Skip navigation
chris.kuta
Currently Being Moderated

Problems with CS5.5 on a networked account

Feb 2, 2012 1:13 AM

Tags: #problem #pro #premiere #cs5.5

Hi,

I am currently trying to use Premiere Pro CS5.5 (with updates) on a network, and having problems getting the work space screen up.

After loading up Premiere Pro, I can choose a sratch area and select my sequence settings, but after this the programme just hangs and gives me no work area.

Has anyone come across this problem before, if so is there something I need to do in order for it to bring up the work space?

Any advice/tips much appreciated, starting to do my tree in, and desperately need to get it working!

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 8, 2012 8:24 PM   in reply to chris.kuta

Do not run on a network... not part of the software's design

Win Server is NOT supported http://forums.adobe.com/thread/851602

Not in a Network environment http://forums.adobe.com/thread/771151

-and not on a "domain" http://forums.adobe.com/thread/858977

Program must be installed on a built-in hard drive, and run with an Administrator account

Data drive(s) must also be local, not on a network

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2012 6:43 PM   in reply to chris.kuta

I also really need to get this working.  I've seen many posts pointing out that this is an issue, and quite frankly, my company wouldn't have bought the product if we had known about this issue.

I'm more than willing to work for the solution, so can anyone point out what file/cache locations may be causing a problem?  We're running network accounts from many iMacs on OSX 10.7 through Open Directory on Lion Server 10.7.  I really need to get this working in a networked environment, but I'm willing to make any/all cache locations live locally on Macs.  I need users to eb able to keep and manage their preferences, and keep media and project files in remote locations, but I don't care where caches live.

Can someone from Adobe chime in on this?

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2012 7:25 PM   in reply to kyleconnolly

Issue!

How is it an issue if the "product " was never designed to be run on a network.

The issue is those that did not do their homework properly.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2012 8:28 PM   in reply to kyleconnolly

>Can someone from Adobe chime in on this?

Someone already did... in one of the links I already posted... http://forums.adobe.com/thread/771151

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 9:50 AM   in reply to kyleconnolly

keep media and project files in remote locations, but I don't care where caches live.

That may prove troublesome.  PP really does run better under Admin accounts with all files stored locally.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 7:49 AM   in reply to chris.kuta

Your work around is exactly what the links I posted indicate... you may use any location as STATIC file storage... you must copy those static files to a LOCAL hard drive for editing, using an Administrator account, and then back to storage when you are done

Premiere Pro is simply not designed to edit files across a network, and, as far as I know, PPro will not run at all if it is installed on the network server and you try to run the program from a connected computer

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 5:52 AM   in reply to chris.kuta

Rather than a not particulally helpful stock standard ' this is not Adobe supported' blah blah blah.

We all know that Adobe do not support Network Homes, and never have. We're so lucky we've been able to use workarounds at all!

Adobe should test their stuff and make their programming abstracted enough to work in these situations. Hard coded paths and making assumptions about where a users' home is is just plain bad programming.

A users' home may not be in /Users, it may not be on the same drive (lots of new machines have both SSD and HDs now), it may be on an external drive, or it *may* be on a network.

There are plenty of programmatical ways to determine this.

Having your home 'eleswhere' should not stop the program working. Are you listening Adobe? (and Microsoft).

It is not about 'supporting' network homes — its about having the program flexible enough to work with a home when that is not just in /Users.

Any way, here's some real help —

Adobe Premiere 5.5 can be made to work with a couple of symlinks.

Firstly, like Acrobat, you'll need to redirect the following folder to a local disk

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Premier Pro/5.5

I used MCX Folder redirection to redirect this to

/tmp/@%/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Premier Pro/5.5

The next thing that will also help (though not sure if it is completely necessary, but certainly good practise for large video projects and files) —

I split the internal drives on my Lab machines. One partition is called 'Storage' and is read writeable by all.

I create another MCX Folder redirection for the following

~/Desktop/My Scratch Disk

redirected to

/Volumes/Storage/@%

Students are directed to save their projects into this folder on the Storage drive.

They should also be made aware that this menas their projects are specific to a particular machine, and that they may not get backed up, and can be removed at any time.

This has worked a treat in my Labs (80+ Macs) running 10.6.8 and Premiere CS 5.5 (Part of a Master Collection CS5.5 install)

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 5:55 AM   in reply to shooternz

It is a problem, if the product is designed badly, with assumptions that everyone's home is in /Users. That will not always be the case.

It is much better to design a product that programmatically 'asks' where the current home folder is. It should not matter at all that the home folder is in /Users or /Volumes/Externaldisk/Users or on a network somewhere.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 7:39 AM   in reply to e_whizz

That is where a Feature Request is so very useful - Adobe can be aprised of what they need to do, to make more users happy.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points