Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Where to find a downloadable plug-in for Illustrator CS5.x?

May 11, 2012 6:05 AM

Tags: #illustrator #cs5 #plug-in

I recently updated Adobe Ideas on my Ipad, and it came with free 2GB cloud storage.  But it also said  it requires a downloadable plug-in for Illustrator CS5.x.    I have Illustrator CS5, and I was looking for a plug-in but can only find a plug-in for Illustrator CS6 (I'm not ready to purchase a upgrade yet).   How do I find a plug-in for Illustrator CS5, please?   Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 11, 2012 9:18 AM   in reply to Tadavi77

Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop Plug-ins Beta

With the Adobe Creative Cloud desktop plug-ins, you can create files in your Adobe Touch Apps and then edit them in Adobe Creative Suite®. This install includes the Adobe Ideas (.idea) plug-in for Adobe Illustrator® CS5 and CS5.1 and the Adobe PS Touch (.psdx) plug-in for Adobe Photoshop® CS5 and CS5.1.

• Requires Adobe Photoshop or Photoshop Extended CS5 or CS5.1, Adobe Illustrator CS5 or CS5.1

https://creative.adobe.com/downloads

I believe those are what you want. Unless there might be a non beta version somewhere now since creative cloud launched?

----

EDIT: Actually alot of the files contained in that download are from November 11th 2011, so I would guess a more finalized version is available somewhere? Unless the installer downloads a current version from the internet while installing?

From the Adobe Faq page:

http://www.adobe.com/products/touchapps/faq.html#cloud

How can I use Adobe Ideas for iPad/iPhone with Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator?

Open Adobe Ideas to begin freely designing with vectors, layers, and color themes. When you're ready to move to Photoshop or Illustrator for further refinement you have some options:

• From within Adobe Ideas create a free Adobe Creative Cloud membership and sync your Ideas projects to the cloud. Then access your Creative Cloud account from your desktop computer and open the .idea file using Illustrator CS6. If you're using Illustrator CS5.x you'll need to download the Touch App Plug-in, available on the Apps and Services page of Creative Cloud.
    • Sending your Ideas project as an email will create a PDF file which can be opened by any version of Photoshop, Illustrator, or Acrobat.

So maybe once your signed to the Creative Cloud you have acess to newer non Beta downloads of the plug-ins?

* Sorry for any confusion was just trying to help you out ;-) Hopefully someone will provide a more definitive response ;-)

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 12:05 PM   in reply to Tadavi77

Tadavi77,

The Creative Cloud Desktop plugins 'beta' has been updated and replaced by the "Touch App Plugins." We'll be removing the beta from the 'downloads' page any day now.

Summary of the Touch App Plugins

• It is available for free and paid subscriptions to the Creative Cloud.  Sign in can be downloaded and installed from: www.creativecloud.com/apps *
    • Open PS Touch format (.psdx) in Photoshop CS6, CS5, and CS5.1 (includes support for layers and transparency blending modes created in PS Touch).
    • Open Adobe Ideas format (.idea) format in Illustrator CS5, CS5.1 (includes support for vector data created in Adobe Ideas)
      • Note- the Adobe Ideas format can be opened by Illustrator CS6 and no plugin required.
    • Supports all languages of Photoshop and Illustrator

* It's recommended that you uninstall the "Creative Cloud Desktop plugins" before installing the Touch App Plugins.

-- On the Mac - /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Installers/Uninstall Creative Cloud Desktop

-- Windows- Control Panel->Add Remove Programs->Uninstall Creative Cloud Desktop

* What ever the case may be, be sure to install or reinstall the Touch App Plugins AFTER you have installed a supported version Photoshop or Illustrator.

-Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 12:54 PM   in reply to Mike Wallen

Mike Wallen wrote:

The Creative Cloud Desktop plugins 'beta' has been updated and replaced by the "Touch App Plugins." We'll be removing the beta from the 'downloads' page any day now.

• It is available for free and paid subscriptions to the Creative Cloud.  Sign in can be downloaded and installed from: www.creativecloud.com/apps *

Hi MIke, thanks for clearning that up.

The link for the "Touch App Plugins" is a download for the "AdobeApplicationManager" installer, we must install and run this installer (it installed 130+ mb) just to get a few plugins?

*** Also it may still remain confusing to people as the "Touch App Plugins" states "Open and edit Touch App files in CS6 Desktop Apps" and makes no mention of CS5.X apps, for those looking for plugins for CS5.X products.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2013 2:18 PM   in reply to W_J_T

The Touch App Plugins are no longer available at https://creative.adobe.com/products
    Did I miss something, or is this true? How can I open/edit any .idea file in Illustrator CS5 now?

Bildschirmfoto 2013-10-13 um 23.15.20.png

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2013 3:44 PM   in reply to nixdesigner

You are correct that the plug-ins are no longer available at https://creative.adobe.com/products. However, if you have access to these downloads, then you should be able to download the latest version of Illustrator, which supports opening the .idea file without the need for the plug-in.

Hope that helps,

Frank

Ideas Engineering

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2013 5:40 AM   in reply to Frank Stokes-Guinan

I don´t want to rent any CC Version for now, this is why I asked for a Plug-in for CS5 …

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2013 9:32 AM   in reply to nixdesigner

You'll just need to download the Creative Cloud desktop app available at: https://creative.adobe.com/products. Once that installed you'll see the Touch Apps plug-in available under the Apps tab. Installing this will allow you to open your Ideas files in Illustrator CS5.x. You don't need to be a CC subscriber to install the Creative Cloud desktop app or download the Touch Apps plugin.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points