• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using dual monitors. Can't move Adobe CS6 frame to right monitor.

Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2012 May 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way, when using dual monitors, to move the whole CS6 frame to either monitor? Right now it's just cemented to my left monitor, and I want it on the right.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , May 18, 2012 May 18, 2012

Well, after some frustration and poking around I finally figured it out fellas.

In the Illustrator Menu Bar, click "Window" and then "Application Frame". It seems that option unchecked will leave the application "fixed" to your primary monitor. Checking it will place the application in a "free-form" window that you're free to move around.

Thank goodness!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

strange, Are the application frame for other Adobe and Non-Adobe Product are moving onto the second monitor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same issue with older Adobe products too. I'm just setting up CS6 now and want to get this resolved if it's possible. I can move the work window and palettes around - and to the other monitor - but the base frame always stays on the left monitor. It's just clumbsy if I'm working with an Illustrator project window on the right but have to got to use some controls on the frame on the left monitor. And I don't like having to move my palettes and tool bar ot the right monitor everytime I launch.

I can't think of another program where the frame is independent of the work windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your OS, And also are you using any software to manage your Dual monitor?

Try changing your primary monitor and then try and move.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2012 May 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the CS6 Master Collection last night and just now getting around to using it today. My system consists of a MacBook Pro with OS X Lion 10.7.4 and an Apple Cinema Display. I have the laptop set as the primary display on the left. I am having the same issue at the moment (with Illustrator). I can also say that while I was using the CS5.5 Master Collection previously I had this issue also with Dreamweaver. I didn't bother to dig into a solution as I knew I would be switching to CS6.

I have started Dreamweaver and Photoshop and not having the issue. I am able to move each of those freely to the Cinema Display on the right. If find it strange that I had the issue with Dreamweaver CS5.5, but now not with CS6.

In regards to Manish_1988's question, I am not using any software to manage multiple monitors. I would prefer to maintain the current setup if possible, and will make a concession as a last resort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, after some frustration and poking around I finally figured it out fellas.

In the Illustrator Menu Bar, click "Window" and then "Application Frame". It seems that option unchecked will leave the application "fixed" to your primary monitor. Checking it will place the application in a "free-form" window that you're free to move around.

Thank goodness!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PERFECT. Thanks much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2015 Nov 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank's

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2016 Mar 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, easy but very useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2019 Mar 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The application frame being on defeats the purpose of using a Mac for Adobe software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2014 Jul 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU.  This was driving me crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 09, 2014 Oct 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOU MADE MY DAY!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2014 Oct 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG you saved my nerves and years of my live! Thank you very much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2014 Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2015 Mar 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have checked "Application Frame" but I still can't get the Illustrator menu to move to the proper monitor. It's very aggravating.

All the parts of Illustrator are where I want them, except the menus which stubbornly cling to the laptop monitor.

Help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can move just the menu bar in system preferences - in system preferences / displays / arrangement - click on the little menu bar in the displays graphic (in the preferences window) and drag it to the monitor where you want it to appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2016 Feb 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ding ding ding! That did the trick, thank you sir.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I use my laptop monitor as my secondary and it was driving me crazy that everything was automatically going there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2018 Jul 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this option ( system preferences / display ) worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG THANK YOU!!!
This was driving me buggy. My iMac blew out the logic board and I had to go get my first laptop. It's only 13" and way too small to see for graphics. I was about to snatch myself bald out of frustration! Lifesaver!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2015 Oct 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this exact issue. I can't get the menu bar to move to the other screen but everything else moves over. and I know I can go to system preferences and change the arrangement of the screens by dragging the menu bar to the correct location but that locks my mouse to only that screen and will not let me use dual monitors, yet another issue. I can only use both screens if the arrangement in that tab is a certain way. I am so frustrated. please let me know if you resolved this. Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2015 Apr 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally! Thank you! I had this problem before and found lots of other overly-complicated solutions on forums that did not work for me. You're da bomb. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2015 Jun 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok....  I'm on windows...  I don't have an application frame option....  any ideas???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2015 Jun 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok - best i can do in windows is to set the second screen as the main screen (go to desktop / right click screen resolution / select secondary screen /tick make this my main display).

If anyone has any ideas about how to do this through the illustrator interface then please feel free to share!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

me too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines