Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Forum New Look May 6

May 6, 2012 1:50 PM

Several discussion threads in the Forum comments area... including one to report issues

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 6, 2012 6:37 PM   in reply to John T Smith

Please give feedback on the thread that John pointed to. We need for people to be vocal and candid with how they feel about these changes. It's the only way that the folks in charge of the forums can know what needs to be fixed.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 8:28 AM   in reply to John T Smith

When the conversion to the new layout happened, a lot of things got whacked. I'll try to restore or reconstruct that pod.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 5:44 PM   in reply to John T Smith

it is impossible to make everyone happy

Yeah but at the moment, it seems like they're not making anyone happy with the change.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 8:59 PM   in reply to John T Smith

John T.,

I am unhappy, and have several major problems with the "new & improved" look, but will reserve comments. There might be some positives, that I have just not found yet. Right now, I give it two thumbs down.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 9:19 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I am unhappy that one does not know ...who one is responding to in the new format.

It makes for a weird thread ....when it should be like a "face to face" conversation..

I am o.k with the clean look.

How will Jim ever know that I am having a go at him...again? 

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 10:27 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

> Right now, I give it two thumbs down.

I'm with you.

Please, keep up the pressure with detailed feedback on the forum where the relevant folks are paying attention:

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 6:37 AM   in reply to John T Smith

There is a link to the Encore forum and some others there, on the main list.

John T Smith wrote:

Hmm... the "other links" box is gone from the main page, so the only way to get to the Encore forum is from a product forum, not the main page like it was before

My personal preference would be to have that links box restored to the main page

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 7:09 AM   in reply to shooternz

Craig,

This is one aspect that Adobe-Admin. is working to correct, along with a few other little "glitches." Not sure when/if this will come back.

I do like the white background for Adobe Employees, and Community Experts, but would like to see some more differentiation, say shades of gray, or maybe light gray & light blue, for eaiser reading.

Todd has indicated that he will try to "recover" a bit of the layout of the previous iteration, such as Related Sub-forums to the right, and that will be an improvement.

I do hope that this is a "work in progress," as it is not as useful a layout, as what we had before, though it is claimed that the new code greatly reduces the overhead, and hence a faster response. I do not really see that, but then probably have a bottleneck with my WirelessG connection - probably get the best performance, that I can, until I install the WirelessN router.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 9:56 AM   in reply to John T Smith

I will not say that I am UN-happy.

I would. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 11:46 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

i have a new dick tracy wrist watch phone that is " smart " ...is connected to internet and even has some OS in it to run apps and watch movies etc.

the screen is really small ...being a wrist watch...but thats no problem if I put it close to my face.

this new layout looks good on my dick tracy phone, loads fast, and I dont have to scroll all over creation to find stufff anymore.

plus i can easily access my facebook twitter and other social network sites easily...

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    May 10, 2012 5:18 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

(In response to: Jim Simon)

I will not say that I am UN-happy.

I would. 

Ditto, twice!

I would comment on the 'Forums Forum', but my opinion has been dismissed in an

earlier discussion because my username was considered something less than legitimate.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 3:28 PM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

============

my username was considered something less than legitimate.

==========

its important to not take things "personally" re: internet communications especially. I have also suffered from being slandered and insulted due to my " user name " , simply because someone didnt like robotic dogs wagging their tails in the forum (  or snakes slithering etc ... which is a tangent )

Focus on what you can offer help on.... and don't take things personally is my suggestion.

After all.... Joe Bloe isnt exactly like Joe Blow.  And when you say the word " Blow " and " Joe " etc.. it doesn't necessarily mean that you are talking about " Blow Joes " or " Blow Jobs " etc... it could be any number of language inflections and semantic connections in the minds of those you talk to.

For example, I once went to a bar on the lower east side in the alphabet area ( years ago ).. and said something to the bartender that she didnt like so much... forget why exactly, but had something to do with what I wanted to drink opposed to what she had on tap.

When she finished yelling at me I said something like, " Well, I guess a ******** is out of the question ? "

So then she got REALLY mad at me... and it took a while to calm everyone down and get me my drink etc.... ( had to enlist the help of the regulars etc to calm her down ).

stuff happens, Joe, you just have to learn to love your neighbors etc.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 9:05 AM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

my opinion has been dismissed in an

earlier discussion because my username was considered something less than legitimate.

Joe,

That is so bogus, but then we know you as the valued contributor, that you are. Some folk just do not know what they are missing.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    May 11, 2012 12:49 PM   in reply to able123

(In Response to: able123)

Too funny!

I had an eerily similar experience in a little corner bar on a visit to D.C.

