Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom 4 and Creative Cloud

May 12, 2012 10:54 AM

I have a subscription to Creative Cloud and 20 days left on my Lightroom 4 trial. If the trial period expires before Lightroom is added to Creative Cloud, do I have to purchase it?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 12, 2012 11:03 AM   in reply to markallison

LR4 is not a part of the Creative Cloud subscription.

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/buying-guide.html

Yes, you will have to purchase LR separately to continue using the product after the trial period.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 11:45 AM   in reply to markallison

If you do purchase Lightroom and find out soon after that it becomes available as part of Creative Cloud, you can get a refund. (Our standard return policy is 30 days.)

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 2:10 PM   in reply to Carey Burgess

Here's the thing... I have a purchased copy of LR3... I am currently using the trial of LR4.  I'm not going to spend money on the LR4 upgrade if I'm already spending money on the cloud, especially if I know I'll get LR4 eventually.  Getting a refund does not help at all... it's a gamble.. maybe it will come out in 30 days maybe not.   Adobe needs to either allow cloud customers to continue to run on the LR4 trial until the software is available in the cloud or they need to profide a definitive date as to when they will release it to the cloud. 

I am really impressed with the new LR4 and will be sad if I have to go back to LR3 for an extended period of time. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 2:28 PM   in reply to LSpeak

LSpeak wrote:

Adobe needs to either allow cloud customers to continue to run on the LR4 trial until the software is available in the cloud or they need to profide a definitive date as to when they will release it to the cloud.

Agreed.

This "will-they-won't-they-include-it-let's-buy-it-now-and-hope-for-a-refu nd-later" nonsense is odd from Adobe.

LR4 is a currently shipping product.

Make it available in the Cloud now and stop the smoke and mirrors.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 4:06 AM   in reply to LSpeak

I agree with the other posters.  It seems ridiculous that LR4 would be a paid app for Creative Cloud subscribers, seeing as it's coming to the cloud later this year.  I can understand that 'cloud-enabled' features may require a future update, but at least allow users to download/install/run the standalone app.

Charging CC subscribers during the gap will only serve to build resentment and frustration among users.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 5:07 AM   in reply to Trilo Byte

LR is not included in the  cloud as of now.

It will come in the future. So as of now you have to purchase, But those who are waiting may get LR 4 in cloud itself in the future

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 6:13 AM   in reply to Baljeet Juneja

I have the same problem.

Mr Burgess, how about clear answers?

Like we send you a temporary key or adobe extends the refund policy in this case.

Everything else is a bit of a waste of time...

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 11:00 PM   in reply to ChristophvS

What about buying LR4 and getting the 29.99 / month promo for current owners?

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 11:28 PM   in reply to Trevor Patrick

@ Trevor

Actualy Adobe is very biblicaly inspired:

They send Evangelists through the world to tell us that they can save our creative work.

And they act like the master who pays the same amount to his worker regardless the fact they began to work early in the morning or only a few minutes bevor paytime.

Meant: I bought my first pagemaker in 1992, i let you guess how many updates I boot to be granted the promo. By the why in Europe it's $30 but $45.

And I guess that if that monney had been spent for programmers and designers instead of lawyers and managers the products would just be incredibily good.

@ All

The point is not if lightroom shall or shouldn't be available in the cloud, it wasn't included in the suites until now.

The point is that if I have to buy it now, and it is added to the cloud in 6 months I feel definitely like what is so well expressed by following quotation of ZDNet contribution:

This is immoral behaviour. It is cynical behaviour. It is the behaviour of a company that knows it has an effective monopoly and isn't afraid to use dangerous flaws in its own products to extort yet more cash from its captive audience.  ZDNet

In this case it isn't about flaws and bugs but still the same point.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 7:04 AM   in reply to ChristophvS

There's nothing immoral about keeping Lr back for a few weeks while they integrate it into Creative Cloud. At least they told you they were going to add it eventually (I had word from Jeff Veen, Adobe's Senior Product guy for Creative Cloud it'd be "a few weeks") rather than letting you buy it and it just shows up in the list. I'm actually pretty sure they wanted it in there from the start, but something slipped somewhere.

I'm guessing adding Lightroom to Creative Cloud is actually made MORE difficult due to the fact that the LR4 upgrade was released prior to CS6/CC. I'd assume that the LR licensing system is being retrofitted with the CC licensing and the install process is being integrated into the Adobe Installer process that the rest of CS6 uses. Lightroom has always been kind of an odd duck (it was the first Adobe app I can remember that had cross-platform licensing and it has never used the same install process as the rest of Adobe's apps). While CS5, 5.5 and 6 all use "Adobe Installer," Lightroom 4 is a standard Mac OS X package (on the Mac, I don't use Windows). It's going to take a while to integrate LR into the Creative Cloud. CS6 got the benefit of being developed and released alongside of Creative Cloud.

I'm sorry Adobe isn't giving you a drop-dead date, but they're actually being smart with that. If they told you June 1 and you made decisions based on that and that slipped (even a few days) you all'd be back in here moaning about how they missed their deadline and every news outlet in the world would give them guff about it. If they use nebulous language like "a few weeks" then you're (and I share this) a bit frustrated now, but it gives them a little flexibility in case things slip a bit.

I'm hardly an Adobe apologist (I think they've been a pretty abusive monopoly for a while now), but there are valid software development reasons that LR might not make it in on day 1. I also think Adobe deserves kudos for putting out a reasonably-priced subscription model and the new CS6 apps are awesome. I'm cautiously optimistic that they've turned the corner back to a company that I can get behind again.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 8:02 AM   in reply to jbregar

Perhaps it's not immoral in this case (the quotation talks about dangerous flaws). It is still cynical and perhaps lake of internal communication also. It is still behaviour that you only can use if the audience is captive. And that is a real challenge for the IT world. Because a good software is written for long times and doesn't break like plates or cars. One among a lot of reason that monopoles are so easily built in the IT business.

And there be plenty of ways to solve the problem. There were some beta version that worked with time-limited licence key. Why not send them to cloud subscribers until LR is cloud ready?

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 9:47 PM   in reply to Carey Burgess

Any updates on this? I'm in the exact situation. I have 20 days left on my LR4 trial. I really like it, but I'm hesitant to purchase it if it won't be available in 30 days or less (so I would be eligble for the refund). Can you at least give us that? Will it be available within 30 days?

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 10:05 PM   in reply to jacobgoodlin

Jacob, you actually have 50 days worth of time there. Let your trial run out (20 days) then if you feel the need, purchase it (another 30 days).

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 10:21 PM   in reply to jbregar

@ jbregar

I don't understand: you are not an apologist, you say. But you think we should buy in the hope that LR will be in the cloud in less then 50 days.

And find it normal! I don't! why should I do it on a hunch.

Again, I don't need to know when it is in the cloud, just if there is a transition as both products are available now and nobody has to judge apriori if I need them now or not.

Thats not a soft-dev reason but a question of transparency in marketing.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 10:34 PM   in reply to ChristophvS

I'm not telling you to buy anything. I was just pointing out that Jacob actually has a total of 50 days if you add up his remaining trial time and the 30 day return policy.

Would I buy on the hope that Lr will be added to CC in 30 days? I dunno. I'd probably just continue to use whatever it was I was using PRIOR to subscribing the CC. It's not like Lr3 or whatever you were using before you downloaded Lr4 as a trial blows up when Lr4 is released. I know it's really really powerful to want the new hotness, but you can either take the risk of buying with the intention of returning or just cool your jets and wait for Adobe to add it to CC for you.

Lr is not part of Creative Cloud right now. I've already outlined why Adobe might not want to make a firm committment to anyone on when it will be added (and that most certainly IS a software development AND marketing concern). I've also outlined why it might not be available day one (Lr has little in common with the rest of the Creative Suite in two major areas--licensing and installation--that DIRECTLY impact Creative Cloud).

I guarantee that if Adobe came in here tomorrow, said "it will be available in CC on June 1" and then it slipped to June 15 (because of a software development issue or whatever) you'd be all over their butts about slipping their date.

If giving Adobe (and Jeff Veen, a guy I've spoken with personally on a handful of occasions and consider a completely straight shooter) the benefit of the doubt means I'm an apologist, I guess I'm guilty as charged. On the other hand, maybe I just don't see the point of caterwauling over this. It's not like Adobe's tricking you into subscribing to CC knowing Lr isn't available yet... it's clearly on the CC web page that Lightroom is "Coming Soon".

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 11:09 PM   in reply to jbregar

@jbregar true. I was using Aperture prior to switching to Lr4. Really like how Lr4 renders images vs. Aperture.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 5:15 PM   in reply to jacobgoodlin

Oh I agree. Lightroom 4 is superior to the newest version of Aperture in most every way I can think of. The books interface needs some work, but Apple's really kind of dumbed down Aperture.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 10:27 PM   in reply to ChristophvS

@ ChristophvS What will you say in a couple weeks when it's on the cloud? 

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 7:44 AM   in reply to Trevor Patrick

Why? thanks of course and well done (technicaly).

But I still think that there would have been means to avoid this waste of space and time. A time limited Serial number (has it has been done) for example.

But if it is more than a couple of weeks the whole thing will become realy relevant for me in about 20 days, when my trial version will be outdated.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 10:35 PM   in reply to ChristophvS

@Adobe: Any updates on this? I'm in the exact situation. I have 7 days left on my LR4 trial?

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 12:30 PM   in reply to joerg.ch

Same here... I called Customer service and they told me that if I buy the full version of LR4, they won't refund it once it's passed 30 days. What should I do?

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 3:38 PM   in reply to amensi

Here is a question.  Can I sign up for the Creative Cloud, then download the demo of Lightroom and use it until it shows up in the cloud?  I know it will expire after 30 days but lets say I just let it expire, I assume if I have CC that I can just re-download and continue to use it.  I have Aperture and want to change over, I figure I can get started and may have to wait if it expires to then get it in Creative Cloud

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 9:15 AM   in reply to browndog77

If I understand this correctly - If you use the RC2 version available from Adobe Labs, which essentially is a beta version, this is good thru June 30 I beliieve. A trial copy of the 'real version' then gives another 30 days, this takes us to the end of July, which by then hopefully a proper version of LR4.1 may be out.

I know if you already have a trial on your computer you would not have the extra 30 days but the end of June is still not bad technically for nothing. by which time again 4.1 may have been released. There is certainly no way they would want to put LR4 on the cloud as it stands with all the problems it would appear to be giving people, or would we want to put on ourselves!

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 2:31 PM   in reply to Gerry A White

So any librarys I create can be transfered over to the cloud version when and if it comes out.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 3:11 PM   in reply to browndog77

The cloud version is no different than the standalone version, it is installed on the computer as any normal program. It does not run from the cloud.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 4:55 PM   in reply to Gerry A White

Yes, I realize that.  I just wanted to make sure I can migrate any work I did over to the final copy.  Sounds like I can

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 11:16 PM   in reply to markallison

@everyone. I installed LR4.1 today and it started my trial over! Woohoo for 30 more days. Hopefully, Adobe will add it to the cloud by then.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 11:38 PM   in reply to jacobgoodlin

Did you update? Or download fresh??

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 2:24 PM   in reply to LSpeak

My trial for Lightroom 4 is now over... Any words about the release LR for Creative Cloud?... LR is a very important product for me.

Adobe should give us at least +30 day licence till the creative cloud version is ready...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 3:42 PM   in reply to tri-cool

This is turning out to be the longest 2 weeks ever..LOL

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 10:27 AM   in reply to browndog77

Great News! Lightroom 4 is now available as part of the Creative Cloud membership! Learn more from Jeff Veen on the product team blog: http://adobe.ly/Lr4CCM

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 1:26 PM   in reply to Ryan Barrans

Thank you Adobe. Just in time, I had 14 more days of my trial. Appreciate your team working on getting it to the Cloud!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 4:19 PM   in reply to Don-San Diego

I have Windows XP .. Can I have Lr3 instead ? :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 1:08 PM   in reply to mrbugjacobs

Many thanks

Installation even worked on the first try.

And luckily we worked out, that with RC version and trial version of 4.1 we could avoid the paiement.

But real thanks to have integrate it.

As it never was in the Suite until now, I could have understand that it would remain a complement.

Im glad its over.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points