Skip navigation
This discussion is locked
Currently Being Moderated

Webcam/incoming video not working with flash 11

Apr 5, 2012 11:46 PM

Tags: #flash #video #audio #firefox #choppy #webcam #player #chrome #room #shockwave #chat #freezing #skipping #cam

I use a chat room which uses adobe flash for webcams to video conference. I've used adobe flash for webcam purposes for years without an issue but all of a sudden my outgoing video/audio doesn't work and incoming audio/video is very choppy. My webcam freeze frames on the first image it sees, and incoming audio/video just skips like a broken CD. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling flash, uninstalling reinstall chrome, different browers...but the problem only exists in adobe flash. My webcam works fine in non-flash programs (i.e. Skype), as well as incoming audio/video. I believe this problem occured directly after the latest flash update. What can I do?

Specs:

2005 Dell Inspiron

32 Bit

Browser: Chrome (but tried also firefox, IE and still didnt work)

Webcam: MS Lifecam VX-3000

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 7, 2012 9:21 AM   in reply to omeniv

I have the same problem, also started when updated to newest flash. I have reinstalled flash and webcam software, but nothing seems to work.

Specs:

64 Bit

Browser: Firefox

Webcam: MS Lifecam VX-1000

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 4:32 PM   in reply to omeniv

I spent a good 2 days on this and finally I have a solution to this problem. You need to uninstall all flash players you have on your computer by going to control panel > Add/remove programs.

Once you do that go to: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions. html

download and install this:

(Released 3/05/2012) Flash Player 11.1.102.63 (174 MB)

note that you have to close all web browsers before you uninstall and install flash

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 7:26 AM   in reply to omeniv

I have exactly the same problem. Also a Microsoft Lifecam (VX 1000).

I will try the solution that Roozbeh07 provided, but if that works. It will not solve the problem for users coming to your site with and "updated" version of flash. Adobe needs to have this fixed asap, maybe more webcam brands have this issue.

This is realy bad.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 7:43 AM   in reply to omeniv

Alright the solution above from Roozbeh07 works.

Uninstalling the latest version and then installing version 11.1.102.63 does the trick. But as I wrote in my previous post: i'm concerned for other users who have Lifecam's (or other brands that might not work) and visit your site.

I have created a bugreport on this: https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3160365

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 12:54 PM   in reply to omeniv

Glad it worked for you guys.

If you want to use it with chrome you need to disable the flash plugin that comes with chrome first.

In order to do that you need to open a new tab/window and in the address bar type:   chrome://plugins/     or   chrome:plugins

if you disable it and go to the flash website, you can instal one over it. At least that is what I did and it worked.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 1:41 PM   in reply to omeniv

Also make sure after installing the older version to have autoupdate turned off. I had to redo everything because it just updated to the lastest version again.

You can turn off autoupdate from within the flashplayer application (on windows : Control panel --> flash player --> advanced --> 'never check for updates').

I think it is save to update again if this issue has been resolved: https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3160365

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 8:50 PM   in reply to Roozbeh07

since it is a zipped file, I suppose I don't know how to install it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 9:08 PM   in reply to b.k.moss

There is a readme inside the zip file read that to select which flash player version you need.

If say XP and Internet Explorer...

then double click on:

flashplayer11_1r102_63_winax_32bit.exe and it should install

Note to disable updates on flash V11.1.102.63 you need to go to global notification settings and uncheck "notify of updates" as in control panel --->> Flash Player -->> Advanced tab I found mine was greyed out.

I have Life-cam VX-3000 and wondered what the hell had happened as all I was getting was very dark screen when I tried to load my webcam and then after trying to adjust settings I just a totally frozen picture.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,446 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Apr 20, 2012 3:35 PM   in reply to Damuzz

If possible, please take a minute and vote for the following bug related to Webcam's and Flash Player 11.2

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3160365

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 12:42 PM   in reply to omeniv

OMG the same has happened to me.  After being pestered countless times to download the latest adobe flashplayer i did so...BIG MISTAKE

Now my microsft Lifecam has stopped working and as an old guy living alone with only the bare minimum computer experience I am completely beside myself!