Tha major difference is that my exit line was considerably less elegant than yours.

Unfortunately my visit didn't end with a drink in my hand, but with my feet

on the sidewalk...  no regulars to come to my defense I guess.

As for hurt feelings... nah.

When there's an Alpha Personality involved, I just head to the next bar down the street.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    May 11, 2012 12:49 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

(In Response to: Bill Hunt)

Thanks for the endorsement.

I probably just rubbed someone the wrong way.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 11:28 AM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

(In Response to Joe, as the "New & Improved" forum layout does not yet show these things... )

In very general terms, there are some good folk, who hang out and contribute to the Forum Comments forum, but then there are a few "bouncers," or "hall monitors," and they can be rather a pain, from time to time. I hang out there, as I guess that I like to *****, and am very opinionated, so it suits my purposes. Also, John C (Adobe-Admin) is usually very quick to answer questions, with his unique "under the hood look" at the forums, so I always learn something. Some of the rest? Well, I just ignore them, which is easy, when one comes to "know the players."

Sorry for your bad experience, and while not unheard of, is not really the norm there. Still, you know that you are welcome here - like the old Gary Portnoy song from Cheers, "Where everybody knows your name... " Think of me as Norm, Jim Simon as Cliff and maybe you can be Sam?

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 11:33 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Think of me as Norm, Jim Simon as Cliff and maybe you can be Sam?

I want to be Carla.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 11:34 AM   in reply to John T Smith

John T,

Though the Forum Comments forum is probably the best place for this, I have now lived with the new layout, and the skins, off-and-on for over a week. I do not like it!!!!!

• I miss having the "In Response To"
    • I miss having the Post Number
    • I miss having a poster's history shown
    • I miss having a Last Post button, and especially with a multi-page thread
    • I miss having the links to related forums on the right
    • I miss having the background of posts alternating
    • I miss being able to go to the "other" Discussions button, to stay on the page, where I was, with multi-page threads

I will admit that I am a status quo person, but have seen nothing to convince me that giving up the above, has improved anything - anything at all. As mentioned elsewhere, I am usually using Wireless G, so maybe the great speed increases that others claim, are lost in that bottleneck, but pages load about the same speed, as "normal" days with the old forum. While all navigation was not perfect then, it is a kludge now, at least for me.

Hunt - just color me dissatisfied.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 11:35 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

(In Response to Todd)

OK, you got it!

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 11:38 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Most of the items on your list are coming back. I think that the target for the update is in a couple of weeks. I'm pushing for sooner.

As an administrator, I can fix one or two of those items myself, as soon as I have the time. (I've already undone a lot of the damage, on the first day after the "re-skin".)

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Think of me as Norm, Jim Simon as Cliff and maybe you can be Sam?

I want to be Carla.

Given my occasional lack of patience with noobs, I'm surprised Bill didn't suggest that feisty, ill-tempered (yet loveable) hothead for me.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    May 12, 2012 4:22 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

(In Response to: Bill Hunt)

• I miss having the "In Response To"
    • I miss having the Post Number
    • I miss having a poster's history shown
    • I miss having a Last Post button, and especially with a multi-page thread
    • I miss having the links to related forums on the right
    • I miss having the background of posts alternating
    • I miss being able to go to the "other" Discussions button, to stay on the page, where I was, with multi-page threads

I wholeheartedly agree with all of these points with the addition of having

the OP's posts tinted differently from all of the others... used to be powder blue I think.

edit:

Also, there used to be a 'clickable' link in the header of each post

that would generate a url specific to that post within a long thread.

This was useful for directing someone to the one relevant post.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 4:36 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

(In Response to Todd)

Todd,

That is music to my tired old ears. John C. (Adobe-Admin) indicated that some might be back, so there IS still hope.

Thanks for all that you do,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 4:43 PM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

The constant tinkering with the Adobe User forums has resulted in this less than ideal mess of a Forum.

The tinkerers seem to be set on some 'FEATURE CREEP' agenda that benefits the back stage of the forum process. eg datamining, data sharing, data gathering.

None of that serves the users one iota.

The latest forum format seems to be written and designed by those that have no idea how a "real conversation" works in "real life".  Thay probably have only ever communicated electronically ...txt, tweet, email, blog etc.  In fact they probably never have had face to face communication experiences.

Of the forums I participate in...the Adobe forums went from the best forum experience  to the worst.

Sack the jive coach!

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 5:02 PM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

(In Response to Joe)

Joe,

I did not recall that one, but maybe just never found it.

I discovered that if I was viewing a thread, and was down several replies, the URL at the top of my browser would take one to about the view that I had.

