Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS5.5 help titles visible in CS6 Adobe Help Manager

May 9, 2012 7:11 AM

Dear  Community Help Team,

After my upgrade from CS5.5 to CS6, old Help titles were still visible in the Download Preferences section of the Help Manager.

I removed the complete CS5.5 suite to ensure a clean install of CS6. Unfortunately, the Adobe de-installation script does not clean up the CS5.5 files in the C:\Users\<name>\AppData folder of Windows 7. The same happened after my upgrade from CS4 to CS5.5.

Fortunately, I was able to fix the issues myself:

I went to:

C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\chc.4875E02D9FB21EE389F73B8D1702B32048 5DF8CE.1\Local Store\HelpCfg\en_US

Apparently, the Help Topics are built from the contents of this folder.

I removed the old .helpcfg files. If a help file is not included in Adobe Help > Download Preferences, I added them manually by going to e.g. this folder:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\HelpCfg\en_US

And copied the required .helpcfg file to the folder mentioned above.

Is there a possibility to remove old Help titles in the next de-installation script of a future CS product?

Cheers,

Dave

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 11, 2012 9:37 AM   in reply to d.p.middleton

Hi, Dave,

I think you may have the right set of content.  We've taken a different approach our help "package."  Since much of the help content is the same for CS5 and CS6, we've actually combined all the articles together.  Each article indicates which product version(s) apply.  Any CS5 features that were substantially changed for CS6 will indicate CS6 only.

Kirsti

Adobe Community Help & Learning team

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 12:13 PM   in reply to d.p.middleton

First, I do want to reassure you that all the help you see is relevant to CS6 products. 

Second, I do understand the three concerns you expressed about the changes in CS6 help.  I will definitely take them back to the broader team.

--Kirsti

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to Kirsti Aho

Sometimes, the CS5 help is very misleading when it comes to CS6. For example, the only overview for working with video in Photoshop is from CS5, but it states many things that are no longer true, like

You can work only with the visual images in a video file, not the audio.

The "new video features in CS6" article does mention the new features, but what we've lost is the ability to find a single comprehensive discussion of the features. Instead, I'm left to try to combine a bunch of different articles and videos to put together the picture.

Fortunately, there are many non-Adobe sources with information, but this seems like a step backward. I used to check Adobe help first to find an answer, and went to google only if I needed some extra help. Right now, I'm going to google since I can't find things in Adobe help.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 1:06 PM   in reply to Alan Shutko

ats@acm.org wrote:

Sometimes, the CS5 help is very misleading when it comes to CS6. For example, the only overview for working with video in Photoshop is from CS5, but it states many things that are no longer true, like

You can work only with the visual images in a video file, not the audio.

In an effort to improve search, Adobe has combined Help for CS5 and CS6 in the same navigation structure. Let us know what you think of this approach. Versions are typically identified in page titles, as in the page you refer to above.

ats@acm.org wrote:

The "new video features in CS6" article does mention the new features, but what we've lost is the ability to find a single comprehensive discussion of the features. Instead, I'm left to try to combine a bunch of different articles and videos to put together the picture.

Over time, we'll link to and embed more and more video tutorials directly in the Help topics themselves. Will that address your main concern, or is there another form of content you'd prefer to see?

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 1:23 PM   in reply to Mark Wheeler

I generally prefer some comprehensive reference documentation in text form, with demos and howtos in video form.  That way, I can quickly skim the text if I'm looking for something specific.

If the videos also had complete transcripts, those might work as well, but text works better for me.

My main frustration above was that in order to understand how to deal with video in CS6, I first need to read the CS5 documentation and understand that, then read the What's New article to see what's changed, and put them together in my mind. For example, I was wondering whether there was an easy way to freeze the video on a frame for a few seconds and then let it keep playing. If there were a single comprehensive article I could look through it and figure out if there was a command built in or not. As it is, I have to go looking through multiple articles, and I'm never quite sure if the answer I'm looking for is in a different article I just didn't find yet.

I miss the outline and organization from previous incarnations of help. That created a structure, and I could go to a section and read through multiple related articles in order.  The structure seems to be gone now.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 5:17 PM   in reply to d.p.middleton

Here are links to the documents for all CS6 applications, in both PDF and HTML format:

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2010/08/help-documents-for- creative-suite-5-pdf-and-html.html

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points