Jul 17, 2012 3:02 PM

Tags: #test
  Latest reply: RickCP, Aug 28, 2012 9:54 AM
Replies 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 12, 2012 7:30 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

Pat Willener wrote:

Dave Merchant wrote:

If you personalise your homepage, you can include the tree-view widget that shows every forum (along with anything else you want).

http://forums.adobe.com/index.jspa?showpersonalized=true

Thanks; didn't know about that!

But shouldn't Adobe/Jive be reponsible for providing this very basic functionality, easily available in non-Adobe forums?

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,043 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 14, 2012 5:41 AM   in reply to adobe-admin

The product icons are still the ones from CS5, and the Photoshop one seems to be saved without transparency, compared to the Illustrator one.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 8:12 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

When I hover the mouse over the Report link it just shows the hand, nothing else.

Jacob,

It is the same for me too. At least the "hand" has the index finger raised, and not another one...

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 8:13 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel,

Thank you for that tid-bit.

As I am usually reading a thread/reply up a bit on my screen, I had not noticed that info.

Appreciated,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 9:02 AM   in reply to Claudio González

Claudio González wrote:

Incidentally, when I clicked on the Reply button of the opening message of this thread to post this message, I was not taken to the last message but here:

Untitled-1.jpg

I had reported the same problem before these great changes, but nobody seemed to care or take notice.

Nobody seems to take notice or care about he probnlem I re-reported in the above message, which is not in the list on known issues.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 11:13 AM   in reply to adobe-admin

Just to rereport, in the hope that these issues will be added to the list:

Here is an even more striking appearance of what I reported in post #49 and demonstrated in post #54, notice the image at the bottom of the OP:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1005265?tstart=0

Also, the hovering over the Report button reported in post #102 still only shows the hand.

Both persisting after cache clearing.

FF12.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 15, 2012 11:31 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Jacob Bugge wrote:

Here is an even more striking appearance of what I reported in post #49 and demonstrated in post #54

Have you tweaked up the forum presentation via local changes so much that you can now see post numbers again?  Hard to imagine anyone is counting posts by hand, and I wouldn't know whether to start with 0 or 1.

I don't see anything obvious wrong with the image in the thread you identified, because you haven't provided quite enough context.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 12:27 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel,

If you switch to page 2 in this thread, my post #54 is fifth from the top, and it shows a screenshot of the appearance with the OP text in a narrow column to the right, and on top of that the box to prove that it still happened after clearing the cache. This post was an answer to post #50 by Dave at the very top of page 2, which in turn was an answer to my post #49 at the very bottom of page 1.

That is the issue that I, and some others, see in certain threads:

It seems that some silly tags eat up most of the space, working like Tabs, so the OP text only has a very limited width.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 15, 2012 1:36 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Interesting, because no matter how wide or narrow I make an IE, Firefox, or Safari window on the thread you identified, I can't make that "text squished to the right" problem occur.  I tried different zooms as well.

I can't help but think that somehow you haven't gotten all the latest bits and pieces due to caching or...  ???

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 2:39 PM   in reply to adobe-admin

Noel, John,

A moderator might have already fixed it.

Well, it seems to be partly fixed. This thread looks right now,

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1005265

but this one is still funny.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/999642?tstart=0

As noted before, the fix for this squishing on messages has been identified and is scheduled to be in the next forum update.

Thank you, John. I look forward to that; I have some recollection of your mentioning it before, in another thread, I believe.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 7:41 PM   in reply to adobe-admin

The "action bar" at the bottom of posts:

action_line.PNG

appears bit-by-bit, not all at once.  More than once I tried to click on one action button (e.g. Edit), when during the click it was replaced by another button (e.g. Delete).  Even on my rather fast Window 7 system, the whole building of that bar is very slow.

Is that some very slow JavaScript building it?  Isn't there a way to send out that complete bar at once?

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 3:27 AM   in reply to adobe-admin

I see, John. Thank you for the clarification.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 7:55 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

Pat Willener wrote:

The "action bar" at the bottom of posts:

action_line.PNG

appears bit-by-bit, not all at once.  More than once I tried to click on one action button (e.g. Edit), when during the click it was replaced by another button (e.g. Delete).  Even on my rather fast Window 7 system, the whole building of that bar is very slow.

Is that some very slow JavaScript building it?  Isn't there a way to send out that complete bar at once?

Mine comes on all at once, but when you hit Add Reply your answer appears, it blinks off then the message and action bar appears.  Takes 1 sec I would guess.  Win 7, Firefox browser.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 8:01 AM   in reply to adobe-admin

adobe-admin wrote:

Right. Each one needs to be fixed individually until the overall fix is rolled out in the next forum update.

The new forum udate is taking longer than most of us had hoped for.  The "any day now" has morphed to weeks.

Any chance it can be rolled back to previous version?

Would like to see a REAL beta test on this Forum to get the bugs worked out before it goes public.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 17, 2012 12:02 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Could it be that no actual "improvements" are forthcoming?

No disrespect intended to John C. and the other fine folks trying to make this work, but we have to start to consider this: 

Perhaps the forum is the way it is because someone in charge, possibly in a near-vacuum, has decided that all the stuff we're missing isn't good to have, and that a simpler interface is better.  This might be the same decision-making that led to the inclusion of social networking garbage (that thankfully can be blocked).

