Skip navigation
mcglone007
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS6 crashes all the time and especially when using the type tool... please help!

May 16, 2012 8:19 AM

Tags: #crash #tool #type

Photoshop CS6 crashes all the time and especially when using the type tool... please help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 16, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to mcglone007

Without any informattion on OS or computer spec. I would guess it is the video card driver.  Make sure it is updated.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 8:45 AM   in reply to mcglone007

With a Mac you have to take whatever drivers are offered.

A post yesterday person had same problem.  Apple supplied driver was just bad.

What video card are you using?  Do you have another you can change to?

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 9:35 AM   in reply to mcglone007

The ATI card should work.  Have you tried to diaable OpenGL?

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 1:48 PM   in reply to mcglone007

Do you have any 3rd party fonts installed?  If so disable them.  Same for 3rd party plugins.

After that guess you need to look at crash report.  I really can not read Mac's very well.

Best to give a look and see if there is some program that jumps out at you.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 3:56 PM   in reply to mcglone007

mcglone007 wrote:

I guess I could diable that but I really need that plug-iin.... I think I will have to wait til apple or adobe fix this issue!

thanks.bily

Just disable for a test.  If it still does not work then you know that is not it.

Waiting for Apple or Adobe to fix something will only work if they can reproduce the problem on their computers.  So you need to figure out what it is first.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 6:59 PM   in reply to mcglone007

I'm having the same problem.  However, I have a Dell Inspiron. Therefore, it's not just a Mac problem

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 7:24 PM   in reply to renaemcm

What video card and driver do you have?

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 8:10 PM   in reply to mcglone007

Any chance you have a font named "Bustle" installed?  Looks like you do from the crash reports.

We've indentified corruption in that font file as causing a particular problem inside CoolType, and are investigating a fix for it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 9:40 PM   in reply to Curt Y

I'm not sure.  Where is this information located?  Note: I checked my updates and they are current.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 9:44 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

I checked my fonts and I do not have bustle.  When it crashes, a Data Execution Protection box comes up...When I tried to follow the instructions to turn off  DEP, it wouldn't allow it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 11:14 PM   in reply to renaemcm

Crud - that means that there's a second font that triggers the same problem.

Well, at least we'll fix both with the same CoolType fix.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 3:29 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

I have been having issues with lagging when using the text tool in Photoshop CS6. Is this CoolType fix going to resolve these issues? Mine isn't crashing as of yet, but it certainly slows down productivity. Would disabling fonts cause this issue to be fixed?

I remember this happening with Photoshop CS5 when it came out as well.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to AjenappleAlan

Ajen - I have no idea, since you're having a competely different issue.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 12:09 PM   in reply to mcglone007

Billy - yes, we are working on a fix.  Disabling the font is just a temporary work around.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 1:28 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Well, I don't know what the issue is really. When I start to use the text tool in CS6 it bogs down it seems. Writing text can cause the spinning beach ball of death to start or the abobe five circle of misery to act up with every text edit. The thing is, it don't happen all zee time soooo, I can't be sure what is the issue. I know, not much help. Buuuut it does sound a lot like the issue that had happened, oh way back in May 13, 2010. When there was issues in CS5. You made comments on it then, and it seems to be acting up again now in CS6.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2812493

Just trying to bring the issue to your attention as it seems as though it is a bug.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 3:13 PM   in reply to AjenappleAlan

Ajen - ok, then post a new topic, because you have a different issue than what is being discussed in this topic.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 8:15 AM   in reply to mcglone007

I updated my Radon driver to 8.96.0.0 (May 5, 2012)  for 4800 series card. Prior to the update had zero problems. Since update have had a couple of blue screens related to video driver. Also CS6 was crashing but more frequently I would get a garbeled screen on occasion. Disabled Open GL and PS seems fine now. Driver seems problematic on my system (Win 7  high spec components). Seems to be the ATI driver in my case.

Larry

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 8:18 AM   in reply to leuallen

leuallen wrote:

I updated my Radon driver to 8.96.0.0 (May 5, 2012)  for 4800 series card. Prior to the update had zero problems. Since update have had a couple of blue screens related to video driver. Also CS6 was crashing but more frequently I would get a garbeled screen on occasion. Disabled Open GL and PS seems fine now. Driver seems problematic on my system (Win 7  high spec components). Seems to be the ATI driver in my case.

Larry

There have been reports that the catalist 12.4 is buggy.  Rolling back to 12.2 is a good solultion until they are fixed.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 11:46 AM   in reply to mcglone007

I am having the same problem only I have a HP Pavilion g7 Notebook, but it seems it happens when I either use the fx tools or open a file from outside photoshop.....Didn't have a problem with CS5 at all. This is only the trial version, but I think I'll wait to buy CS6 and stay with CS5. Unless they come out with a CS6.5 fast....

