Skip navigation
Peter Culley
Currently Being Moderated

Yes, another computer build but with a specific purpose.

May 12, 2012 4:48 PM

Firstly, I thankyou if you have even opened this thread. Forgive me if my question seems innane!

I am planning a new computer build for the following purpose

• PS CS6 - working files at 2GB plus
  • Premiere CS6*

*My video work is very specific. Projects are atypically less than 5 mins in duration and often 30sec TVC type spots.

Source material is AVCHD, PNG and in near future uncompressed files from the Blackmagic Cinema Camera (10bit)

Final output is to be broadcast HD quality at top end and many at web level via YouTube.

I try to be 'tidy' in my editing and keep track numbers to 4 (if that makes any difference?)

I am not the most tech savvy guy by a long shot, compared to Bill and Harm I'd be luck to rate .2 on the richter scale.

My thoughts thus far are this:

• Full tower
  • 3690 proc
  • 64GB of ram
  • MOBO? Not sure if to wait for 'Blunderbolt'
  • ****Numerous HDD's as required
  • GTX680
  • Win 7 64

****So the question I know will roll your eyes! Mother look away now... This may get ugly!

Given the short durations and 10bit source, can I avoid RAID? I know enough that a few layers of 10bit must be a huge amount of data (back to no other way than raid) but wondering how it compares to different intensive compressed codecs such as AVCHD? Should I put on my tin foil hat and hide?

I would really appreciate your thoughts.

Regards,

Peter Lloyd Culley.

http://www.nitromediasyndicate.com

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 12, 2012 5:52 PM   in reply to Peter Culley

I do not know enough to answer your question regarding RAID. However, I did notice that you wanted to get an i7-3960 CPU. I may not be a guru but from my experience with the i7-3930 and what I have read since those processors came out, there is not enough of a difference between the two chips to make up for the price difference. I'll even risk to say that you'd be paying an extra $500 just for bragging rights. The i7-3930 is just as good, just clocked a bit lower and has 3 megs less L3 cache. Once you overclock the 3930, it basically performs just as well as its much more expensive brother.

Save money on your CPU and put it somewhere else where it will make more of a difference to your system.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 6:08 PM   in reply to Peter Culley

Uncompressed HD source data absolutely requires RAID big time, unless you have the money to have a hugh SSD drive system.  The Blackmagic camera requires on the fastest SSD drives so you would have to have all your media on these drives or hard disk drives RAIDed.  You might have to have each layer on a seperate SSD

Also with your high resolution you probably need a 4GB GPU such as those just announced

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 11:04 PM   in reply to Peter Culley

If you go with the 3930K, another absolute must is to use the latest BIOS.  For both Asus and Gigabyte this was released at the beginning of April, and is numbered 10 in the series.  Earlier BIOS versions have problems with memory compatibility, and resulting system freezes and poor performance.

Some people say that you can achieve stability only with 1.35V memory, but my system never misses a beat with Corsair XMS3.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points