Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

cs5 or cs6 , can i use 2 monitors?

May 12, 2012 7:17 AM

Hi

i'm under windows 7 and sometime xp

i have 2 monitors

can i use them with photoshop cs5 or cs6?

for example have the image in the bigger monitor or camera raw in the bigger monitor

and the tools in the smaller?

or viveversa?

thanks

cheers

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 12, 2012 7:33 AM   in reply to mantralightroom

I use two monitors all the time.  Yes, you can drag your panels out and put them where you want (then save a named workspace).

Here's my Photoshop CS6 desktop layout on my two 1600 x 1200 monitors.

DualMonitors.jpg

Camera Raw will come up in the last place you used it.  In my case I have it open on my right monitor, covering most of the screen.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 12, 2012 9:36 AM   in reply to mantralightroom

Maybe I'm not understanding the challenge as you're laying it out...

You have two monitors with different resolutions, each of which you use at different times, one at a time?  Or just two monitors you use all the time but where each has different resolutions?

Tuturorial?  For setting up a workspace?

When you have things set up the way you want, just go into Window - Workspace - New Workspace, give it a name, and you're done.  Now you can choose the workspace by name (amongst the ones Adobe has pre-prepared) via the control at the upper-right of the Photoshop main window.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,904 posts
    May 24, 2010
    May 12, 2012 10:22 PM   in reply to mantralightroom

What version of windows?  If Windows 7, then it is really easy.  Hold down the Windows key (between Ctrl and Alt) and 'p'  and choose Extend.

The right click the desktop and click of Display > Resolution and if you want to reverse which one is your main display, select it, and use the drop down and set it as such.

I believe Vista is similar. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,904 posts
    May 24, 2010
    May 12, 2012 10:28 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

I use two monitors all the time.  Yes, you can drag your panels out and put them where you want (then save a named workspace).

Here's my Photoshop CS6 desktop layout on my two 1600 x 1200 monitors.

DualMonitors.jpg

Camera Raw will come up in the last place you used it.  In my case I have it open on my right monitor, covering most of the screen.

-Noel

So that's four SSD boxes, an external drive, and a microphone for talking to the aliens?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 12, 2012 10:30 PM   in reply to mantralightroom

mantralightroom wrote:

yes  my 2 monitor is on the left and i have to move windows to the right to move on the second monitor

is there a way to change it? maybe move a window to the right

It sounds like you need to configure the arrangement of your displays. When you're in the Display control panel that Trevor directed you to, look at the two icons representing your monitors. You probably need to drag either icon to swap their positions, because right now Windows thinks your monitor arrangement is the opposite of what it is.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 13, 2012 8:38 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Two microphones.  Well, three, really - the one on top is stereo. 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,904 posts
    May 24, 2010
    May 13, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to mantralightroom

mantralightroom wrote:

thanks

but can i change the contrast or brightness of only 1 monitor via software?

cheers

Yes if you are using some sort of monitor calibration.  I use a relatively cheap Huey Pro which calibrates both monitors.   Calibration made little difference on my old computer, but corrected a strong green tint on my current box.  The thing is, you don't always realize that you have a problem until you see the before and after.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 13, 2012 3:06 PM   in reply to mantralightroom

mantralightroom wrote:

but can i change the contrast or brightness of only 1 monitor via software?

Depends on the video card.  I have full complete control of the calibration of each monitor independently via my ATI Radeon HD 5670 card.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 11:35 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

It just occurred to me, seeing that image, that dual-monitor setups made perfect sense with 4:3 monitors. With 16:10, or worse 16:9, it really doesn't unless you can stack them on top of each other (or set them sideways).

I had two dual-monitor setups, one 16:10 and the other 16:9, until I just couldn't take it anymore and got rid of both the secondaries. I felt like looking out at a vast expanse of horizon through a narrow slit in the wall. My neck began to hurt from twisting my head this way and that.

Bring back 4:3, please...

