Skip navigation
rofskyweb
Currently Being Moderated

Can not open .ai illustrator files in CS6

May 11, 2012 11:39 AM

Tags: #import #fireworks #paste #copy #vectors #ai

Hi. I am having problems opening several illustrator files, and pasting a vector from illustrator CS6 to fireworks CS6.

If I try to open an .ai file that I normally would open just fine in fireworks CS5.x I get an error that says:

"

Could not open the file.

An internal error occured

"

If i try to copy in Illustrator CS6, then paste to fireworks nothing happens.

This is occuring with multiple files, that are small in size, even selecting simple vectors and pasting is not working.

I tried creating a new file in Illustrator, pasting the shape from the other file, saving it, then working with that file in Fireworks, still does not work.

I tried rebooting.

12.0.0.236 , windows 7 ultimate x64, i7, ssd, etc..

Thanks,

Arthur

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 11, 2012 12:14 PM   in reply to rofskyweb

right there with you bro. I have the 64bit illustrator and i think the 32 bit fireworks, if that makes any difference. For me, now illustrator and fireworks are incompatible... help anyone?

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 6:27 PM   in reply to rofskyweb

I tested with a few .ai files, and I was able to open them fine in FW CS6. I was also able to copy between the two apps.

I'm on Windows 7 64 as well.

Can you share one of the files where you are having the issue?

Also, when you're pasting, does it fail when you use Edit > Paste, or just keyboard shortcut?

Can you paste into some other app from Illustrator?

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 6:26 AM   in reply to rofskyweb

Okay, here is what I've found. I created a doc in AI and FW, each with a single red box (created with each app). I can go from FW to AI, but not AI to FW.

Using the command menus or shortcut keys makes no difference. In FW, the 'Paste' mene item is available, but nothing happens whan it is clicked.

FWIW, I created the same sort of doc with Paint, and it copys/pastes fine between both applications.

Also, in AI, after clicking 'new document', and before the document options dialog opens, I get an error/confirmation dialog ehich says "The operation cannot complete because of an unknown error. [CANT]".

Upon clicking 'OK', it goes about it's business as if nothings wrong. Don't know if that's in any way related...

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 8:01 AM   in reply to rofskyweb

Having exactly the same problems, what the heck is going on?

Being able to copy and past from Illustrator into Fireworks was half the reason I used Fireworks, get it sorted Adobe.

6GB RAM, Windows 7 64....

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 5:34 AM   in reply to TheOtherTed

Another one with the same problem. I was able to open an AI file in Fireworks from Bridge, but it was a one time thing. Can't repeat it anymore. Oh, Adobe, why did you break something, that worked so well in the past... :-(

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 9:28 AM   in reply to rofskyweb

I'm having this exact same issue as well. I had an entire website designed mostly in Illustrator and upgraded from CS5.5 Production to CS6 Master Collection specifically to use Fireworks. Now I'm feeling that money would have been much better spent elsewhere. What a disappointment...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 7:18 PM   in reply to janeatvaliantav

I've been able to open AI files, and File > Save As Photoshop in FW CS6 with no issue yet. Likewise, drag and drop as well as copy/paste are both working for me, AI - FW. I'm on a MacBookPro running Snow Leopard.

I have alerted the engineers to this thread. It would be helpful for them to know your OS and version  (each of you) as well as what other apps - if any - are running when you experience these issues. The more details the better. And ideally, report the issue and all the details to the wishlist. Bugs or issues submitted via the wishlist are logged and read. This is a user to user forum, so it is not regularly monitored by Adobe staff.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 4:19 AM   in reply to JimBabbage

Thanks Jim, I wasn't aware of this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 4:23 AM   in reply to JimBabbage

Thanks Jim, I have just filled in that online form so hopefully I'll hear something soon.

I'm on Windows 7 Enterprise by the way.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 5:49 AM   in reply to Noticeme

Hi All:

Just a note regarding the wishform. Your detailed input on that form is importantant and I really appreicate you taking the time to help make Fireworks a better product. So thank you for filing these bugs.

Keep in mind that even though one person may have indicated they filed the bug, you should also file your own bug on the issue if you are experiencing problems. This reporting makes the engineers aware of how prevalent the issue is and helps to prioritize which bugs get addressed first. Yes, I know, in an ideal world, they'd ALL be marked as high priority, but that's seldom the case with anything. Squeeky wheel gets the grease, etc...

Also, filing the bug doesn't necessarily mean you will personally hear from the engineering team. This is a quote from the form itself:

>>We normally do not send personal replies to feature requests or bug reports. We do, however, read each and every message. We use the information to improve our products and services. Your comments, suggestions, and ideas for improvements are very important to us. We appreciate you taking the time to send us this information.<<

That said, I'm making an effort to bring these threads to the attention of the FW team, and if I hear anything myself, I'll be sure to let you know.

