Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Distortion in Audition 3.0.1 and Win7 64 bit

May 13, 2012 4:52 PM

Tags: #audition_3 #windows_7_64_bit_recording_distortion

On board audio on my mobo took a dump, I don't like on board anyway. I added a Diamond PCI 7.1 (I am not spending $200 on a big time card, this one meets my needs). I have 2 hard drives with OS. One is XP sp3, the other Win7 sp1. I can't get ASIO working on the Win7, although it has worked on XP. Anyway, when I use the stereo mix as an input in Win7 and record, 99% of the time it comes back with distortion on the audio; this is true whether recording a stream from the web, or just testing by playing an audio file through Media Player. With XP, everything sounds fine. I have the only Win7 driver I could find for the card. Once in a while I get clean audio on Win7, but rarely. May I assume 3.0.1 isn't happy with Win7 under this circumstance? If I am forced, I can always boot to XP and use it there. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues. Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 13, 2012 11:24 PM   in reply to Rivergoat

Hey, I used to have a Diamond PCI card somewhere.

I would say that all bets are off with the drivers, but there is a strong possibility that you could be hearing the problems with the sample rate converter in Windows 7 (and I think in Vista). This affects recording and playback, and the first line of defence is to make sure that the source audio's sample rate is the same as the "default sample rate" that is set in every area in the Windows Control panel audio area.

The sample rate converter built into XP has a range of settings that are usually set to "high quality", and sample rate conversion is rare anyway with that OS. With Windows 7, the concept of the newer Windows mixer irequires that the sample rate converter changes all the audio on the fly to the default ample rate, but the converter is not very good. This doesn't always affect the audio - anything using DirectX seems OK, but anything using "WaveOut" audio (eg YouTube playback) is affected.

Microsoft acknowledges the problem and have issued a patch at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2653312

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points