• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I create a login/password protection in Muse for a HTML5 page or two?

Participant ,
May 14, 2012 May 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm new to Muse.  Can I create a login/password protection for

one of my pages in Muse?

thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

The only way to password protect Muse pages today would be to set up secure zones on the hosting side of the house. If you are hosting on Adobe Business Catalyst this is quite possible, but requires a good understanding of the entire BC content management system. You can get a quick sense of what it would take to configure such a secure zone in this BC knowledge base article.

Others have had success with services such as AuthPro.com, JavaScript password protection, or with setting up password pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way to password protect Muse pages today would be to set up secure zones on the hosting side of the house. If you are hosting on Adobe Business Catalyst this is quite possible, but requires a good understanding of the entire BC content management system. You can get a quick sense of what it would take to configure such a secure zone in this BC knowledge base article.

Others have had success with services such as AuthPro.com, JavaScript password protection, or with setting up password protection of files and folders in the control panel/cpanel of their web host provider. This creates what's known as "http authentication". Here is an article on how to create .htaccess and .htpasswd files to password protect your pages or directories using basic http authentication: Password Protecting Your Pages with htaccess

Best regards,

Corey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 05, 2014 Nov 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Corey you are amazing. i cannot tell you how long I've been looking for something like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2015 Apr 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have setup a password protected folder (using our cpanel - on a 3rd party server). A couple things I have run into:

1) Is there a way to save pages in a subdirectory? The only way I have been able to get MUSE to write a page into the subdirectory is to create a whole new muse project that points to that directory when it FTP's it up. It would be so much simpler if I could just (in the page properties) where you name the page...go ahead and just do /folder/index.html  and it respect the name and write that page into the subfolder.

2) After creating a different MUSE file for the password protected pages/sub directory (which is working ok) the client can no longer access this portion with the in-browser-editing feature. If you login to the (first site) that has an external link to the password folder in it's menu...it does not allow them to click it and follow it to that subdirectory to edit it because it sees it as an external link. They need to be able to access that area so they can update info too... I tried using www.client.com/PasswordFolder/ address with the in-browser-editing site hoping it would be smart enough to log into the password protected folder and edit that section...but no luck - it doesn't see it as a MUSE site.

The muse-themes widget is nothing more than a hidden page... and the only other solution I see is right now is this:  https://creativemarket.com/kannan3013/122915-Password-Protect-Adobe-Muse-Widget

But they say it is not "really" secure either...so I am kind of stuck on what to do. I need real password protection...but I ALSO need in-browser-editing.

Any help would be great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I can just get it to let me do in-browser-editing on a directory that has been password protected with htaccess (using the cpanel on dreamhost.com) I would be golden. I can handle having two use different muse files...two different addresses where they login (using in-browser-editing).

when I posted it up for the first time from MUSE is was smart enough to see/ask for the verification password for the directory (which is different than the ftp password). So I thought I was good. When you click the link it generates right after posting that says you can do inbrowser editing... it goes to that address  inbrowserediting.adobe.com/login/client.com/directory but then it sits for a second and then drops the client.com/directory and waits for you to enter the rest...which doesn't work.

Does it work behind a password protected directory like this or am I am stuck because in-browser-editing doesn't support this yet? Which means I have to rethink everything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This won't really help but:

Muse seems to be built for simple sites. Portfolio, business store front display type sites. It's all html after all. Not php - you would think it wouldn't be hard to export to php.  I am just going to switch my site over to wordpress when i get the time. You can find free (usually) plugins / addons for anything you need to do. Depending on what you mean by in browser editing, that is what wordpress is. in browser editing. Maybe something Business Catalyst?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ryan3 - I love the features so far of MUSE. I can code when I have to but I am looking for a solution that allows me to be a designer and not get bogged down in the code.  Muse is perfect so far for that... I just have a client that wants some stuff password protected...but also be able to edit it with the MUSE in-browser-editing feature. I would like to stick with MUSE and try and solve this issue if possible because I see the potential it has. Hopefully it is a simple solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2013 Apr 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PASSWORD PROTECTING A PAGE WITH A NICE BOX DESIGNED INTO YOUR PAGE

FINALLY, I'VE FOUND AN ANSWER TO PASSWORDING A PAGE OR SECTION WITH ADOBE MUSE WITH GREAT SIMPLICITY AND ALLOWING YOU TO 'DESIGN' THE PASSWORD BOX INTO YOUR PAGE!!!

