Currently Being Moderated

How do I enable "Uninterrupted Playback" in Premiere CS6

May 14, 2012 10:08 AM

can't find the option anywhere.

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 14, 2012 10:09 AM   in reply to corestudios_tv

Like you want to be able to alt+tab away and continue to have it playing?

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 10:18 AM   in reply to corestudios_tv

I don't think that is a part of the feature, unfortunately.  (Somebody please correct me)

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 11:24 AM   in reply to corestudios_tv

This isn't something you turn on or off.  It's just a part of how PP works now.

But you can't move the CTI manually and continue playing.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 11:30 AM   in reply to corestudios_tv

Clicking elsewhere in the timeline will interrupt your playback along with any dialogs opening during playback.

Reg Santo Tomas

Premiere Pro QE

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 12:11 PM   in reply to corestudios_tv

If you can, please file a feature request for the playhead to keep playing when locating to a new place in the Timeline: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 1:26 AM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Here's a video that shows the uninterrupted playback feature in action:

http://www.video2brain.com/en/lessons/adjustment-layers-applying-effec ts-and-continuous-playback

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 3:22 PM   in reply to Mr Eric J

Sorry to interrupt, but I couldn't find the answer to this anywhere else ongoogle (maybe I couldn't word it properly) but is there anyway to have adobe premiere pro continue playing while you alt-tab away? 

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 3:26 PM   in reply to bowen_hou1

In CS6, playback will continue even if you alt-tab away from the application.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 3:51 PM   in reply to Reg Santo Tomas

Oh, I'm on CS5.5, is there anyway to change it so that playback will continue even if you alt+tab away or is my only choice purchasing CS6?

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 3:53 PM   in reply to bowen_hou1

The uninterrupted playback feature is a new implementation in CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 4:27 AM   in reply to Reg Santo Tomas

Sorry to be dense, but i cant find it.

I'm trying out CS6, and playback stops if i do *anything* at all.

So how do i turn on this MUCH needed feature ?

Thanks, J

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 8:15 AM   in reply to WebOfWebs

You don't turn it on.  It's just there.

State specifically what you're doing that causes playback to stop.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 4:26 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Oh i see...

Sorry i didnt click on Project Window, or any where totally irrelevent, like change workspace. Now i see it in action.

For a moment i thought playback would helpfully (and requested) continue while i checked timelines, sequences, etc.

Silly Me.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 5:59 AM   in reply to WebOfWebs

i thought playback would helpfully (and requested) continue while i checked timelines, sequences, etc.

The project window and workspaces aren't irrelevant to everyone. Much work was done to continue playback in as many cases as possible, when doing so makes sense.

How would PPro know that you didn't want to switch to that other timeline, or sequence? It would be pretty frustrating if you couldn't interrupt playback to go play a different sequence.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 3:24 AM   in reply to bbb_999

i agree completely.

"It would be pretty frustrating if you couldn't interrupt playback to go play a different sequence." - that would just be idiotic. Thats probably why it doesnt happen.

"The project window and workspaces aren't irrelevant to everyone" - i suspect they are not irrelevent to anyone. Thats probably why they are included.

Now to spell it out, as i think you may not have understand what i meant...

Having playback continue while changing workspace may be a whoop-di-doo for some. But i dont know of anyone who will benefit. Everyone i know has their favorite workspace laid out and thats that.

Having playback continue while clicking on say the timeline, or maybe sequences, say i'm looking for something similar, or reminding myself of clip length...

Now that would have been something to shout about.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 5:53 AM   in reply to WebOfWebs

[unconstructive comments ignored]

So, if sequence 1 is playing back somewhere near time T, and you decide to click somewhere else in the sequence 1 timeline (time Z), or click on sequence 2's timeline near time Y, you think PPro should ignore those clicks, and keep playing back sequence 1, time T?

That's the behavior you seem to be requesting—yet you also describe it as idiotic. I agree that such behavior would inspire a lot of shouting, but not the good kind.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 7:55 AM   in reply to bbb_999

[unconstructive comments ignored]

Deliberately choosing an improbable (impossible?) action to prove your point, proves mine.

Thanks for trying.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 7:58 AM   in reply to WebOfWebs

I'm not proving points; I'm trying to understand how your requested behavior differs from what I described (and which you dismissed as idiotic). I'm still interested in your answer to my question, if you'd like to make some progress.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 8:41 AM   in reply to bbb_999

[deep breath, count to ten...]

i did not "dismiss as idiotic" your description. I agreed with your original comment "It would be pretty frustrating if you couldn't interrupt playback". Maybe you are partisipating with a few conversations at once and genuinely not understanding what i've already said.

