Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can I open Proto files in Dreamweaver?

Nov 14, 2011 10:08 AM

Can I export a file from Proto to Dreamweaver?

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Takashi Morifusa
    87 posts
    Nov 12, 2008
    Nov 16, 2011 8:28 PM   in reply to David-Herman

After uploading Proto Project onto Creative Cloud, you can access creative Cloud <https://creative.adobe.com> from your desktop/laptop Mac/PC where you have Dreamweaver or any HTML editor. Login to Creative Cloud and download the project files. It's just zipped project. You can unzip with any client software and here you go. You can edit html, CSS and make it high fidelity prototype.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 5, 2012 1:28 PM   in reply to Takashi Morifusa

Is it possible to get the files to Dreamweaver from Proto without going through the Cloud?  Or is there a free version of the cloud that will allow this?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to bunkerkiing

Hi bunkerkiing,

Yes-- you can use the Adobe Creative Cloud right now for free, all you need is an Adobe ID, for signing in. The Creative Cloud is in beta, but the creative file transfer, sharing, and storing capabilities can all be used for free. You can sign in (or sign up) here:

Adobe Creative Cloud Beta

Let us know how it's working for you. Thanks for posting!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2012 8:19 PM   in reply to Kim Isola

In the interest of full disclosure: you can't open Proto files in DW with Andriod 4.0 ICS tablets. I wonder if Adobe will have the same problem when the iPad 3 come out or will it be better prepared.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 12:13 PM   in reply to David-Herman

While it's advertised, you sure can't. I created a Proto file on my iPad. It synced to the Creative Cloud. I then downloaded that file. Dreamweaver cannot recognize it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 12:39 PM   in reply to Takashi Morifusa

Information you provided is misleading. The new Creative Cloud system doesn't give option to download zipped version of the proto project. There's just the .pro file and otherwise brilliant app which cost me 8 euro is useless! I based my purchase only on your reply as an Adobe Employee.

Please instruct me how to use .pro file or fox the Cloud so it offers the .zip folution or at least some pdf.

I have purchased CS3 at a high cost for a small company and it serves me well and I have no intention to upgrade and I want to be able to use Proto app that I purchased.

|
    Mark as:
  • Takashi Morifusa
    87 posts
    Nov 12, 2008
    May 11, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to Wojciech Lewandowski

We are developping extension for Dreamweaver right now. That's let you open .pro file format in Dreamweaver. Stay tuned.

Thanks,

Takashi

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 5:29 PM   in reply to Takashi Morifusa

Thank you for the reply. Do you mean a backward compatibile version too? As I mentioned I own CS3 license.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 6:45 PM   in reply to Takashi Morifusa

It would have been nice for you to specify that Dreamweaver integration was currently "under development" in the description on the App Store instead including that functionality as part of what it already does in the description. While I think the app will be useful once that integration is actually available, I probably wouldn't have paid for the app if I knew it was still being finalized.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 6:19 AM   in reply to Takashi Morifusa

Quote from the app store:

"• Sync your wireframe to Adobe Creative Cloud to easily access for further refinement using Adobe® Dreamweaver® CS6."

Not "will sync sometime in the future. Stay tuned!"

Not good, Takashi...

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 6:29 AM   in reply to wwoodard123

Here's one way to make it work. Get stuffit expander, run stuffit, drag .pro file to stuffit icon, open "renditions" folder, unzip "html.zip", open "index.html" with dreamweaver.

Not exactly intuitive...

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 10:36 AM   in reply to Takashi Morifusa

Takashi Morifusa wrote:

After uploading Proto Project onto Creative Cloud, you can access creative Cloud <https://creative.adobe.com> from your desktop/laptop Mac/PC where you have Dreamweaver or any HTML editor. Login to Creative Cloud and download the project files. It's just zipped project. You can unzip with any client software and here you go. You can edit html, CSS and make it high fidelity prototype.

Hi.

I'm just wondering how exactly to download the zip file of a Proto project from creative cloud.. All i can download is the original .pro file which is useless to me.. could you please let me know how to download the zip?

kind regards.

fran

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    May 12, 2012 11:48 AM   in reply to wwoodard123

This method posted by wwoodard123 worked for me. I was able to get the "index.html" opened in Dreamweaver, using your instructions.

Let's hope the upcoming extension will allow the file to open directly in Dreamweaver. I also share Wojciech Lewandowski 's concern that the plug-in may only work with CS6 and may not be backwards compatible, even if only back to my version of CS5.5. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 3:09 PM   in reply to wwoodard123

Chris I feel your pain. I went through similar problems with Android 4.0. I

was and still very disappointed with Adobe. It will have to work hard to

regain my confidence.... U think they r listening... Nah....

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 12:27 PM   in reply to Marc Niola

I did some testing based on feedback here. I currently see slightly different behavior between the Android and iPad(iOS) versions. Either works, the iOS process requires a few more steps.

For Android:

If you upload the project from within the app to the Adobe Creative Cloud it creates a .zip version of your project. This can then be downloaded and unzipped on a computer. To access the files on the computer you need to open the Creative Cloud website within a browser and download the file. The Adobe Creative Cloud address is https://creative.adobe.com/ . After you download the .zip file and unzip its contents, it contains the actual html and css files which can be opened within Dreamweaver.

For iOS:

The process is very similar to what is described for Android however, the file extension on iOS is .pro. The .pro file contains some additional files but still contains a compressed copy of the project which can be opened in Dreamweaver. When you download the .pro file you will still need to uncompress it with some kind of .zip type utiliity (like Stuffit Expander). The .pro file once unzipped contains a renditions folder, within that folder is a html.zip file which is the project itself (needs to be unzipped as well).

It does work on either Window or Mac with either the Android or iOS version. You need to transfer the file through the Adobe Creative Cloud, but like mentioned previously, you can just set up an account for free.

Hope that helps,

-Dave

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 4:48 PM   in reply to David__B

THE ABOVE SOLUTION SHOULD BE POSTED IN CLEAR BOLD LETTERS on the app store, Adobe Proto home page and anywhere else Adobe misslead consumers! shame on you.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 4:50 PM   in reply to studiomigo

I second that..... Bravo!

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 9:42 PM   in reply to David__B

Thanks, David.  Looking forward to the .pro DW extension.

A couple of addtitional tips for OS X users -

After you download the .pro file:

Copy it into its own project folder

Rename it to YourProjectName.zip

You can then unzip it in Finder

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 2:39 PM   in reply to tolistim

Just to give you more feedback to go on.  I have an Asus Transfomer Prime with ICS.  I made a test page with every element, uploaded it to the cloud, downloaded the ZIP, and opened the index.html in Dreamweaver.  I'm using Windows 7 and CS5 as well.

Everything seemed to come out OK, but there are a few issues.  When a DIV box is used, it doesn't come out as it was on the program.  The video player also does not work in the browser.  The video sample plays fine from the folder though.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 2:16 PM   in reply to Takashi Morifusa

Any delivery date set on this objective yet?

I really like the proto tool, but it's usefulness in regards to getting it over to DW, almost make it useless in my case.

- Side note, the ability to send a wireframe page as an image from within the app would be GREATLY appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
  • Takashi Morifusa
    87 posts
    Nov 12, 2008
    Jun 15, 2012 3:18 PM   in reply to RoyalT

Adobe Proto Extension for Dreamweaver is now avaiable!

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/protoextension/

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points