I suppose it's just barely possible - though I'll believe it when I see it - that further web software releases are now being subjected to actual testing before release. 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 3:57 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Improvements are coming.  I'd like to see them happen a bit faster as well, but they do have some fixes and changes being tested.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 8:51 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Here is a screen shot of some of the fixes being tested right now. If all goes well, they'll be in place on May 24.

update1.png

I've been out of the office most of this week doing some volunteer work with cancer survivor portraits, so I've been quiet here. But there are a number of people actively working on this.

John

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 8:56 PM   in reply to John Cornicello

And the advanced editor is back...

editor.png

And the missing/squished text in messages and documents with a lot of keywords should be fixed, too.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 17, 2012 9:15 PM   in reply to John Cornicello

Thanks for the hopeful words, John and Chris.

Here's hoping the changes are tested on more than one computer. 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 9:21 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Not everything is on the fixed list yet, but I expect a few more revisions over the next few weeks.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 4:05 AM   in reply to John Cornicello

John Cornicello wrote:

And the advanced editor is back...

editor.png

And the missing/squished text in messages and documents with a lot of keywords should be fixed, too.

Not here (FF/Mac):

Untitled-1.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,043 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    May 18, 2012 6:17 AM   in reply to Claudio González

Claudio, I guess that John speaks about the May 24 update.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 7:13 AM   in reply to Claudio González

It isn't May 24, yet in Seattle.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 2:49 PM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

PECourtejoie wrote:

Claudio, I guess that John speaks about the May 24 update.

Yes, sorry, I missed the May 24 part.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 18, 2012 5:07 PM   in reply to Claudio González

While I may be living in the past, John clearly lives in the future. 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 12:16 AM   in reply to John Cornicello

As for the "action bar" I mentioned earlier; I have now observed it very carefully, and it is displayed in two parts

1. ab1.png
    2. ab2.png

so there is no real danger that I hit Delete by mistake.  But trying to hit Reply, Edit, or Delete may end up as something else (nothing, helpful:Yes, or helpful:No).  This is just plain irritating.

Couldn't that bar be pushed out in one go?  Or at least put the left items first, then add subsequent items on the right?

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 12:22 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

Not sure if this has already been listed; the above images are completely immersed in the gray background, there is no way to see where the picture begins or ends.  I have manually added a black border to the images itself, which now look like

1. ab1.png
    2. ab2.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 4:52 AM   in reply to adobe-admin

I don't see this in the initial list, and there are too many posts to check if this has already been reported. I am getting these ghosts images in some messages, not in all; and I have not noticed any pattern; i.e it looks like a random effect. This screenshot is from the Reader forum.

Ghost.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 5:30 AM   in reply to Claudio González

Once we had the fair forums.

Now we have the haunted forums.

Apart from ghost images, I just saw the cursor jump to the far right side of this message box.

I had to exorsize what appeared to be  a nothingness to get back to writing.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 21, 2012 5:33 AM   in reply to Claudio González

Those are the tags, Claudio.

The other major problem with these, besides them being unreadable, is that when there are too many (and the window is too small) they push the text off to a tiny column on the right.

The answer is:  If they're not useful enough to be made readable, just leave them off.  Does anyone actually use or look at tags?  I think maybe I've seen once whether a user, who neglected to mention it otherwise, had a Mac or PC, but otherwise they are singularly unhelpful.  Like an electric dog polisher.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 7:57 AM   in reply to adobe-admin

I just noticed that there are several useless hacks for IE6 users in this forum template. You could save yourself a lot of trouble by moving on and focusing on fixing quirks using only modern browser targets. Removing this old IE6 code will improve delivery for everyone.

IE6 is used by people stuck on Windows 98. The only market that still uses IE6 is in Asia, where piracy is rampant and users do not need to 'activate' Windows 98. (Activation was introduced with XP).  As Adobe provides neither products nor support for Windows 98 users, it makes no sense to be bothering with IE6 compatibility here.

IE6 usage data: http://www.ie6countdown.com/

IE7 usage is comparable to IE6. You really only need to design for IE8 and above.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser_version-ww-monthly-201104-201204

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 3:18 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Thanks, Noel, for giving them a name. However, regardless of their name and what they are there for, why do I see them in only a few messages? Now that I know what they are, I remember that before this last change we had a list of tags at the end of every (?) message.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 7:53 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

Those are the tags, Claudio.

If they're not useful enough to be made readable, just leave them off.

I believe they are an important part of the Search engine.  (Or is it ask-a-question engine now?)

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 7:51 AM   in reply to Claudio González

I wonder whether they are invoked when someone ticks something, ghosts waiting to haunt us when woken.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 22, 2012 9:38 AM   in reply to Claudio González

Claudio González wrote:

why do I see them in only a few messages?

Create a new thread.  You have a field for entering tags.  Some people fill that field in and some don't.

TagsField.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 2:13 PM   in reply to adobe-admin

I cannot remember its being mentioned:

You can no longer use Back to [relevant forum name] to return to the place/page in the forum thread list that you came for. The Adobe Forums > ... > [relevant forum name] > Discussions link takes you back to the start ogf the list.

Funny, but not funny hah hah, when you are on one of the other pages.

The only way to get back is clicking the browser Back button, in most cases twice because the first time gets you nowhere else, as reported and discussed here and elsewhere.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 4:52 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Thanks, Jacob. I'll add it to the list, for what that's worth. Still trying to fight to get more things back.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 23, 2012 6:02 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Jacob, I'm not seeing problems with the Back key, but chances are I'm not using like you are.

Can you be just a little more specific about just what to click to reproduce what you're seeing?  I tried just clicking on forum posts, then clicking links within.  The Back arrow in IE9 always seems to return me to the place I was before.  I just want to make sure I'm doing exactly what you're doing.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)