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,904 posts
    May 24, 2010
    May 14, 2012 1:13 AM   in reply to twenty_one

That's an interesting take on things, and I actually had much the same thought when monitors went wide screen, but it seems to me that the 'additional-width-is-useful-for-the-Essentials-workspace-panel-stack' only holds water for so long as you think in terms of the classic Essentials workspace.  A second monitor presents an opportunity to go beyond that workspace, and gives room to have most of the panels you most need readily to hand.

Noel has shown us one take, and I bet there as many alternative layouts as there are people here that use a second monitor.  I use a 19inch 4:3 second monitor as it is similar in height to my main screen, but requires less of a neck crank to access the panels.  I also like to have the main screen right in front of me.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,904 posts
    May 24, 2010
    May 14, 2012 1:36 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Speaking of viewing a 'Vast expanse of horizon', reminds me of some of the Gamer's monitor setups I've seen on sites Tom's hardware. Six 30 inch Ultrasharps lined up side by side in portrait orientation.

http://s2.picofile.com/file/7325086127/Eyefinity_5x1_HD3D_Z_9_285093_13.jpg

In fact I have just had a quick look round, and there some insane monitor ‘solutions’ out there!

48 inch 2880 x 900 pixels from Alienware.

http://cloud.machinesthatgobing.com/images/alienware-arc-monitor.jpg

Flight sim anyone?

http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2004/02/16/dual_display_gaming_bigs_up/excitement.jpg

What amazes me is that software companies are actually investing serious money into coding games that make full use of OTT screen realestate, which suggests that there are enough people using such setups to make it worth their while.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 3:21 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Oh, no doubt the flight simulator model appeals to a lot of people ...but I'm over 50...the cool:efficient ratio tends to shift towards the right at that age...

But honestly, I don't miss that second screen anywhere near as much as I expected I would. The interesting thing is that I find myself using - and making new - shortcuts a lot more to compensate. But the clincher was that I feel I can concentrate better by not having to look away all the time.

Actually I'm having a bit more trouble in ID and Ai, because there are more panels there in constant use. But that could also reflect the fact that I'm not quite as home there as I am in Ps.

Anyway, a couple of screens in portrait orientation might be interesting to try. Only my "primaries", not the "secondaries", could easily be set up like that, so I never tried it.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    May 14, 2012 3:57 AM   in reply to twenty_one

In a photo studio, I've set up a 24" screen in landscape, and one 24" in portrait.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,904 posts
    May 24, 2010
    May 14, 2012 4:48 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Do I recall an Apple screen that could pivot and give you a choice?  That might be useful.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 14, 2012 8:51 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Don't most of them pivot?  I know mine do, but as has been said, the 4:3 format seems natural for a dual layout.  I've often wondered if two 16:9 monitors side by side would invoke too much head movement, and it sounds like that does start to become a problem.

A pair of 30" monitors stood on end seems excessive.  I've always thought that probably just one of those could replace my dual setup, even though it would provide a smaller count of horizontal pixels (2560 vs. 3200).

Not sure I'd like a 30" on the left and a 20" on the right...  Might have some potentital though, since the 30" has 1600 pixels vertically, and one of my 20" could be turned up on end and yield 1600 pixels vertically and 1200 horizontally...

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 15, 2012 4:50 AM   in reply to mantralightroom

Not sure who you're asking that question of, or what "it" is, but I have used two monitors on Windows XP - 6 years ago.  I haven't used XP in so long I'm afraid I wouldn't be much good at advising you on specifics, other than to say I know it's possible.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,904 posts
    May 24, 2010
    May 15, 2012 5:33 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

When Windows 7 came out with its 'Windows key p' shortcut for configuring second monitors and projectors, it bought to an end years of misery for all those people who have use a data projector.  Before that you could never remember whether you had to boot the system with the projector connected and turned on, or power up the projector after the system was running.   It was one of life’s truisms that any presentation that involved a laptop and projector was not going to work first time.

Now you can hot swap laptops with the same projector, and know it is always going to work.

Win p.jpg

I don’t know how Apple systems handle projectors, but I do know that one of the speakers at a Photographic Society Convention could not connect his Apple laptop to my Epson TW3500 which had HDMI, Component, S-Video & PC connections.  (I raced back to the hotel and fetched my laptop.)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points