HTH

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 6:45 AM   in reply to JimBabbage

Just filled out the form, experiencing the same problem. I have a set of EPS and AI files that open fine in Fireworks CS5, but not in Fireworks CS6. Running 32-bit Windows 7.

This issue needs to be addressed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 5:43 AM   in reply to jordandevries

Still nothing on this problem?

I'm really struggling with this issue, I'm only days away from downgrading back to CS5!

Can Adobe at least just announce there is NO FIX, rather than no information at all, I mean... come on!

And yes I filled out the feedback/wishform/support form with all the info they need. I'm on Windows 7.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 8:13 AM   in reply to Noticeme

I've alerted the FW team about this thread again. I'm wondering if the issue lies on the Illustrator side, but I can't say for sure, either way.

FYI regarding the wishform. The wishform is a bug logging mechanism only; it doesn't mean anyone from Adobe will reach out to you directly. In fact, it states as much on the page.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 10:13 AM   in reply to Jim_Babbage

Thank you for keeping up with this.

At my office, we've found that Illustrator 5.5 can still paste into FW CS6, leading us to believe that it's a change in how AI CS6 handles clipboard data(?)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 5:08 PM   in reply to Jim_Babbage

I've tried to open older Illustrator files with FW CS6, without success. I think it's definitely a Fireworks problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 5:13 PM   in reply to NetHawky

Well, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I have not had an issue, but I'm running on a Mac, and from the posts here, others can use earlier versions of AI. Maybe we're narrowing it down to a Windows issue?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 2:19 AM   in reply to Jim_Babbage

I've heard (or better: read) about Mac users having the same issue. Is the Fireworks dev team busy with FW CS7 or could they spare a minute, looking at this problem...? We can only hope so...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 4:49 AM   in reply to NetHawky

We are looking into this issue.Some specific pattern of installing Fireworks CS6 and Illustrator CS6 seems to be the cause as we see no compatiblity issues for some users/machines.We are investigating this issue further.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 4:51 AM   in reply to Shubhashri CG

If you need information, or users testing things, let me know, I will support you as good as I can.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 4:53 AM   in reply to NetHawky

Thanks for your support.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 6:21 AM   in reply to rofskyweb

I am having the excact same issue, also on windows 7. This is a major bug - we can not use the workflow we are used to!

I sent a bug report, hopefully Adobe will fix this bus as soon as possible.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 7:21 PM   in reply to Shubhashri CG

Hi there,

I had the same issue as the others on this post. I found a solution:

1. The problem seems to be related with APPLE QUICKTIME installation. So if you have quicktime installed, just uninstall it and everything will works fine again: you can import your .ai files to fireworks.

2. This worked for me: I tried to reinstall quicktime (because I use After Effects) and everything are still working.

3. In case you don't use after effects try to download k-lite codec pack as an alternative to quicktime

Hopefully it helps someone!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 12:31 AM   in reply to royrogers72

royrogers72 - you are the best! I uninstalled Quicktime and now it works! Great, thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 11:55 AM   in reply to royrogers72

Worked for me too, cheers RR72.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 9:07 AM   in reply to rofskyweb

Hi - does anyone know if there has been any further progress on this issue? I am having trouble importing Illustrator files into Fireworks. I'm on a MAC running OSX 10.7.3. Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 9:07 AM   in reply to jcosta31

Ich bin am 29.7. zurück im Büro. In dringenden Fällen kontaktieren Sie bitte g.paganini@lenaxis.ch

Beste Grüsse

Markus Gempeler

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2013 2:14 PM   in reply to markgemp

I encountered the same problem.

Quicktime uninstall did not work.

solution:

Start Firewroks in administrator mode, problem solved.

J'ai rencontré le même problème.

désinstaller Quicktime n'a pas marché.

Solution:

Démarrer Firewroks en mode administrateur, probléme résolue.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2014 4:41 AM   in reply to rofskyweb

You may use a proved way of AI file restoration. Owing to Illustrator Repair Toolbox you can simultaneously open some .ai files, including CS6 files version.

Tool is placed at next source: http://www.illustrator.repairtoolbox.com/

In case this method wouldn't be effective, see necessary actions of alternative .ai opening

To attempt recovery using Illustrator itself:

1) Create a new document

2) Select “place image” ( File > Place… )

3) Choose your corrupted file in the dialog box. Make sure you choose file types to ” ALL DOCUMENTS “, not just RECOMMENDED.

4) Save this file. If you cannot save this file (due to corruption), copy your vectors and paste them into a new illustrator document.

PROS: You should be able to select the corrupted file, and your vector work should be saved.

CONS: All layers will be flattened into one. PMS color info and placed images may be lost. File may still be corrupted.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2014 4:42 AM   in reply to JBreston

Ich bin am 10.3. zurück im Büro. In dringenden Fällen kontaktieren Sie bitte g.paganini@lenaxis.ch

Beste Grüsse

Markus Gempeler

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points