Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Pixel Bender Plug-Ins in AE CS6

May 10, 2012 3:33 PM

Hi,

i just noticed that my Pixel Bender Plug-ins do not show up in the Effects and Presets Area in my AE CS6.

I copied the *.pbg files into the Plug-ins-Directory of AE CS6.

What's the problem here?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 10, 2012 4:36 PM   in reply to pvpcom20

Sorry, support for Pixel Bender (.pbk, .pbg) filters has been removed in After Effects CS6. Existing projects that use them will come in as missing effects, and saving as CS5.5 will still allow them to work when opened in CS5.5. in After Effects CS6.

See this video: http://www.video2brain.com/en/lessons/removed-features-with-suggestion s-for-new-workflows

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 11:10 PM   in reply to pvpcom20

What's the problem here?

PB support is a goner...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 1:26 AM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Why???

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 1:49 AM   in reply to John Stanowski

Well, you now officially have 2 hardware accelerated infrastructures already in AE - OpenGL fast previews and the new 3D crap. Add to that other OpenGL and CUDA plug-ins - well, removing PB is a means of managing potential risks and conflicts. I'm sure it will reappear at some point as will other features that have been culled in CS6 when they have figured out how to do it halfway safely without messing up their already far too fragile constructs...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 12:53 PM   in reply to John Stanowski

We'll have a full explanation up soon, but the short answer is that it took a very (surprisingly) large amount of engineering resources to maintain the Pixel Bender infrastructure. We have limited engineering resources. We found that we could do a lot more good by spending those resources on other features.

We talked to every deleoper of Pixel Bender plug-ins for AFter Effects before making this decision, and most of them are willing to use the C/C++ SDK to make plug-ins, instead. Pixel Bender plug-ins were somewhat easier to write, but they were much slower and also didn't have as many features as those written with the C/C++ SDK.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 4:59 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Thanks, that's good to know. It's not a huge disaster, for me anyway, as there weren't that many I used.

But there are a few terribly unique ones there I didn't like the idea of using. I'll just use CS5 when the need arises.

Good to know we may see them in CS6 in the future.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 8:30 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

I think one of the main points of Pixel Bender was, that everybody could code

some quick'n'dirty tool and use it right within After Effects. There have been

a lot of new, simple tools that where never created when SDK was around.

It's really sad that this possibility disappears now. If you want to let people

move to the SDK I hope you will provide really simplified wizards and an

excellent development UI integration. Not having a C/C++ background makes

it almost impossible to set up everything correctly to compile for example

a simple color transformation plugin with GPU acceleration.

Nevertheless it would be a miracle if PB gets released as Open Source,

from the amount of feedback this would be an excellent solution keeping

and even extending the possibilities of todays complex production pipelines.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points