For Example - playing a clip in Source and click in Project. source stops. it would be nice to have the option that it doesnt stop.

Example - playing a clip A in Project and clicking on Sequence B. Again it would be beneficial to have the option of not auto-stopping.

i could go on.

To make it crystal, it would give more power to the user (surely the goal of Adobe developers) to have play continue until the USER decides it should stop. Either by option, or choosing to select/play another clip.

This is clearly a case of developers 'choosing' a behaviour, and not implementing options to have it any other way.

Anyway, food for thought.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 8:49 AM   in reply to WebOfWebs

Example A: agreed, makes sense.

Example B is the case I was trying to confirm.

If clip A is playing, and you click on sequence B in the project window, you want clip A to keep playing? Counter-intuitive to some, but again, I can see why you'd want that.

The case for which I didn't understand the use case, is this: if clip A is playing in source monitor, and you click somewhere in some sequence's timeline, would you actually want clip A to keep playing? Doesn't clicking in a sequence's timeline imply that you want to do/see something in that sequence, and in that case wouldn't you want clip A to stop playing?

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 10:27 AM   in reply to WebOfWebs

playing a clip in Source and click in Project. source stops. it would be nice to have the option that it doesnt stop.

That would be very strange and I'd argue unwanted behavior by most.

playing a clip A in Project and clicking on Sequence B. Again it would be beneficial to have the option of not auto-stopping.

Ditto.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 12:55 AM   in reply to bbb_999

just the other day i was playing a clip searching for a few spoken sentences i needed. I remembered they were there somewhere. So the clip was playing... At the same time i wanted to go through my sequences to find a particular combination of clips/effects/structure that was going to come in handy again...

The only way to multitask was to play the clip in a (non-adobe) player. It would have been nice to not have to switch programs.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 6:22 AM   in reply to WebOfWebs

Yes, that use case makes sense.

Also, sounds like a good use for PPro's speech-to-text analysis; instead of listening to the whole clip for those sentences, why not search?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 7:56 AM   in reply to WebOfWebs

At the same time i wanted to go through my sequences

I think that situation would be rare enough to make it a PITA if everyone else had to hit some kind of modifier to make that playback stop when switching to a new sequence.  The assumption is that doing so, you will want to play what's in that sequence.

It's a good assumption, I think, for the vast majority of situations.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2013 11:35 AM   in reply to corestudios_tv

I have the exact same question, I am used to Final Cut Pro, and like that the timeline keeps playing even if I jump to next edit point for instance. As it is now Premiere behaves like Avid and stops.

I see that Premiere plays even if I switch to other programs, but thatś not the feature I need. (please correct me if I am wrong)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2013 11:39 AM   in reply to Einar Røyne

The assumption is that by moving the CTI manually, you want it to be where it ends up.  To have it keep playing would be contrary behavior and outstandingly frustrating to the overwhelming majority of editors, I think.  Retapping that space bar is not such a huge deal for the miniscule amount of times an editor might need to keep playing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2013 11:48 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Thanx for quick reply. I guess itś just a matter of taste, I personally think the Final Cut way is way faster when for instance browsing through material on the timeline. But if itś not possible I will get used to it I guess, besides that it looks like a nice program

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2013 11:53 AM   in reply to Einar Røyne

Hi Elnar,

Please file a feature request if you want playback to behave like that: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 8:25 AM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Just filed a request, thanks for that link. I'll also post it here for the board.

*******Enhancement / FMR*********

-Brief title for your desired feature:

Uninterrupted playback when moving the CTI

-How would you like the feature to work?

During playback, I'd like to be able to click somewhere else on the timeline (usually scanning ahead) and have it jump to that point and continue playing. Instead, I click ahead and playback stops. Then I have to hit spacebar to begin playing again. This sounds like a little thing, but I do it hundreds of times a day when editing.

-Why is this feature important to you?

This feature is something that I've found useful in FCP for a decade, so it's a big loss.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 11:20 AM   in reply to cmataxis

Just filed my own Feature Request.

*******Enhancement / FMR*********

Normal behavior when manually adjusting the playhead position.

During playback, if I move the playhead to a new position, I'd like it to remain there until I manually initiate playback once again.  Having playback continue after I put the playhead where I want it would be incredibly frustrating.

Because programs that do things 'automatically' without user initiation are very frustrating to use.  I want the software to do what I tell it to do, not what it wants to do.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 12:56 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

I've just reread this thread in its entirety, and i see its now a classic example of Adobes forums. So i will be referencing this thread in a news article about to be published.

In brief, it illustrates nicely the (incorrect) way many large corporations work; people ask for a feature or change, and they are told they are wrong to even ask. Later the feature arrives mysteriously and those that dont like it ask for a reversal. Now these people are ignored or told they are wrong.

And the obvious solution of having a toggle or setting isnt implemented for another year..

(an obvious example is Windows 8 desktop - next year we''l be able to swap GUI with a click, instead of the fiddeling required at the moment)

Till then, keep claiming "the keyboards the only professional way to work" from Bluffers Guide to being a Professional.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2013 5:12 AM   in reply to WebOfWebs

I've just reread this thread in its entirety, and i see its now a classic example of Adobes forums. So i will be referencing this thread in a news article about to be published.

We look forward to your scathing exposé.

Once published, please post a link here so all

Adobe users will benefit from your wisdom and insight.

1. You did not originate this thread.

2. Aside from your semi-heated exchange with another user,

there were no contentious comments in this thread.

3. The only Adobe presence is a posted feature request link.

4. Your last post to this thread was Jun 1, 2012.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 6:27 AM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

I just read through this also. I agree with the request in Post #30 - however I would be willing to accept a modifier.

After some work I was doing last night, I now see the advantages of clicking "Play In to Out" and have it start at the in point, and if I want to jump ahead to just before the out point, I could Ctrl-click or Alt-click (or whatever) on where I want it to resume without having to hit the spacebar again. Better yet, let me set something in Preferences to avoid the modifier.

I don't actually need it in the Sequence timeline as much as I need it on the Source Monitor timeline while I am making subclips - making sure they start and end exactly where I want them. But it might as well get added both places. I have been editing a long time but seldom made subclips. My latest project has forced me into it.

I also want the software to do what I tell it to do, and this time, I want to tell it to continue to play from wherever on the timeline I click, following the previous command's instructions. Which might have just been "Play", but in my case would be "Play In to Out".

If I click on anything other than the timeline, I would expect the video to stop playing, of course. But if I had a second setting in Preferences, perhaps it could just play until I told it to stop or it came to the end (unless looped).

Sun of a gun. Those darned FCP people came up with something I also need. The temperature in Hell just fell to below 32 degrees Fahrenheit, Submitting a close copy of post #30 as well as a new one for my exact needs, as follows:

Uninterrupted playback when moving the CTI
    During playback in either the Source Monitor or the Project Monitor, I'd like to be able to click somewhere else on the timeline (usually scanning ahead) and have it jump to that point and continue playing, following the previous command's instructions. Which might have just been "Play", but might have been "Play In to Out". Instead, I click ahead and playback stops. Then I have to hit spacebar to begin playing again.
    When playing "In to Out" while making subclips, I generally want to play the first part of the clip then jump to the end part of the clip, simply doublechecking that I like the In and Out point where they are before I make it a subclip. When making many subclips out of long clips, it is possible to do this hundreds of times per clip.

My second request is as follows:

Add modifier to "Play In to Out" button and add keyboard shortcut capability for same
    Ctrl-click on "Play In to Out" would play five seconds (configurable in preferences) of the beginning and then jump to play five seconds (also configurable) at the end of the "In to Out" section. Also, add the equivalent Keyboard Shortcut so that Ctrl-Shift-Space would work as it does now, but some other (configurable) key combination would work as requested.
    When playing "In to Out" while making sub-clips, I generally want to play the first part of the clip then jump to the end part of the clip, simply double checking that I really do like the In and Out points where they are. When making subclips out of long clips, it is possible to do this hundreds of times per clip.

(Edit: Please note that these are actual submissions. )

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 2:45 AM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

Thanks for stating the obvious. Alway beneficial.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 5:50 AM   in reply to cmataxis

To all who agree with cmataxis (and me since I literally copied this request into my own) , I heard from an old friend at Adobe that this feature is also desired by people at Adobe who will help make sure it gets onto the "Big Board" of feature requests. Not sure exactly what that means but it sounds quite encouraging.

You may have read other posts of mine that indicate that I want people to be careful about what they ask for. If we make sure to ask for things like this, that would be great time savers, and avoid some of the other features that are not as useful, (or that simply would not be as widely appreciated) we can help guide Adobe towards the creation of the product that we really want Premiere Pro to be. They do listen. So if we choose wisely, the Adobe engineers have the skills needed to create magic*.

* Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Arthur C. Clarke

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points