Skip navigation
anat_usa
Currently Being Moderated

Gtx 680 in CS5.5 and in CS6.0

May 10, 2012 6:51 PM

Hello guys!

I d like to ask if gtx 680 are supported at all by any of CS5.5 or CS6.0? would 680 be better then 580 concidering it has more cudas and pci e3, but only 256bit?

Also does CS6.0 supports now 2 gpu ? cards like 590 for example or simple sli? its just i read that with cs6 u can use 2 cards quadro and tesla for the max performance.....

thanks in advance!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 10, 2012 7:12 PM   in reply to anat_usa

The GTX 680 works fantastic for me in CS5.5 and CS6.  It has to be added to the cuda_supported_cards.txt file in Premiere  You can use two cards in any version of Premiere but only one card can be used for MPE support, but the cards can not be used in SLI, but now that the GTX680 can supprt up to 4 monitor, there is no good reason in Premiere to have two cards

Yes you can use a Quadro and a Tesla card in what nVidia calls "Maximus" mode.  This is beneficial for other applications like After Effects if you can afford the C 2075 at $2200!  Google for "nVidia Maximus" if you are interested

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 11:40 PM   in reply to anat_usa

I have a gtx680 card and with production premium suite 5.5 has no problems at all.

In my system (I7 980x, boot disk corsair 240 gb force gt, raid 0 xx600 gb velociraptor) the performance is similar to my " old" gtx 580, i Think that cudas are cudas but 1536 is not equal at 3x512 if we compare both cards.Maybe the clock and bus difference are rilevant.

With cs 6 Bill expain very well with premiere pro ( i have minor problem but I 'am trying a trial version). With After effects all is working except the new cuda 3d engine. I'm waiting that adobe supports new cards to upgrade my suite. Now you can hack After effects also, but no support for gtx 680 at this moment.

as a note I have e pci express 2.0 bus system, but I don't know if this is very important for performance.

My advice is:

if you have to built a new system and you need more than two monitors linked, gtx 680 is you choice, if not you could buy a 560 Ti

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 6:53 AM   in reply to anat_usa

Your mobo does not support PCIe-3.0 so it will not show any benefit from that interface. It is unlikely that you will see any noticeable performance gain between a GTX 560 Ti and a GTX 680 on that platform. Working with AVCHD material both with CS5.03 and with CS5.52 will show a significant performance degradation with CS5.52 on exporting to MPEG2-DVD, due to changed caching algorithms. This has been solved in CS6.

AVCHD is much more demanding than HDV, so the three steps back is to be expected. The difference between an easy codec and a difficult codec. Also see Adobe Forums: System requirements for CS5

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 6:59 AM   in reply to Fabio Pis

Fabio,

Like Harm stated, your mobo does not support PCI-e 3.0. In addition, three times the number of CUDA cores equals three times the GPU performance only if the effective IPCs between the two GPUs being compared are equal and all of the other parameters (such as memory and bus throughput and latency) are proportionately higher on the 1536-core GPU versus a given 512-core GPU. Unfortunately, the GTX 680 is faster - but nowhere near that much faster - than the GTX 580 in large part due to the fact that the total VRAM bandwidth of the two GPUs are almost equal to one another.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 9:20 AM   in reply to RjL190365

Hello RjL190365,

I specified that my system is Pciex 2.0, but I'm not so sure that 2.0 bandwith is saturated with our softwares but, maybe I am in fault!

I push my system to its limits and I am very satisfied for performance and stability, for me, next step will be an 8 core cpu (not xeon ) if and when it will be available.

I have some doubt that in this period, Adobe and overall Nvidia try to push  "professional" card like quadro (maximus system is a proof for me) against less expensive Gpu like geforce series.

It's only my opinion but I see more performance boost in other software that I use for my job like 3dsmax and gpu rendering than my GTX 580 previous gpu. Why? (no need of an answer! )

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 9:39 AM   in reply to RjL190365

Anyone that expected a three times improvement going to the GTX 680 must not be living in the real technical world!  Here are test results on 4 different GPU's on my own private benchmark on MPEG2-DVD and H.264.(the most GPU dependent scores).

GPU-Gain.jpg

There are finite changes that can be gained because of other limiting factors Since, for instance, I do not have a PCIe 3.0 motherboard--yet. .  So is it worthwhile upgrading from the two middle boards probably not, but if you are doing a lot of encoding and time is precious to you, you and you alone, will have to decide.  This is why back in 2005 I decided Premiere needed an application specific benchmark--hence PPBM was borne.  Thanks to Harm's great business background (and technical knowledge) these efforts have now grown and we now have in PPBM5 860 results for you to analyze and guide your computer system design

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 1:58 AM   in reply to anat_usa

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 1:54 PM   in reply to anat_usa

maybe 1 more thing - fan filters ...... somehting that will stop the dust and dirt to come inside my pc box, but in same time will not create a problem for the air to come inside pc box!

See #9. Discussed there.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points