Skip navigation

Help! Colour banding graphics problem /posterization?

May 4, 2012 8:43 PM

Tags: #cs4 #color #graphics #card #gradients #banding #posterization
  Latest reply: adambrandrick111, May 21, 2012 6:43 AM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2012 1:41 PM   in reply to adambrandrick111

I can only guess that a combinational problem has somehow mislead you into eliminating the real culprit somewhere along the way...  A few things still come to mind, and the others have mentioned some as well above:

1.  Try swapping out the monitor cable.  Has that been constant in all this?  What port are you actually using on the video card?  DVI?

2.  Make sure, as I mentioned before, that the remnants of your prior video drivers are removed.

3.  Get the latest display driver from ATI's web site.

When you say any app, what app specifically have you tried that does NOT use color-management?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 15, 2012 2:56 PM   in reply to adambrandrick111

I know this must be getting VERY tedious for you, but one thing making it a bit more difficult to try to help is that you're not quite answering all questions...

I think it MUST be that the problem is somewhere downstream of the video card...

What kind of connections are you making at the video card and monitor?  DVI?  VGA?  HDMI?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 15, 2012 3:00 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

One other thing I thought you might check for:  Any software starting up with the system or when you log in that does something to the display.  It's a longshot but I suppose something could be writing strange calibrations to the display card.

A good free program for reviewing everything that's running (and disabling that which you don't want running) is Autoruns, which can be found here:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2012 3:10 PM   in reply to adambrandrick111

FWIW, I got a malware alert from MS security essentials on that imageshack link:

trojan.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 15, 2012 3:37 PM   in reply to adambrandrick111

Because of the need to generate and interpret analog levels, D to A to D conversion in VGA connections can yield more posterization under some conditions than DVI.  I've seen that myself.

Does your monitor not have DVI capability?

We've been going on the assumption that this banding is new, but is it possible you've had it all along and just didn't notice?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 15, 2012 3:43 PM   in reply to twenty_one

D Fosse wrote:

FWIW, I got a malware alert from MS security essentials on that imageshack link:

Dag, I don't know if you use IE but if so, I can suggest ways to set it up that make it far less likely it will deliver malware to your system.  I never allow ActiveX to run from sites on the wild internet - only from those in my Trusted Sites zone.  This has the added side benefit of blocking many ads as well.  Ads are usually what deliver malware.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 4:32 PM   in reply to adambrandrick111

Can you please, explain how you made the tests that ruled out your monitor. Did you make the tests with the other 3 monitors after you got the new video card? And using what kind of cables.

It could be hat you had previously bad video card and bad monitor combination. You also have to make sure that the other monitors you tried can display properly the test images without banding when used with other systems.

My monitor has VGA, HDMI, and Display port connectors, When connected with VGA to a video card, the display is total crap.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 15, 2012 4:57 PM   in reply to adambrandrick111

Well, you pretty much 100% eliminated the video card.  What's left?  Try a DVI monitor with a DVI cable, or reinstall Windows?

I have a monitor here on a system connected with VGA, and to be honest I don't see posterization in the images shown in this thread, except for in your photo.

Notably most of them are so dark I can't see much of anything.  Is it possible your monitor is just turned up much brighter than it was at one point?

Let me ask you this:  In the following diagram, once you click on it to make it full-sized, do you see the following:

• Relatively smooth gray gradients for the two big vertical columns.
    • Dark gray boxes barely visible in the small vertical dark bar at the upper-right.
    • Pretty much a black line in the small vertical dark bar at the lower right.

2.20 Gamma Calibration.png

If not, please take another camera phone photo and post it here.  You can upload it directly to this forum via the little camera icon at the top of the edit box.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 10:17 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I don't want to take the thread off topic, so just a quick note to say that no, I didn't mean to imply that adambrandrick111 has malware on his system. It was just a "watch out".

This was a nasty little bugger that very nearly bit me. It masqueraded as a genuine MS security essentials popup, while in fact that was the trojan itself. It would have been set off if I had clicked "repair the problem" immediately. Luckily I didn't, I just closed the page, but it had already got a foot in the door. A scan found the trojan in C:\Users\Dag Fosse\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles.

Whew. Close call. This was Firefox, Noel, so I don't know if you have anything for that?

Back to topic. This one beats me.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 16, 2012 4:06 AM   in reply to twenty_one

Only thing is to be sure you have good antimalware software on task.

One of the reasons I prefer IE is that the security zone concept works.  Microsoft just doesn't populate the default settings to be particularly secure - they prefer you see all the ads and glitz.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 16, 2012 12:59 PM   in reply to adambrandrick111

Your monitor is showing your images WAY too brightly.  I believe this is the problem.  It's so far out of norm from the expected 2.2 gamma that you're seeing the posterization in very dark places that most folks don't see.

Check your on-monitor controls and adjust them so that you see the test pattern as I have described it.

You might want to try things and see how much better your performance is before taking the new card back.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 1:50 PM   in reply to adambrandrick111

Make sure you get a decent monitor first. If you get only a computer box and use it with your current monitor you most likely will still have that problem.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 16, 2012 2:12 PM   in reply to adambrandrick111

I think the tip of the iceberg that is at the root of this problem is the fact that you're seeing things that should be almost black as gray.

Something is either programming your video card's (and onboard video adapter's) brightness/contrast/gamma settings WAY out of whack, or your monitor itself is somehow way off in its own calibration.

Something you've done that eliminated one of the parts as a suspect was in error.  Either that or we have to begin to question the statement, "computers can work".

Sorry we couldn't come to a good resolution.  It's things like this that drive people to throw away everything and start fresh.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 4:16 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Sounds like bad RAM.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...