Skip navigation
Dominique_R
Currently Being Moderated

CS5.5 - Page numbers in alternate type

May 14, 2012 9:35 AM

Hi guys,

Say I chose for the body text and page numbers of my next book the Minion Pro font, but I'd like the numbers to be in Glyphs|Oldstyle Figures instead of the normal font look, just as it is by default in the Georgia typeface (you know, 1, 7, 4, 8 with nice descenders and ascenders) which I'm using now. In the main body text, I can just change each occurrence manually —and maybe there's a way to automate this, but it doesn't matter much as I won't have many figures in there (it's a photo book on Venice I'm doing).

However, I haven't figured a way to use alternate type in page numbers, because the letters that appear in lieu of page humbers on the Master Page simply don't have the equivalent to "Oldstyle Figures".

Short of choosing another typeface altogether for the page numbers, do you have a tip as to how to achieve this? I'm pulling whatever hair remains over this.

Thanks a lot!

Dominique

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 14, 2012 9:46 AM   in reply to Dominique_R

I'm not having any difficulty doing this. The markers onthe master page are just that, markers, and any formatting you apply to them will be applied to the actual digits on the document pages.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 1:21 AM   in reply to Dominique_R

Dominique_R wrote:

Now, how can I change those **letters** to Oldstyle **Figures**? When, on the Master Page, I select the letters BP and go to Type|Glyphs and select Oldstyle Figures, obviously nothing happens because nothing can happen... unless I'm missing something?

Do exactly that, then look at your page numbers ...

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 4:35 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

Same way you would do it if they WERE digits. Select the marker, and from the Character panel flyout menu choose OpenType and from the submenu choose the figure style of your choice.

You won't see any change on the master page, but it will show up when you have digits on the document pages.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 8:42 AM   in reply to Dominique_R

How are you inserting the page marker?

Does the font you are using actually HAVE oldstyle figures?

This works perfectly here....

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 12:06 PM   in reply to Dominique_R

Here's a screen shot of a master page labeled BP with a huge, easy-to-see current page marker:

Format page Numbers 1.png

As you can see I've selected the marker and applied Proportional Oldstyle figure formatting. It doesn't look any different on the master page.

Here's page 1479 based on master BP:

Format page Numbers 2.png

If this doesn't work for you, either you are not doing what we have been describing, or perhaps there is a problem with your install and trashing the prefs might help (see Replace Your Preferences) but I suspect the problem is in what you are doing, or not doing.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 2:52 PM   in reply to Dominique_R

Ah, the proverbial penny drops for me.

Dominique_R wrote:

... Type|Glyphs and select Oldstyle Figures ..

-- as you found that just shows the Oldstyle Figures in the Glyphs panel. Nothing selected, nothing changed, etc.

OSF can also be set as a paragraph-wide attribute in your Paragraph Styles dialog: OpenType Features, Figure Style: Proportional Oldstyle or Tabular Oldstyle, whatever you fancy (Minion Pro has all four variants).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points