I do agree on the background designator for the OP, and liked the alternating backgrounds.

Now, I do like having the Adobe Employees and Professionals with white (or some other designator), as not all Adobe Employees had their "Employee" badge with their avatar, and it does help knowing with whom you are talking.

Just some more random thoughts,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 5:40 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

(An Addition to Bill's list)

It also galls me that if I navigate to a sub-forum, and have not been there for a few minutes, I get a "collapsed" view, and have to click on a thread, to get the full display.

Next, as we do not have (or maybe "yet have," as Todd struggles along) the Related Sub-forums box, to get to some, like Premiere Elements, I have to go to History, find a Reply to something in that forum, or go to the main Adobe Forums page, navigate to Premiere Elements, and then rinse and repeat.

Nah, guess that the new skins are just not my thing.

Sorry to be a "party pooper" (can I say that here?), but I find more to hate, or at least moan about, than to like.

Will try to refrain from more vitriol, until Todd and John C, have had an opportunity to "make it all better."

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 6:34 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

shooternz,

Please, please, please give that candid feedback where the forum folks are looking:

I need them to see how this is affecting real users, especially the generous and helpful folks like you who want to help others but feel thwarted in doing so by these bad forum "design" decisions.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 6:51 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Well I would do that Todd except here is another example of the busted forum format.

I can not  copy and paste anything in these forums anymore. (Would mean a re type of my rant)

Attempts to copy and paste create screen "doo doos" and a browser freeze.

(Will try a different copy paste workflow)

BTW - love how I can tick all my own posts as helpful.  Helps me get stuff off my chest and inflates my own personal opinion about myself as a "helpful person"

EDIT : to copy and paste in the forum..I can copy paste to notepad / wordpad then copy from there to a post. Works but clunky.

Message was edited by: shooternz

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 7:44 PM   in reply to shooternz

wow...

up to now i was sorta just going along with this stuff like its some experiment for tiny screens on smart phones etc...

but my firefox browser rendition of this forum just went crazy... changed totally ....yikes...

its almost like this forum has been taken over by that computer HAL ....or something similar....

( CAN WE HAVE OUR OLD FORUM BACK ? )

( I'M SORRY DAVE, I CANT DO THAT )

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 7:47 PM   in reply to able123

IS UGLY !!!

UGLY copy.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 9:31 PM   in reply to able123

I click "YES this was helpful" on everything Rod.

I am politely thanked ...which is really nice... but who gives a fats rats "donkey" if I think its helpful.

How are ya anyway Rod?

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 8:51 AM   in reply to shooternz

@ shooternz

I copied/pasted this part of your post with no problem, so I wonder if anyone else is having that issue.

"Well I would do that Todd except here is another example of the busted forum format.

I can not  copy and paste anything in these forums anymore. (Would mean a re type of my rant)"

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 9:04 AM   in reply to Jerry Klaimon

I copied/pasted this part of your post with no problem, so I wonder if anyone else is having that issue.

I just copied and pasted that easily using firefox on pc...

ALSO.... when I sign in to forum it looks WAY different than when I am NOT signed in...colors and font quality changes...gets better.

very weird...

=========

Craig, hiya ! Doing OK... am moving to MN from NY tomorrow I think...have to finish packing today and see if I can hit the road tomorrow.

Will stop to see the " World's Largest Ball of Twine " on my way to MN !

Rod

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 9:43 AM   in reply to able123

"Rod, I am afraid that I cannot do that... I am so afraid... Rod, don't pull those memory cards... Daisy, Daisy... " [Spoken in the voice of Douglas Rain]

Yes, there IS an Alien Intelligence at work here - not quite what I had expected with the implementation of "AI."

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 9:46 AM   in reply to Jerry Klaimon

Yes, the old Copy/Paste still works for me on Chrome. See above.

Now, the background comes in too, but that started happening before the skins - about 3 - 6 mos. ago, and I do not recall any maintenance from about that point - it just started bringing in the background colors.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 9:57 AM   in reply to able123

Rod,

Good luck and safe driving with your move. Guess that we need to meet up at a MN restaurant now, as Restaurant Daniel will be a bit of a treck for you.

BTW - don't hold out much hope to be inspired by that "ball o' twine." It's kind of like "Balanced Rock" in Arkansas - hardly worth the price of admission. We followed the signs to that "point of interest," and ended up at a cabin in the woods. I swear that the scene that we encountered was right out of Deliverance - front porch, and characters included. We paid, and walked the path, that was pointed out. I began feeling a bit like John Voight. There WAS a "balanced rock," but it was about 3' high...

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points