Skip navigation
Azurestar
Currently Being Moderated

Upgraded PS CS4 in late 2011: new policy change?!

May 10, 2012 6:43 PM

Tags: #upgrade #2011 #cs6 #policy

Hullo.... I'm wondering if anyone else is caught in the same boat I am, and if they've had a resolution to the problem? It concerns upgrading in late 2011. The only other post I found was here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4374091#4374091

In late 2011 Adobe released a statement that users had to upgrade to a CS5 version because CS4 would not be eligible to upgrade to CS6. I did as Adobe suggested (got Photoshop CS5.1) and now I find out that they ARE allowing CS4 users to upgrade to CS6?! I feel cheated and used by Adobe. They want an extra $200 from me because they 'changed ther mind' and extended the policy in to 2012? Not all of us are business class users who can afford to be pushed around like this. It'd be good business if they would address this issue for myself and others in this situation, who were only doing the responsible thing and upgrading like they told us we had to, otherwise we'd have to buy the CS6 version out right. Personally? I am livid.

Calling customer support says that although they sympathize, they can't do anything because it's 6 months or so ago that it was purchased. Do *something*! I did everything I could short of talking to someone 'in charge', because I was told nothing would change even if I could.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 10, 2012 6:48 PM   in reply to Azurestar

There was a long thread on this subject probably Monday and Tuesday.  Might try to find it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 8:03 PM   in reply to Azurestar

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 8:29 PM   in reply to Azurestar

Uh, not for nothing, but Adobe quite selling Photoshop CS4 when Photoshop CS5 shipped in May 2010. So exactly how did you "upgrade to CS4 in late 2011? Where did you buy the CS4 upgrade? Certainly not from Adobe nor from an authorized reseller because resellers quite selling CS4 when CS5 shipped.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 10:17 PM   in reply to Azurestar

Azurestar wrote:

You misunderstood the context of my title... I *had* Cs4, and I upgraded to CS5 in late 2011. The rest of the post would have cleared it up for you

Uh no...I read the rest of your posts and the situation-that you updated from CS4 to CS5/5.5 only because you read a policy change by Adobe –which was adjusted based on user feedback had any impact on you upgrading to CS5/5.5). If you want to complain, it's useful that you are explicate in your complaints...not my fault I didn't understand you thread title was screwed up...(read it yourself and tell me I'm wrong).

If you waited till the fall of 2011 before upgrading to CS5/5.5, you should have known that CS6 was coming out in late Spring, 2012 (Adobe made that clear last year even if they changed their mid regarding how far back the CS6 upgrade would apply to).

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 1:43 AM   in reply to Azurestar

I understood the subject as was meant by the OP, but I can see that it could be interpreted differently. 

The real problem however is that many customers feel that they have not been treated fairly because of a change in Adobe update policy.  I sympathize with these customers, but realistically, this happens all the time with all sorts of companies, not just with Adobe.  Anyone who ever bought something at a "great price" only to find the item reduced further a few weeks later knows the feeling.  Expecting a company to "do the ethical thing" is unrealistic.  Companies will do what they think brings in the most $$.  Sometimes they weigh immediate profit against customer satisfaction and customer satisfaction loses.  That is reality.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 11, 2012 8:47 AM   in reply to Azurestar

I know that if I were goaded into upgrading by the quite explicit wording by that Adobe Senior VP that "you will need to be on the lastest version" to qualify for the opportunity to upgrade (and which STILL exists on the Adobe web site last I checked), I'd be miffed too.

Sure, you got 6 months of use of Photoshop CS5 but I don't think that's sufficient compensation for misleading marketing.

The key here is that most folks, without putting in a good bit more effort, would not know that the release date of Photoshop CS6 would be fairly predictable.  In fact, there was even a date in the VP's announcement, but it was not a deadline for upgrading.

Thus someone could be forgiven for thinking "I'd better upgrade right away so that if they release Photoshop tomorrow I won't have to spend an additional $500".

I think it crossed the line from "aggressive" to "misleading" myself.

You did the right thing by calling them, though I might have done one thing differently:  I'd have escalated it and talked peoples' ears off until such time as they either provided relief or I was sure I had exacted at least $200 in support costs from them.

Sadly, I think the exact wording of the announcement was such that Adobe's lawyers could argue that you weren't time-pressured to upgrade, and because of that you are unlikely to get compensation.  They would say you have gotten value from Photoshop CS5 in the interim.

A philosophy to live by:

When pressured to buy, take that as a red flag and specifically AVOID buying.

The decision is yours and yours alone - and anyone pressuring you to buy is doing so because they're not providing sufficient value to make it advantageous for you to buy.  Think about it:  If you "miss" an opportunity to buy, there is virtually always another "sale" that comes along later.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 9:57 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Azurestar, there is something else that's really going to cheese you off. There is a security flaw in CS5 which Adobe have announced they are NOT going to fix. They say that you have two options - either upgrade to CS6 or be careful. This just shows that Adobe are more interested in their revenue than their customers.

See http://m.zdnet.co.uk/news/business-of-it/2012/05/11/adobe-move-promote s-piracy-40155211/

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 1:22 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:
    Think about it:  If you "miss" an opportunity to buy, there is virtually always another "sale" that comes along later.

I wonder how many CS3 and  CS4 users are going to miss the CS6 upgrade window deadline (31 Dec 2012) then realize in Jan 2013 that they must pay full price for CS6 (or join the Cloud).

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 11, 2012 4:31 PM   in reply to John Waller

A CS3 user did not buy CS4 or CS5.  After 2013 they will end up paying the same overall price to have CS6 as someone who upgraded every time. 

Presumably because they waited they have invested the money they didn't spend for Photoshop upgrades and increased it's value to the point where it buys them Photoshop CS6.

We all make choices based on value.  I choose to actively reject anyone claiming I have to buy something now or miss out.  There's always something good right around the corner.  Life will be pretty dull if all the good choices are already behind us!

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 12:31 AM   in reply to Azurestar

Azurestar wrote:

Like many other people, I did my research before committing to upgrade. ...

Situation A:

Late 2011: You need a flavor of Photoshop CS5 to upgrade to CS6! Here's a 20% discount.

Situation B:

Early 2012: We're going to let Photoshop CS3 and CS4 users upgrade to CS6! You have till the end of the new year, and it's all going to be one set price no matter the version.

Agree that situation A amounts to lying to customers, when seen in retrospect and that Adobe should reimburse those customers.

Agree with Noel about not letting oneself be pressured into buying. 

In addition to Situation A and Situation B there is

Situation C: customers who upgraded to CS5 (or 5.5 for some applications) after March 26  get a free upgrade to CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 12:45 AM   in reply to Azurestar

Azurestar wrote:

Now, as it is I'm very tempted to just sit on my hands and wait till CS10 or something comes out, paying for a new product instead of upgrading with each new version. At least Adobe wouldn't be taking yet more money from me after pulling an unacceptable stunt like this.

If the Creative Cloud is as successful as Adobe hopes it will be, you may not have an option buy CS10 outright and may have to "pay as you go".

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 1:20 AM   in reply to Azurestar

Azurestar wrote:

Don't scare me! I don't see any benefits of Creative Cloud so I really hope not! At least, not any benefits for a user like myself. xD

You'll probably have to get used to it sooner or later.

"Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen said the company’s new Creative Cloud effort—a software as a service subscription model for its Creative Suite 6—will ultimately be the preferred delivery for both the company and customers."

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/adobe-ceo-creative-cloud-will-be-preferr ed-way-of-distribution/76473

Although there's no official policy yet, I'm convinced that the perpetual licensed software model is approaching its end-of-life phase in Adobe's eyes.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 2:37 AM   in reply to John Waller

I hope you're wrong, John.  "Preferred" does not necessarily mean only.

John Waller wrote:

"Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen said the company’s new Creative Cloud effort—a software as a service subscription model for its Creative Suite 6—will ultimately be the preferred delivery for both the company and customers."

Incidentally, during Shantanu Narayen's five year tenure, the value of Adobe stock has lost roughly one fourth of its value.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 4:08 AM   in reply to station_one

station_one wrote:

Incidentally, during Shantanu Narayen's five year tenure, the value of Adobe stock has lost roughly one fourth of its value.

I am not sure how relevant that is - the stock market is notoriously fickle and is not necessarily a mirror of company revenue.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 12, 2012 7:28 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

Funny thing:  I upgrade to every latest release, right when it comes out.

But I will resist "pay by the month" software subscriptions for as long as I can.

One day I could end up disabled, or retired, or whatever and want to minimize my monthly payments.  I don't think I'm willing to have all my software just stop working right at that moment.

Plus the pay by the month plan always seems a good bit more expensive in the long run than the perpetual license.

What's REALLY scary is all they have to do is to be more ruthless about stopping support of activation of old software and they will force people into even more things.  Scenario:  You buy a new computer.  You deactivate Photoshop CS5 from your old one, install the image (you did back it up to DVD, right?), and go to activate it.  It goes bzzzt - fail.  You call Adobe and they just say "we no longer support activation of Photoshop CS5".  What do you do?

They have us by the short hairs.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 9:30 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

[..]

You buy a new computer.  You deactivate Photoshop CS5 from your old one, install the image (you did back it up to DVD, right?), and go to activate it.  It goes bzzzt - fail.  You call Adobe and they just say "we no longer support activation of Photoshop CS5".  What do you do?

[..]

Well, I can imagine a surge in demand for cracked versions of  CS5 as one scenario...

As one of those who have fallen foul of the situation laid out by the OP, I suppose I will have to [a] cough up for the CS6 upgrade or [b] carry on with my (nearly) new CS5.5 model. Option [a] is even more unattractive for me, as I am one of Adobe's "lucky" UK users who have to pay rather more for our photoshop pleasures than some...

Bitter and twisted? Not me Guv...

Anthony.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points