Skip navigation
Victoria Bampton 5,302 posts
Apr 1, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign Crashing - Troubleshooting Steps?

May 15, 2012 6:09 AM

Has anyone managed to get the hang of getting InDesign CS6 to, well, stay open?! 

I've just tried to open my last book into ID CS6 (Creative Cloud install) to make some changes, but it crashes every time I open the documents.  It then crashes every time thereafter.  When I go clear out the recovery cache, it will then open quite happily until I try to open one of those documents.

They were created in CS5.5 in February, and I've just reopened and resaved them in CS5.5 as I initially thought it was falling over linked files that had been updated.  They're not the most straight-forward of files - they use cross-references, toc, index, loads of linked images, had the images resized using Link Optimizer, etc.  But they still work perfectly when opened in CS5.5.

I've emailed Zevrix to find out if they know of any incompabilities (waiting on reply) but the files still open quite happily in CS5.5 even on computers that don't have LO installed, so I'm not sure it's that.

The machine had Photoshop beta on it (since uninstalled) but nothing to do with InDesign prerelease.

So, where do I start troubleshooting?  I've trashed preferences, cleared recovery cache, but I'm not as familiar with InDesign as I'd like to be.  Any help would be much appreciated!

Victoria

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2012 6:25 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

I'd export each document from CS5.5 to .idml, open that in CS6, save with a new name (DON'T overwrite the originals), then add to a new book in CS6.

Cross-doc cross-refs are known to be finicky, by the way.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 8:24 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Mac or PC?

If Mac, can you post the crash report on Pastebin.com and put a link here, please. John is pretty good at analyzing crash reports, and if it's simple I may be able to tell, too.

You say you trashed prefs, but I always feel obligated to mention that it has to be done correctly (ID has multiple files that are involved). See Replace Your Preferences

Another diagnostic step is to create a new user account and try that.

.idml should come through into a newer version without loss of information, and if it's crashing, that means there's probably something wrong specifically in CS6, not in the files.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 8:26 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Well, "without loss of information" isn't really true. I should have said without loss of information necessary to rebuild the layout. You strip out a lot of extraneous stuff.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 8:47 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

It's crashing in Hyperlinks, which very well may implicate the x-refs, but I'm afraid we're getting out of my league. Hopefully John has a moment to check in....

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 9:10 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

That's encouraging.

See John's list of additonal things to remove from your main profile here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4315274

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 12:32 PM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

I was having the same problem, but I think I've figured it out. It looks like the cross-doc cross-refs are getting confused when the files are opened and it tries to update all the cross-refs, maybe because ID is adding [converted] to the filenames? Crash after crash after crash. Anyway, I opened the book, *not* the constituent files. In the book menu, I set the "Automatic Document Conversion," then updated the page numbering. That opens, converts, and saves all the constituent files as CS6 without trying to double-check the cross-refs. Now they seem to open on their own just fine.

I totally agree that cross-doc cross-refs are fragile.  I have dozens in this book, and it is really slow unless all the docs are open because it insists on continually double-checking them.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points