I don't understand all the computer mumbojumbo...i need a fix that either just says 'click on this link to download the remedy and then restart your compuer, or I need step by step guidance because I am hopeless.

I cannot begin to say how betrayed I feel.  It is my only link with family and it is now lost.  My webcam is working fine, if i click the desktop icon it shows me perfectly, but in chatrooms i get one (bad) still picture and then it freezes.  Please help!!

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,446 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Apr 10, 2012 1:11 PM   in reply to MarkyMark2000

Here are the steps required to install the previous version

1. Uninstall Flash Player using the stand alone uninstaller using these instructions

2. Download the previous version of Flash Player here: Flash Player 11.1.102.63

Note: This downloads a .zip file that contains all of the different releases of Flash Player for that version (ie. Windows, Mac, etc.)

3. Extract the contents of this zip file

4. Depending on your operating system and browser, go into either the 64 or 32 bit folders (do not use the debug folder) then double click the following filename to start the installation:

Internet Explorer for Windows 7 64-bit: flashplayer11_1r102_63_winax_64bit.exe

Other browsers for Windows 7 64-bit: flashplayer11_1r102_63_win_64bit.exe

Internet Explorer for all Windows 32-bit systems: flashplayer11_1r102_63_win_32bit.exe

Other browsers for all Windows 32-bit systems: flashplayer11_1r102_63_winax_32bit.exe

Mac OSX: flashplayer11_1r102_64_mac.dmg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 12:52 PM   in reply to omeniv

well i think i uninstalled ok

then i downloaded the previous version

all the rest of the instruction is complete balderdash...i have no idea what it all means...i think Vista Home Premium is 32 bit

i don't know what an Application is...nor a Windows Installer and I can't find anywhere a file ending in 32bit.exe

as i cannot find the filename, i cannot double click it

i have been trying for three hours and am nowhere near

it took just a few minutes to download the new version, how come it is so difficult to get rid of it?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 3:40 PM   in reply to omeniv

good to hear that this issue isnt just with me and that Adobe are now aware of this.

There must be a lot of cam users worldwide that are wondering why their cams have suddenly stopped working?

Wonder when a fix will be found for this and a new update?

I did the uninstall and re-install of the previous version but it just caused too many other problems.

I will now wait patirntly for the fix!!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 5:29 PM   in reply to kenjackson30

Well if Adobe are now aware of this issue how we will know if it is really fixed - I just dont wanna go thru another update then find it does not work and have to go thru

the hassle of un-installing everything again and re-installing a version I know that does work.

I just wonder the same how many users might think their webcams are broken when it is a software issue only. I thought this thus and had uninstalled by webcam & software

only to find that it had no effect and only realized it was an issue when I googled "lifecam VX-3000 not working and flash" and got this forum and thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 10:38 AM   in reply to omeniv

So I followed the instructions here, including turning off the auto update first thing. Clicking on the zip file to download, I still get the pop up telling me there is a newer version of flash I need to install, so I can't install the old version. Any ideas?

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,446 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Apr 13, 2012 12:30 PM   in reply to ksheila

kseila - did you run the stand alone uninstaller first?  Are you blocked from installing the previous version or do you just get the pop up after you've installed Flash Player?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 7:25 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I got it going. I had to fix it to install around my firewall and my ad-on shockwave flash was not enabled. Enabled it and even the latest version works fine now in Internet Explorer.

Sheila

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 8:36 AM   in reply to MarkyMark2000

i have sorted mine too.  After uninstalling Flash 11, i tried my cam but it wanted to download 11 yet again...so i searched for version 10 on line and downloaded that free of chage...now my cam works again.

Yay.

But i will never, ever, trust Adobe again.

Marky

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 3:21 PM   in reply to omeniv

Spoke over telephone with Adobe representative, regarding issues with webcam not working, he said there was no information, postings ect. regarding this issue.  Adobe not aware of any problem, no bug present, not doing anything about it.  I told him it was quite odd that there were so many postings in forum here on this issue, all having same problem, and ridiculous that Adobe has not a clue, that problem even exsists, or let alone offering solution.  He insisted that he could find no listings, postings, whatever regarding this problem.

