Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash 'Unexpected File Format' Save corruption

Sep 6, 2011 11:19 PM

Hello.

We recently upgraded to Windows 7 64Bit from Windows XP here at work, and since the upgrade i've discovered a very scary issue with Flash.

When going to save one of my large projects, often Adobe simply crashes outright, freezing up and displaying a standard error message.

"Adobe Flash CS5 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." - with an option for "Close program"

I hit close program, and Flash disappears. If I try and open that same FLA file again, I get the error message

"Unexpected File Format"

Unfortunately it seems since Flash is crashing in the middle of saving, it is corrupting my FLA file. This is extremely worrying, since it corrupts my entire source file.

I'm lucky I keep regular backups, otherwise I could have lost months of work instead of just todays. In the meantime I have been copying and pasting a new version of the file each time I open Flash, but it's a crapshoot whether next time I save if it will kill it or not.  

Here's the details of my computer:

OS: Windows 7 - Recently upgraded from 32bit Windows XP

64 Bit Intel Xeon X5560 @ 2.80 Ghz

4GB Ram

The Flash CS5 version is 11.0.0.485

The FLA in question is 10MB, and contains some large map files (gifs), lots of small JPG's as well as a fair chunk of code as well as importing of external classes. I've tried replicating the issue on smaller files, and haven't been able to do so.

I was wondering if it was a case of not enough memory, but Flash appears to use around 450 mbs. About 40% of my total memory is free, according to the Task Manager performance.

Any ideas what could fix this issue?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 10, 2013 4:02 AM   in reply to Isometric Bacon

Hi ,

I have noticed that you are using Flash version 11.0.0.485 . There is an update version  of Flash CS5 which has fixed similar issue .

Can you please update your Flash  .

To update Flash : Goto Help - Updates .

updates Flash CS5  Version  11.0.2.489.

Thanks

Sukhbir

Flash Authoring

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2011 5:21 AM   in reply to Isometric Bacon

Hi,

I have the exact same problem!

We also upgraded from Windows XP (with Flash cs4) to Windows 7 64bit with Flash CS5.

Flash just sometimes saves a .fla file that is corrupted when I try to open it later. Offcourse we have daily backups, but I allready had a great deal of losses from files that I created in the morning and became corrupted in the afternoon. Flash gives me the error: "Unexpected File Format".

I upgraded to the 11.0.2.489-version of Flash CS5, but unfortunately the problem remains.

I even downloaded the trial-version of Flash CS5.5, hoping the problem had dissapeared, but today even CS5.5 saved a corrupt file.

The files are on a network-drive (company policy), but the problem is sometimes there when I try to save it locally (although it seems I get this problem more often when I save to a network). I also noticed that the corrupt file is slightly smaller than the original file.

I hope someone at Adobe can provide a fix for this, because I'm getting very nervous about this (and so is my client).

Kind regards,

Sander

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 4:02 AM   in reply to s.bosch

Hi ,

If possible please save your files in Local drive  .

Thanks

Sukhbir

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2011 12:03 AM   in reply to Isometric Bacon

Hi Sukhbir,

I just sent you my 2 files, one working and one corrupted .

Files are a bit big (about 4MB in total), so I hope the e-mail is delivered to you correctly.

Hopefully Adobe is able to find the cause of this problem.

I would like to point out that it could have something to do with window 7 or something.

I had a trialversion of both cs5 and cs5.5 on my windows XP computer, and although I saved files to a networkdrive all the time, the problem never occured.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks!

Sander

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2011 10:20 AM   in reply to s.bosch

Hi  Sander,

Thanks !!! I got your files . Please save your files on a Local drive

Here is a Tech note on saving the files over Network .

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/d9bbd9d4.html

Thanks

Sukhbir

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2011 10:23 AM   in reply to Isometric Bacon

Hi .

Thanks for all the information .  Please save your files on a local drive .

Is your Network stable ? Do you get network glitches sometime while saving your file over Network ?

Here is a Tech note on saving the files over Network .

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/d9bbd9d4.html

Thanks

Sukhbir

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2011 8:08 AM   in reply to Isometric Bacon

I am also experiencing a similar issue.  I am using Flash CS5.5 and Flash continuously crashes while I am working.  However, the file I am working with just crashed and is not unable to open due to an "Unexpected File Format". 

My computer's operating system:

Windows 7, 64-bit operating system

The Flash file I am working with is 9.10 MB and I am working on my local computer, not a network drive.

