so I cannot scale the rectangle without losing its original dimensions.

I've tried the reset bounding box option but it doesn't seem to work very well. Is there any way to reflect an object and retain the bounding box perimeter? Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 29, 2008 2:17 PM   in reply to (Michael_Smitheroos)
    Which version of Illustrator are you using?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2008 8:45 AM   in reply to (Michael_Smitheroos)
    You need to explain the problem in more detail. I don't see what it sounds like you are trying to describe:

Describe each operation you are performing; every click, tool selection, etc.

In Illustrator, dimensions of rotated bounding boxes do not reflect the measures of the rotated box. They uselessly reflect the mere vertical and horizontal bounds of the rotated box (like an invisible bounding box of a visible bounding box). Canvas, for example, handles this correctly, giving the user the choice between absolute and relative measures.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2008 2:09 PM   in reply to (Michael_Smitheroos)
    Michael,

I have never seen anything like that, and it should not be. Your Illy seems to be ill. Maybe it is time for the FAQ #2 cure, if that is enough.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2008 2:30 PM   in reply to (Michael_Smitheroos)
    Are you sure, Jacob, that you've never seen something like that?

I can confirm the behaviour Michael is describing in conjunction with reflecting the rotated objects in all AI versions from AI 9 to AI 14.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2008 5:16 AM   in reply to (Michael_Smitheroos)
    Kurt,

Helping me, Illy always keeps the Bounding Box following the original X and Y directions of (one of) the original object(s), with an X and Y preference whenever applicable.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2008 8:22 AM   in reply to (Michael_Smitheroos)
    Strange. If I use the Reflect Tool (30 deg rotated before 90deg vertical axis reflect) I get the problem, but it returns to normal when applied again.

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 12:31 AM   in reply to (Stephen_Fish)

I know how to rotate bounding box: Vectorboom.com

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)