What is problem with Adobe? What does it take to get this matter resolved?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 5:52 PM   in reply to omeniv

Uninstalling Flash, downloading 11.1.102.63 from http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions. html and it works fine now... I guess I'll have to wait for the next update!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 8:55 PM   in reply to omeniv

Flash Player games, video, or audio don't work ---WIndows

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-player-games-video-or.htm l

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,446 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Apr 20, 2012 3:35 PM   in reply to yabbadoobie

I don't know who you spoke with, though I assume it's someone in the tech support team.  The Flash Player engineering team is aware of this issue and I have it as one of the top issues against Flash Player 11.2.  We've reproduced this with at least one camera (the MS Lifecam VX-1000) and are investigating further. 

I encourage you to vote for the following bug and leave a comment with the camera/OS that you are using.

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3160365

yabbadoobie wrote:

Spoke over telephone with Adobe representative, regarding issues with webcam not working, he said there was no information, postings ect. regarding this issue.  Adobe not aware of any problem, no bug present, not doing anything about it.  I told him it was quite odd that there were so many postings in forum here on this issue, all having same problem, and ridiculous that Adobe has not a clue, that problem even exsists, or let alone offering solution.  He insisted that he could find no listings, postings, whatever regarding this problem.

What is problem with Adobe? What does it take to get this matter resolved?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 8:39 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

this is so unfair on us older less geeky users

i tried the fix about 20 times and still itg will not work...#

I think I'll ditcvh this computer lark... nothing but trouble and outfits like Adobe, who you think you should trust and then find you are wrong

bye internet world

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 9:13 AM   in reply to andyy680

andy,

Are you running IE? If so, make sure the addon for Adobe Flash is installed, and also check your firewall.

Look over this page and see if any of it helps. The things I listed are what fianlly got it working for me.

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-pla yer-windows.html#Determine_whether_an_older_Flash_Player_version_is_al ready_installed_on_your_computer 

Sheila

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 5:07 AM   in reply to omeniv

just updated Flash to latest ver 11.2.202.233

Still same problems with my webcam.

Wonder what Adobe is estimating timescale for getting this fixed?

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 5:56 PM   in reply to omeniv

Same thing here on a mac osx snow leopard.  Updated to latest flash 11 didnt work.  Basically it just doesnt recognize the lifecam show as an available video source even though it works fine in all other applications.  It does recognize it as a microphone so it's definitely a real device just not seeing its video.  BUMMER!

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,446 posts
    May 4, 2010
    May 4, 2012 5:58 PM   in reply to zonathen

Can you give our 11.3 Beta 3 release a try?  From what I understand it should be fixed there.  Please let us know how it works for you.

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 6:51 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Well it did seem promising.  The camera showed up in the video source list after the update but no video is actually streaming from it.  I tried ustream as well and it is showing the camera as an option now but complaining that no video source is available even after choosing it.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,446 posts
    May 4, 2010
    May 11, 2012 3:33 PM   in reply to zonathen

zonathen - What version of the lifecam are you using?

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 2:47 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

It is a ms lifecam show model # 1139

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 4:16 PM   in reply to Roozbeh07

great help! I have spent several weeks wondering why my webcam wouldnt work any more! I knew it wasnt the cam as I tried it on a different computer, I downloaded new software for it pent hours on anti virus sites etc etc. What a waste of time when all it was was Adobe causing the problem!

Poor show Adobe!

really need to make sure this kind of thing doesnt happen again or if it does -FIX IT!

We shouldnt have to be downloading older versions of software to enable things to keep working!

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,446 posts
    May 4, 2010
    May 15, 2012 5:19 PM   in reply to nomis1955

Nomis - Does the new 11.3 beta 3 release resolve the problem for you?  If not, what OS and camera are you using?

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 2:59 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

11.3 Beta 3 has fixed the problem on my VX-1000 running under Windows XP Professional

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 2:35 PM   in reply to BonzoTW

11.3 Beta 3 has also fixed my problem on mmy old webcam using XP

Good news! and thanks for the fix,

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 9:39 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I had a website with Flash video issues. Ever since 11.1.xx I had issues with streaming video using the FMS with Firefox. I tried the 11.3 beta and now video and other .swfs behave properly in Firefox. Thanks for this release. 

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points