I have not lost a lot of my work due to continually saving my files....but the prospect of continuing to create with Adobe Flash under these conditions is not conducive for time management.

I was also using Flash CS5 and had similar problems and decided to purchase Flash CS5.5.  I should not be experienceing these issues with the latest software available.

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2011 12:05 PM   in reply to Isometric Bacon

I'm going to lose it on this peice of garbage software.  This just happened to me. I've lost so much work just now. The file if saved while running your file can cause the devil of all bugs. I can't beleive I paid to work my butt off for this software only to on a routine basis do work arounds for a stressful hunk of trash software that works sometimes.

Fix your gd software. This is BY FAR the worst issue I have EVER in my life encountered. EVER!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2011 2:11 PM   in reply to ScottBrowne123

This is not exactly a fix, but at least I can recover lost work

I figured it out on my own, over and above the techs at abobe who said I was SOL.

Venture into this folder C:\Users\Owner(your user name)\AppData\Local\Adobe\Flash CS5\en_US\Configuration

There is a flash file in there, it has a previous saved file called TMPblah blah blah click and open then resave.

This at least worked for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2011 1:27 AM   in reply to Isometric Bacon

Hello Sukhi12,

I just read your reply and I can't believe that Adobe is taking a stand like this!

Are you seriously (no really, SERIOUSLY?!?) telling us that Flash is not designed to save files over a network?!?!?

I am really upset by the fact that Flash is such a badly designed product and I'm even more upset by the fact that appearently Adobe doesn't give a ***** about it!

Are you aware that in the modern world EVERY company has a policy to save files over a network? For most developers it's not a choice of saving locally, it's just not an option. We are forced to use networkdrives, and if I may say so, I totally agree we should! Come on Adobe, this is 2011 you know! And saying in your technote (from 2009!) that we just have to use a third-party version control system is totally rediculous!

A few things that I like to say about this matter:

1) I have been using Flash for about 10 years now. I have been using a network drive most of this time and I never (really, never!) experienced corrupt files while saving. Even with flash 5 there was no problem at all! So something changed with Flash CS5 and Flash CS5.5 and Adobe is too lazy to admit it. Very bad....

2) Why is it that software like Photoshop is able to save over a network without any problems? Why is a PSD-file so much different from a FLA-file? Surely Adobe must have people on the payroll that are perfectly able to code software that can save over a network? Photoshop proves it's possible, doesn't it?

3) I told you in the beginning of this forumpost that I'm saving my files over a network. Why didn't you show us the technote at that point? Why did you ask me to send you sourcefiles first? Is there some boss that told you to get rid of those nasty questions, or something?

4) I'm really surprised that the technote says that Flash IDE is not "designed" to function across LANs. Why is this not mentioned on the Flash Product Page where you want us to pay $699 for this product? I would really like to know this as a new customer! Something in the features like: "Beware, unlike other software, Flash Professional is NOT ABLE to save your files across LANs. If you try to save, flash will most definately corrupt your files beyond repair".

5) As you can see, I am really upset about this and especially about the attitude Adobe is displaying about this. I'm am surely going to twitter this to everyone I know and start a good amount of posts in the Flash Community about this.You really can't do this, Adobe.

You might not suspect this, but I am actually a big fan of Flash, as I suspect most of you are. I like to think that I support Flash despite the fact that Apple is pissing all over it lately. I defend it to people by saying it's a wonderfull product that does wonderfull things. I am very dissapointed that Adobe is letting us down like this.

Please answer these question for us. I'm sure the Flashcommunity is dying to know what's going on here!

And also, please ask your developers to fix this annoying problem. I'm sure it's not impossible....

Regards,

Sander

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2011 3:22 PM   in reply to s.bosch

Hi All,

Today we have released Flash CS5.5 update . This update contains fixes for opening and saving some Flash Professional files (FLAs) in CS5.5, and other bug fixes.

Please download Flash CS5.5 updater .

You Can download from  Flash > Help > Updates .

Thanks
    Sukhbir

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2011 1:35 AM   in reply to Sukhi12

Hi Sukhbir,

Thanks for providing an update.

One thing is not clear to me: is the problem now solved? Or are you guys at Adobe 'hoping' this will fix the problem.

And I totally agree with Isomatric Bacon: can you tell us if there is going to be an update for Flash CS5? I for one have a trial-version of CS5.5 which expires in 2 weeks. I think many people (like me) can't convince our IT-department that the entire company should update to Flash CS5.5 bacause of this issue.

Please answer this question.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2011 12:41 PM   in reply to Isometric Bacon

We're have a small media team (~12 at any given time) all on Win7 64-bit/ Adobe CS5.5 Flash Professional 11.5.1.349 (completely updated OS and Adobe products.) that are having the same issues as Isometric Bacon, et al are reporting with saving, crashing and corruptions while working over network files shares.

I'm aware of the don't work over network file shares Adobe tech note but we have been successfully working like this for over ten years!

So what changed?  Our server.  We went from an acient underpowered single NIC server running 2003 to a dual-homed firebreathing monster running 2008-R2 and DFS.

I'd be interested to know if other folks are using DFS server shares.  Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2011 1:35 PM   in reply to lonbordin

Hi ,

Can you please provide me what kind of problems you are having while saving a file over a network .

Do you see any  error message when you are saving your file ?  or do you have any issue opening your fla files.

Thanks

Sukhbir

Flash Authoring

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2011 1:42 PM   in reply to s.bosch

Hi s.bosch,

This update contains fixes for opening and saving some Flash Professional files (FLAs) in CS5.5, and other bug fixes.

and  with this if there is any issue while saving a file ,user will be prompted to save a file again.

Thanks

Sukhbir

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 4:03 AM   in reply to Sukhi12

User attempts to save... Flash crashes... files corrupted.

I've sent you a corrupted files as per the instructions* you posted earlier in the thread.

I've also sent the error logs.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2011 9:52 AM   in reply to Isometric Bacon

I've updated the Flash CS 5.5 to the last version and the problem still happens.

Use the files locally and then save to network it's not a good working flow, I believe...

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 1:33 PM   in reply to tsoares05

Hi,

Can you please provide me some more details?

1. About your computer
    • Full file version of Flash installed (eg. 11.5.0.325)
    • OS and version
    • Installed antivirus/antimalware (eg. MS Security Essentials, Norton Antivirus, McAfee VirusScan)
    • About the location where .fla file is being saved
    • To a local drive? (eg. hard drive, SSD drive, USB key, SD card, opened as email attachment, opened from a zip archive, etc)
    • or over a network? (eg. shared Windows folder across Active Directory network, SMB share between OSX machines, symbolic link/junction points to path)  If so, do they have full file permissions to write to that folder?

2  Any version source control? (eg. CVS, Subversion, Git, etc)

• File history. eg. originally created in CS4, saved in CS5 and re-saved in CS5.5

3 How to reproduce the corruption/crash.  Is it reproducible from a new document?

Thanks

Sukhbir

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2011 12:28 PM   in reply to lonbordin

I've sent two corrupted files to you and the flash bugs address.  Look forward to your response.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2011 12:59 PM   in reply to lonbordin

Thank you I have recieved your files . 

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 11:33 AM   in reply to Sukhi12

I have exectly the same issue.

1.  about my computer...

• flash CS5.5 (v11.5.1.349)
    • Windows 7 SP1, 64 bit
    • Symantec Endpoint Protection
    • Fla file is located in a file server via LAN

2. There is no source control.

• Try to save CS5.5 to CS5.5 (overwrite, and/or save as) crashes the file, and cannot open it again.

3. Constantly happening once it is happened. Need to restart my computer to get by 2-3 hours.

I think Adobe's "don't work via network" is NOT a very good answers to most of us.

I need to work on server most of the case.

Please let us know what to do to fix this issue.

Thanks,

-Sang

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2011 5:09 PM   in reply to Sukhi12

Honestly, this is beyond ridiculous.

Please Adobe, this issue should be at the very top of 'things to fix'.

It is soon to be the year 2012. This issue has started ever since cs5. It is NOT ACCEPTABLE to not be able to work off network drives. It has cost us many many hours of lost work, and having to copy files locally then back onto the network every time we want to make a change is cumbersome and a waste of time.

What are you guys doing over there?????

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 6:23 AM   in reply to sizzleblob

3 months later And still no fix!

I lose a file about once a month.  We DO use VSS working copies are loaded onto local machines, and uploaded back to the server through VSS but we still get 'unexpected file format' errors on a regular basis.  I thought it was from using Flash CS5 files in CS5.5, this may add to the problem but is not the whole issue.  I think it has something to do with Flash and RAM.  I get crashes primarily when I copy and paste Frames/ Layers/ Movie Clips.  These crashes corrput files and wallah, 'unexpected file format'.

