Skip navigation
perjonas1
Currently Being Moderated

Problem with recovered files

May 16, 2012 9:35 AM

I am using Photoshop Elements 10 on a Mac. I recently mistakenly formatted a SD card on my camera. I used an application available from the Apple Store called Klix to recover the files on the SD card. When I tried to load the recovered jpg files in to the organizer, I got a message that either the files were already in the catalog (which they were not) or that it was an unsupported filetype. iPhoto was able to load the files with out a problem. I also tried to export the recovered files out of iPhoto and import those in to organizer .. same message

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 16, 2012 10:02 AM   in reply to perjonas1

Try opening them in preview and resaving as jpg.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 1:00 PM   in reply to perjonas1

Do you mean that you are unable to resave the preview as a JPG, or that you could, but the resaved JPG does not import with the same or a different error?

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 1:57 PM   in reply to perjonas1

That suggests the photo already exists in the catalog, or something more complicated is occurring.  Recovered files off a card might have extra junk in them that is causing a minor error that iPhoto forgives but not Elements, but a new JPG saved from a preview should contain the correct JPG structure so shouldn’t be causing any error.   If you want, upload one of your problem recovered JPGs to www.dropbox.com or www.yousendit.com and post a public download link to it so others can try to import it and see if they get an error or not.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 3:31 PM   in reply to perjonas1

When I download that file, the actual file extension shown in finder is.jpg.html. Try erasing the .html part.

Actually, there is something pretty wrong with it--no application on my mac sees it as a jpg--they all say it's an application.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points