Even better is that you don't HAVE to have username AND password (although you could if you wanted to), so just a simple PASSWORD box and enter button DESIGNED BY YOU WITHIN YOUR PAGE, rather than nasty popups etc.  Importantly, the password itself is NOT within the source code of your page either!!

The solution is at Jotform.com. I believe you can do this with a FREE ACCOUNT, although it's SUCH a great service for Musers that I paid for a proper account.

Before you do this, create a page on your site saying "Wrong Password. Please go away" or something to that effect. You'll need it for when they enter the wrong password.

So, in Jotform, you just create a new form and:

1. Drag on a password box (it's in the power tools section)

2. Select it and go to Conditions

3. Go to Change Thank You URL after submission

4. Enter: If [name of your password box] field EQUALS TO [enter your password]

5. In the "Then redirect to" box, enter the URL of your protected page and click save

6. In the resulting box click "ADD A NEW CONDITION" and do the SAME as stets 3 to 5 but this time say NOT EQUALS TO" with your same password and in the "Then redirect to" box, enter the URL of your WRONG PASSWORD page and click save

7. Embed the button on your page and you're done!!!

If you want to mess about with the EXACT alignment of a right aligned button and text box, you can go to Preferences and in the box which allows you to add your own custom CSS, enter the following code and mess about with the values until it's perfect for you:

.form-buttons-wrapper { padding-top:3px !important; }#id_2 {margin-left: -50px !important;}

Here's an example, built in Muse: www.hileytv.com/about.html

I hope this helps my fellow Musers!

Marcus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2013 Jul 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't seem to see a password box in Jotform.com.  is there a different name now for it or have they gotten rid of it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2013 Jul 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see a password box in Jotform.com either. Do you need a paid subscription for this feature? I also do not have "secure zone" as an option in Site Manager for BC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2013 Jul 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like they removed that feature: http://www.jotform.com/answers/250715-JotForm-Password-Box-field

Seems like he gives an alternative though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2014 May 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Corey said,

You should be able to password project a folder/directory through my web host. Your main site will be in the main ftp folder while your password protected page is in a sub (password protected) folder.  After exporting your site from muse and uploading it to FTP just make sure you copy the css, images, scripts folders etc. to the protected folder along with the page you want password protected.  Just make sure your page links are setup to the full web address and not just the file names that muse defaults to. Not very elegant but it should get the job done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2015 Sep 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this remain the only option to password protect pages created in Muse?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2014 Oct 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 05, 2014 Nov 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not a solution whatsoever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2015 Apr 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if I understand correctly , this feature to create a user space (with login FB or other) is not possible , at least for now. It's that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2015 Jun 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Corey, what licence is required to do password protection? We're currently on the 30 day free trial evaluating the product, and the option for secure zones isn't there.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2015 Dec 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link provided is either outdated or has been changed because the info on creating secure zones is not in the BC dashboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 02, 2016 Apr 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any new ways of doing this in Muse?

I looked around and the only thing I could find was that weird pseudo-solution from muse-themes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 03, 2016 Apr 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there....

Have you seen this widget? Might do the job: Adobe Muse Password Protection Widget by MuseThemes

I can vouch for Muse Themes - great support if you need it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I put together a few password protection widgets here if you wanted to check them out.  This link goes directly to a user name and password widget but if you go to the home page there are a few other password protect options.  There are videos for each that show how to use them as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines