Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Add the ability to scale the canvas beyond it's archaic 227 inch limits.

May 12, 2012 2:13 PM

Make working with large format designs at 1:1 possible. In other words add a size function for the canvas to be scaled beyond 227 inches. Of course this would allow scaling the artboards beyond that size as well. Not sure if there woudl be implications to allowing it to be unlimited. Us large format print and design companies are annoyed at this daily. Vehicle template packages are at 1/20th scale. Finish the design for the 54 foot trailer and ready to print, scale 2000%. Nope sorry, cant do that. Export the file and open it in some other vector app for the final scaling then export from that to the RIP.

Was really hoping to see this in CS6. Sadly not happening.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 12, 2012 3:04 PM   in reply to MixManSC1

Hi MaxManSC1

Do you think it´s necessary, in a vector software, to create a project bigger than 227 inches?

If you create a project using a smaller size and this size is proportional to the final big size..then when printing you can reach thos big size you want. For example, in the Illustrator Print Dialog Box...you can set custom media size up to 25000 inches..fit the artwork to page and print directly or print to PDF.

But you can even leave this adjustment to the printer RIP so it can handle according it´s output specifications. Since the project is vector based you wont lose quality when increasing the size.

Does it suit your need?

Best Regards

Gustavo.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 11:25 PM   in reply to MixManSC1

Are you using Illustrator for floor plans? I tried drawing a few once but the line and shape tools didn't refresh the background when scrolling which makes using Illustrator really annoying. Illustrator CS6 still has the same problem as in CS3, CS4 and CS5. When I heard they remade everything I was looking forward to using the line and shape tools again but nothing has changed yet. Please fix Illustrator CS6 Adobe.

http://a4jp.com/design/3443.html

Glen

PS The pen tool doesn't have this problem but only the control points scroll the screen (*The refresh works here though).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 10:53 AM   in reply to MixManSC1

I'm having the same problem. i have no intention to print, i just want to make a 1:1 scale floor plan of my office so we can easily design. I could just scale it down and convert feet to inches, but that's a lot of unnecessary math! I find it strange that i cant just have 1 inch equal 1 inch. how do interior designers work? do they use a different program? i decided just to open Cinema 4D and work from there since it allows me what ever size i want.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 3:34 AM   in reply to Inquell

Perhaps the "answers" lie in a need to be able to use a "scale the drawing" tool?

Perhaps the real limitation is math needed for ability to zoom-in deeper?  (I don't think so)

And of course if one mixes in any pixel/bitmap features, artboard size makes more sense as pixels don't resize well to a larger image like vectors; so scaling with pixels involved may create problems?  (They can be addressed)

I'm not trying to explain away why Adobe does not do any of the requests in this thread....because it can all be done in this day/age of higher performing CPU's and GPU's and HDDs and GB's of RAM and screen resolution. We are no longer in the days of DOS and 1980's....and the coding is not very difficult either now.

Most request "can" be done, it is whether Adobe thinks it is needed for their customers...who are asking for it here. C'mon Adobe listen and do....please.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2014 2:50 PM   in reply to MixManSC1

+1. Yes we need to lift this silly limitation. We use AI for US and we currently we hit the limits at ~60 screens, which is nothing for a CRM software. Add on top of that variations of the same screen.

Scaling doesn't work. We need rules, units and the pixel grid to act normaly, not to mention Align to Pixel...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2014 2:52 PM   in reply to Gustavo Del Vechio

That won't work for web design.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers