• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OpenGL Issue in CS6

Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2012 May 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having trouble using the rotate tool in Photoshop CS6, as it gives me the error "could not complete your request because it only works with OpenGL enabled document windows".

In prior versions of CS you could go into the preferences and enable OpenGL, but there doesn't seem to be an option for CS6. Has it been moved?

We're running on an AMD Radeon HD 3800 series with Catalyst version 12.3 and OpenGL version 6.14.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 14, 2012 May 14, 2012

While I'm finding the latest AMD display driver to work a treat with Photoshop CS6, I have a different card model than you do (mine's a 5670).

You might find that removing the ATI drivers and installing an earlier version could be helpful.  I recommend trying Catalyst version 11.7.  That seemed to be a particularly good version for Photoshop use.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OpenGL option is in Edit/preference/performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's still in the Performance preferences, but it's now called [  ] Use Graphics Processor.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have checked [  ] Use Graphics Processor already but it still doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you closed and reopened Photoshop since checking that box?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then something about your video card driver is preventing OpenGL from working correctly on your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there any documentation of AMD Radeon drivers not working with photoshop CS6? I know there was an issue with 11-3 with Catalyst, but AMD has since fixed the issue. I need to know whether or not to roll back my drivers or send a report to AMD about this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3eyesworm wrote:

is there any documentation of AMD Radeon drivers not working with photoshop CS6?

Not really - just what you read from other peoples' personal experience.  I know that there are several of us here with 5xxx series cards who occasionally exchange information about what works and what doesn't.  Like I said, Catalyst 12.4 seems to work great for me with Photoshop, but the driver software is almost no doubt card model-specific at some level.

It would probably help to make your case with AMD if you were to find a version of their driver that works and show that another version does not, doing the exact same things.  I don't know how aggressively they support older cards though...  While they are pretty good about releasing new drivers, do they really care that much if your older card works with the latest driver and the latest graphics application?  I imagine at some point they hope you'll buy a new card.  That said, it appears the AMD folks work harder at supporting older cards than the nVidia folks.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I'm finding the latest AMD display driver to work a treat with Photoshop CS6, I have a different card model than you do (mine's a 5670).

You might find that removing the ATI drivers and installing an earlier version could be helpful.  I recommend trying Catalyst version 11.7.  That seemed to be a particularly good version for Photoshop use.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, rolling back to 11-7 seemed to have done the trick. I also adjusted the 3D settings from balanced to high performance.

Again, thanks for everything, it's working great now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3eyesworm wrote:

Thank you, rolling back to 11-7 seemed to have done the trick.

Awesome.  Thanks for reporting back - that information may help others with similar cards.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2012 May 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm the same problem with CS6 and the latest version of the driver for my ATI Radeon 5850.  Rolling back the driver has fixed the problem but there is obviously something wrong with the current version of the driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 06, 2012 Jul 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case it's helpful to others, my ATI Radeon HD 4800 series card (Windows 7 x64) did not allow Photoshop's Open GL features (CS5 and CS6) with the latest drivers. I uninstalled the video driver version 12.4 (and 12.6), rebooted, and reinstalled Catalyst Control Center Suite version 12.2 and the Photoshop Open GL features returned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. This issue just happened out of the blue . My mac book pro, (macOS Catalina, Radeon Pro 560 4gb, Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB, processor 2.9 GHz QuadCore Intel Core i7) did update itself overnight. Use graphics processor is under photoshop>preferences> performanc ebut graphics processor is greyed out. Does anyone have any other suggestions please?

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2012 Jul 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case your running Windows XP Adobe droped support for XP OpenGL in CS6.   If your running XP CS6 does not have support for OpenGL.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2015 Jan 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you change the the colour mode from 8 bit to 32 bit you can rotate your file. I have Adobe Photoshop CS6 64 bit version 13.0.1. I don't know if it will work for you, but it does for me so give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2016 Sep 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution was to close Adobe Illustrator (which I had open in the background).
I don't think my machine liked having Ai and Ps both trying to use the GPU at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! I ran into the same issue after updating Windows 10 to latest, I was working before and after the updates so, I can confirm that the issue appeared after the update. And now I can't roll back to the previous ver. for it! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh! And I'm using PS 2020 BTW 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You need to start a new thread giving operating system and as much information about your issue as possible.  In fact with an issue like this you need to tell us what hardware you are using.  The best way to do this is to open Photoshop and go Help > System info > Copy and paste to your new thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines