Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Interface Weirdness

May 13, 2012 4:09 PM

Tags: #photoshop #cs6 #toolbar

Why is the interface for Photoshop CS6 different than every other Adobe app? I've installed 7 apps from Creative Cloud now and only Photoshop's interface is different than others. The context sensitive toolbar, in fact, ALL toolbars are contained within the document window. I want the old context toolbar back - the way it is in Illustrator and Fireworks and every other Adobe program.

Why did they change that and how can I change it back?

I can drag the toolbar out of  the window area, but then it becomes this extra floating panel bar. It is annoying.

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 13, 2012 4:56 PM   in reply to chirp88

From everything I can see, Photoshop CS6 operates the same as Photoshop CS5, other than the color being configurable.  And no, all toolbars are not captive within the main Photoshop window or document windows.

By "context sensitive toolbar", are you speaking of the options area, near the top of the Photoshop main window?  Yes, the options bar is detachable...  I've have always just left it up there, myself, but I just tested both Photoshop CS5 and CS6, and it seems to operate just the same way in both.

Can you be more specific about what you're perceiving that's different?  Maybe put up some screen grabs? The way I use it, Photoshop operates very much the same as its predecessor, but perhaps you're trying to use it a different way. 

Not having the other Creative Cloud apps, I can't speak to what's different between apps.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 13, 2012 5:34 PM   in reply to chirp88

Sounds like you want to turn off the app frame (Windows style single window).

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 13, 2012 5:53 PM   in reply to chirp88

The option is good to have.  Why not just turn it off and be happy?  Do you not understand that you can do so?

In the menus, choose Window - Application Frame.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 13, 2012 6:01 PM   in reply to chirp88

I don't have a Mac myself, but I understand that option has been around a while, at least in Photoshop CS5, but I thought I remembered it in CS4 as well.  Might have been in a different place back then.  You might look for it in the Help file.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 13, 2012 7:36 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

From what I have seen the Application Frame in CS6 is now the defalut mode, never was before so catches users off guard.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,851 posts
    May 24, 2010
    May 13, 2012 8:35 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt Y wrote:

From what I have seen the Application Frame in CS6 is now the defalut mode, never was before so catches users off guard.

It has to be one of the most often asked questions since the beta was released.    A good one for an FAQ, ir anyone ever read them.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points