Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PS6 took 2 steps forward and 5 steps back

May 15, 2012 6:39 AM

Two really annoying things that adobe removed from cs6.

1. Previewing psd's in the open dialog.

2. With the type tool when clicking on text it doesn't show you the color of the text until AFTER you select some text....in cs5 clicking with the type tool between two letters would show you the color of those letters. Now..you have just black....a needlessly added step in my workflow...

Honestly I don't see reasons to get cs6, so buggy and so many missing features that I can't remember off the top of my mind.

Not only that but you STILL haven't fixed the retarded help pop up issue. For a few new features cs6 is hardly worth the money.

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,480 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 15, 2012 6:55 AM   in reply to genoism

As a pretty good workaround for the first issue, assuming you're using Windows, try getting a Codec pack that will provide you thumbnails of all your image types in all forms of Windows Explorer (which is what Photoshop's File-Open dialog is).  My preference is the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack.

See also:  http://forums.adobe.com/message/4408757?tstart=0#4369021

I'm not finding Photoshop CS6 buggy...  What specifically are you having go wrong?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,480 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 15, 2012 7:10 AM   in reply to genoism

It might help to describe what you're doing when Photoshop help pops up.  I know people have been looking for that problem for years, but I think that's a symptom of general corruption, and it's not a given that the same things cause it on every system.  I haven't had the Help facility pop up at all with Photoshop CS6, and only very rarely with Photoshop CS5 (which may say I just haven't been using Photoshop CS6 long enough to have it happen).

If you could find a way to reproduce the problem reliably, I'm sure the Adobe folks would love you for it.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    May 15, 2012 7:54 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Please provide some informations about your system, and when you have the help pop up, in this thread on feedback: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/_adobe_community _help_keeps_popping_open

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    May 15, 2012 10:36 AM   in reply to genoism

It's a feature, not a bug. For 100%, just type in "0" and for 0%, type in 00. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but it is to match other Adobe apps.

1 gives you 10%, 2 20%, etc.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,480 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 15, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

PECourtejoie wrote:

It's a feature, not a bug. For 100%, just type in "0" and for 0%, type in 00. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but it is to match other Adobe apps.

1 gives you 10%, 2 20%, etc.

I don't see any such behavior.  Is it maybe a Mac-only thing?

If I click in the Opacity: field in the Layers panel and type in there it just takes the numbers I type.

I see the behavior you describe if I click on the layer itself, but given that there are multiple numeric fields (i.e., Opacity and Fill) I certainly wouldn't expect that what I type there should go into any particular box.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2012 12:37 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Yep. On Mac with with layer targeted (no competing input windows, like a brush tool) 00=0%, 1=10%, 2=20%,... 9=90%, 0=100% Opacity.

Not that way in Windows?

With the type tool when clicking on text it doesn't show you the color of the text until AFTER you select some text....in cs5 clicking with the type tool between two letters would show you the color of those letters. Now..you have just black....a needlessly added step in my workflow...

Does not seem to be the case here. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,480 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 15, 2012 12:58 PM   in reply to genoism

genoism wrote:

I'm on a PC, win7.

I'm not talking about typing it directly into the opacity field...that works fine. I'm talking about when you have, for example, the move tool on and using the number pad to type in numbers. Typing in 00 gives me still 0.....if i type in 10 and then wait like 3-4 seconds and push another 0, THEN it will give me 100! Typing in 0 gives me 0 too.....so no easy way to hit 100.

Pretty retarded imo.

So what you're saying is that you don't think Adobe's idea of how to shortcut the layer opacity setting process matches your expectations very well.  I can't help but think you're expecting it to work in a way differently than it does, and practice will help. 

These numbers you're typing aren't really the opacity, they're more like sequences of shortcut keys to select specific settings.

Just hitting the 0 key (without being in the Opacity field) sets it to 100% for me.  Something must be special about your particular setup if typing a 0 out of the blue will not take you to 100%.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 2:56 PM   in reply to genoism

genoism wrote:

I'm on a PC, win7.

I'm not talking about typing it directly into the opacity field...that works fine. I'm talking about when you have, for example, the move tool on and using the number pad to type in numbers. Typing in 00 gives me still 0.....if i type in 10 and then wait like 3-4 seconds and push another 0, THEN it will give me 100! Typing in 0 gives me 0 too.....so no easy way to hit 100.

Pretty retarded imo.

The way it works on my pc is that with any of the first 7 tools selected and with a layer selected then :

* pressing a two digit sequence changes the opacity of the selected layer to the two digit sequence typed: 00 yields  0%, 15 yields 15%

* pressing a single digit changes the opacity to 10 times the number entered:   1 yields 10 %, 2 yields 20 % ......0 yields 100%

If any of the brush tools are selected then the above actions changes the opacity of the brush (not the layer).

Paulo

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 7:50 PM   in reply to genoism

As far as the type tool it seems to work just like cs5 on the production version of cs6 (not the beta version) on windows 8.

type-1.png

type-2.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,480 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 15, 2012 8:29 PM   in reply to genoism

Nope.  Updates on the first click for me.

Did you see the key thing that R_Kelly said:  With the released Photoshop CS6 it updates right away.

What you're reporting sounds like what the Photoshop beta version did.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 1:05 AM   in reply to genoism

If your using the production version of cs6 then it could have to do with your video card.

Try setting the Edit>Preferences>Performance> Use Graphics Processor>Advanced Settings to Basic.

Or uncheck Use Graphics Processor.

After seeting either one restart photoshop and see if that makes a difference.

Added: Actually i don't have the cs6 beta installed anymore so i don't recall if that happened in the beta.

I think though that was reported in the photoshop cs6 beta forum.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)