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 2:22 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

I have these issues using this font: Anime Ace 2.0 (from dafont.com).

It's quite frustrating, cs6 crashes everytime I use the text tool reporting my video card driver stops working.

I'm with a amd hd 6770m on a notebook and never had this problem before (and of course drivers are up to date).

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 11, 2012 9:11 AM   in reply to Chimerarth

It's good of you to name the font and the symptom - I'm sure the Adobe people would like to know and who knows?  They might even be able to add some robustness to Photoshop so it won't crash.

Beyond that, it may be that that font is malformed somehow.  Given that, it may be a matter of:

Patient:  "Doc!  It hurts when I do this!"

Doc:  <slapping patient on the head with a newspaper> "Well, then, don't do that!"

Oh, this occurred to me:  Did you install both the OpenType and TrueType flavors?  I believe you only want to install one or the other.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 11, 2012 9:20 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

By the way, I tried installing just the TTF files...  No problems here (ATI 5670 with Catalyst 12.6).

AnimeAce2.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 12:31 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

When I first used this font I installed the TTF only, now I tried the OTF, and I thought to have found a solution.

At the beginning it was smooth and no crash occured, but after 2-3 hours of work even the OTF gave me the same issues, screen goes black and cs6 need to be closed in order to "see something on the screen".

I know I can easily change font or whatever, but i'm working on a comic and I'm almost at the end... and to switch fonts from each cloud seems so hard and tedious that I'd love to have a different way to solve this. But I don't want to whine, I think I'll get used to it and slowly change the fonts used.

Thanks for your help, Noel.

Edit: I need to be clear about this font. It crash only if I work with it for more than 1 hour. The file size grows from 20 mb to 34-35 when i use the text tool but when I reopen the file after the crash its size is still 21-22mb.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 12, 2012 4:11 AM   in reply to Chimerarth

There's a pretty bad text bug with Photoshop CS6 where text gets shuffled between layers.  Make sure and save multiple versions of your master file in case that bug is somehow playing in this situation.  Adobe says they're working on the fix to it.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 7:33 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Today I tried a different font (Comicbook, very similar to the previous one) and after about 8-9 hours of work it gave me the same problem(s). Again and again. I'll wait for a fix because at this point it can only be the bug you mentioned above.

It's definitely not caused by the AnimeACE 2.0, sorry for the misdirection and thanks for your helpful review of the font

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 13, 2012 9:31 AM   in reply to Chimerarth

Thanks for the follow-up.

It may be pertinent to ask, are you on Mac or PC?  What OS?  What you're describing sounds a bit like a resource exhaustion issue, which on PCs can sometimes be traced to bugs/leaks in display drivers, and often updating to a more recently released display driver version solves them.

The bug I mentioned happens, if I recall correctly, when saving a document in the background.  If you have not been doing saves it may not be responsible. 

It may be helpful to you to create a new thread, list your system details (e.g., from Help - System Info...), and describe the problem in detail, including the exact wording (even screen grabs) showing the errors.  Also, there may be logs on your system that would provide additional info.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2012 10:23 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Have you figured out which font is the culprit yet? I am having the same issue. Only staredd after I got the license code. I have Vista which I'm wondering if thay's the issue....maybe? It seems to happen when I use the brush tool, however. It might be  a brush that I've downloaded? Please help. I have work that NEEDS to get finished.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2012 1:54 AM   in reply to cmgiddens

For me what I had to do was change the Type to East Asian. Was set on Middle Eastern. Go into prefrences/type and make the change there. Hope it helps with your problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2012 10:56 AM   in reply to mcglone007

Photoshop is sensitive to fonts. Fonts might be corrupt (this could differ system to system, where the same fonts will not affect PS in the same way - only on the system, where they have become corrupt). However, corrupt fonts are not the only cause. Some fonts are poorly-written, and PS cannot use them. This will usually manifest itself the same on various systems, if the fonts are identical. Also, though they seldom crash PS, some fonts just do not display properly - one often gets boxes, instead of the font's correct characters.

Tracking down the faulting font can be a bit labor intensive. Fixing, or deleting corrupt fonts can be much easier, with some utilities. This article goes into more detail, and also has a good link to font issues in PS: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/479026?tstart=0

Note: the article was originally written for Titler, which is a sub-program within Adobe Premiere Pro (the video editing program), and it is even more sensitive to fonts, than is PS. Also, just because a font works in other programs, say your word processor, that does not mean that the same font will work in PS, or that it will display properly.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - there are also some foundries, that do a much better job of writing fonts, than some others do. Just because one foundry's version does not work, does not mean that the same, or very similar font from another souce will not.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points