What's most bothersome is Adobe not admitting fault or coming up with a solution.  I've been a daily user of Flash for over 10 years and there's never been a problem until CS5/ 5.5.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 7:41 AM   in reply to Isometric Bacon

This is really amazing...

I'm also having the same problem, since I bought Flash CS5.

Sorry but is Flash CS 5 still in beta or what?

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 2:11 AM   in reply to FredFranco

Hi I have exactly the same issue in CS6. I did a fresh install from CS5 - the problem also happened in CS5 previously.

Saving flash files to network drives -> flash either crashes, or appears to save OK, but when you re-open the file it says "unexpected files format".

the file server is very reliable - not a loss of connection or anything like that.

Win7 ultimate 64

I7 950

6GB ram

Adobe premium CS6

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 2:51 AM   in reply to Isometric Bacon

If you are running Windows, rename the file from something.fla to something.zip

Download this program http://www.diskinternals.com/zip-repair/ and repair the zip file.

Then rename recovered-something.zip to recovered-something.fla and it should now open.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 9:36 AM   in reply to Soulshoes

Thanks but that doesn't work - the root XML file in there is always totally corrupted.

I have a CS6 crash mdmp file for this crash (not hard to find as it keeps happening to me) - can I send this to Adobe perhaps?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 1:40 PM   in reply to Isometric Bacon

I seem to be having this issue also, can anyone tell me if this has been fixed? I am using CS5 (updating it as I type this) on a Win 7 64-bit system, we use McAfee, and normally save locally but this was saved over the network.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 8:42 AM   in reply to Sukhi12

Hi there Sukhi12,

I've sent you my corrupted file as well... we're experiencing the same problem.

Maybe there's something to do With SMB2.0??? Does anyone look at this particular detail??

I'll try to disable SMB 2 on my file server.

If anyone have a update on this, please, share with us!

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 4:29 AM   in reply to gmagella

Hello,

Please read the following blog post for a solution to the Unexpected File Format Error:

http://blogs.adobe.com/flashpro/2012/07/24/unexpected-file-format-erro r-on-opening-flash-files-using-flash-cs5-5/

Regards,

Suhas Yogin

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 1:16 PM   in reply to Suhas Yogin

I am also having this issue with .fla files, but with Flash CS6. I use Ctrl+S to save it and it doesn't always happen, but when it does (usually after adding/changing actions in the project), it crashes, corrupts the file, and then I get the Unexpected File Format error when trying to re-open the file.

It saves to a network share. I find that if I save it to a local directory on my computer, it doesn't happen as often. There are no network connectivity issues with the share, it is stable and quick, the share is located on a server on the same LAN as me. I tried the zip repair and winrar fixes, but neither worked. This has already costed me hours of work.

The link that Suhas provided: http://blogs.adobe.com/flashpro/2012/07/24/unexpected-file-format-erro r-on-opening-flash-files-using-flash-cs5-5/, does not work either since that update is for CS5.5 and I have CS6.

I have Windows 7 32 bit Enterprise SP1.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 10:25 PM   in reply to Gock14

Hi ,

Are you using the Windows 2008 server DFS file sharing system ?

You can share the corrupted file with us. We will try to fix the issue if possible and send the recovered file.

Thanks and regards,

Sudeshna Sarkar

Adobe Flash Professional Team.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 6:45 AM   in reply to sudeshna sarkar

Sudeshna, we are saving to a Windows 2008 R2 Server, but it is NOT a DFS share.

Thanks for the offer to repair the file, but we were eventually able to finish the project, so we no longer need it repaired. My hope is that this will be fixed completely before we begin our next Flash project, though I'm sure that won't be the case. If Adobe wants the file for analysis, I'd be glad to send it over.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2012 7:33 AM   in reply to Gock14

Hey all,

this week I ran into the same problem. I am using Flash CS6 and this is the second time my .fla suddenly decided to be an "unexpected fileformat".

I tried the .zip and renaming method, sadly with no success.

Can anyone confirm that this problem doesn't occur, when saving on a local drive? Or does it just happen less often?

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2012 3:35 AM   in reply to sinnentfremdet

Find your file at:

$DRIVE:\Users\$USERNAME\AppData\Local\Adobe\Flash CS5\en_US\Configuration

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2012 10:29 PM   in reply to sinnentfremdet

Could you please update these details.

1. What type of network in your organization (ex :Windows2008 server and having DFS)

2. Whether this file saved in network location or not. (FLA)

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points